Who has had better cars - Hamilton or Vettel?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Webber2011

Re: Who has had better cars - Hamilton or Vettel?

I know this is F1 Technical, and 90% of you are far more knowledgeable and indeed technically minded than I am, but..............
If anyone can come up with a formula to decide who's had the better cars, I'll be amazed ;)

I'd imagine the only way to do it would be to drag all those cars out from wherever they are hiding, get "The Stig" to run them around every track they ever competed on, and then make a comparison !

Seriously, I'm just having a joke because as I said I'm not smart enough to think of any other way ;)

TAG

Just read (okay skimmed some) this entire thread and I didn't see anyone mention a simple yet very glaring fact of all. Until least year, Hamilton had never won an F1 race in a WCC winning car.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Emmcee

TAG wrote:Just read (okay skimmed some) this entire thread and I didn't see anyone mention a simple yet very glaring fact of all. Until least year, Hamilton had never won an F1 race in a WCC winning car.
Doesn't 2007 count? That year Mclaren was clearly the fastest and the championship was all but guranteed to either Hamilton or alonso. Just poor team management literally gave it to kimi.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

Gaz.

Emmcee wrote:
TAG wrote:Just read (okay skimmed some) this entire thread and I didn't see anyone mention a simple yet very glaring fact of all. Until least year, Hamilton had never won an F1 race in a WCC winning car.
Doesn't 2007 count? That year Mclaren was clearly the fastest and the championship was all but guranteed to either Hamilton or alonso. Just poor team management literally gave it to kimi.
Mclaren didn't win the WCC though, Ferrari did. :)
Forza Jules

Moose

Emmcee wrote:
I completely disagree. The Ferrari was the clearly faster car that year, just it didn't have two excellent drivers in it.

flynfrog

Moose wrote:
Emmcee wrote:
I completely disagree. The Ferrari was the clearly faster car that year, just it didn't have two excellent drivers in it.
What's your method of deciding it was faster? Your post is nothing more than a baseless opinion.

dans79

flynfrog wrote: What's your method of deciding it was faster? Your post is nothing more than a baseless opinion.
this would be a good start.
1) Ferrari won the WCC
2) Ferrari won more races, despite qualifying 1 place lower on average.
2) Ferrari had over twice as many fast laps.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

This weekend James Allison, technical director at Ferrari said that this year, Kimi has the same speed as Vettel, only that Kimi is more error prone. This is enough damning evidence to support the theories that in outright speed, Massa = Kimi = Vettel <<< Hamilton. Therefore the argument can be closed with the conclusion that Vettel had the better cars.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

flynfrog

PlatinumZealot wrote:This weekend James Allison, technical director at Ferrari said that this year, Kimi has the same speed as Vettel, only that Kimi is more error prone. This is enough damning evidence to support the theories that in outright speed, Massa = Kimi = Vettel <<< Hamilton. Therefore the argument can be closed with the conclusion that Vettel had the better cars.
I know its hard for you to understand but we are not talking about the drivers we are comparing cars. The relative speed of the drivers really counts for very little when car speed has so much of an influence on the Constructors championship.

flynfrog

dans79 wrote:
flynfrog wrote: What's your method of deciding it was faster? Your post is nothing more than a baseless opinion.
1) Ferrari won the WCC
Now we are getting somewhere. I would argue that the fastest laps don't really matter. Wins and WCC mean much more. The fastest F1 car isn't necessarily the best. F1 cars by design are meant to win the race going as slow as possible. All out one lap pace doesn't mean it can do it all race without breaking down. So if we are trying to establish dominance points scored probably means the most we don't really care how the car did it.

Moose

flynfrog wrote:What's your method of deciding it was faster? Your post is nothing more than a baseless opinion.
Well that's rather the point that everyone's gone over and over and over in this discussion...

No one has anything at all other than a baseless opinion. There is not any amount of stats you can look at and determine which car is better independent of the drivers sat in the hot seat.
flynfrog wrote:So if we are trying to establish dominance points scored probably means the most we don't really care how the car did it.
Sure we do - because "how it did it" is exactly one of the things we're trying to separate here. The driver sat in the seat is an important part of how it did it.

Sevach

dans79 wrote:
1) Ferrari won the WCC
Alonso and Hamilton got more points than Raikonnen and Massa, there was one race (won by Mclaren) that didn't count points for the team just for the drivers, i'm not sure wether it was Hungary or Monza.

flynfrog

Moose wrote: Sure we do - because "how it did it" is exactly one of the things we're trying to separate here. The driver sat in the seat is an important part of how it did it.
Do you really think there is that much of difference in the combined points of two drivers on a top F1 team? The car is such a larger factor that any of the top drivers can win the WDC in the top car. The fact we have 4 WDC currently in F1 and a few drivers that were within a handful of points of winning can attest to this. Six of the last Ten WDC went to the last race to be decided there isn't much difference across drivers over a season let alone 2 drivers combined.

There is the Shu factor where a car is tailored to a driver but that still comes back to the car doing its job better than the other cars.

My reasoning for continuing to push this thread back to the cars is that its only way this thread will stay open. Once it devolves into a driver fan boy fest it's getting locked.

Moose

flynfrog wrote:
Moose wrote: Sure we do - because "how it did it" is exactly one of the things we're trying to separate here. The driver sat in the seat is an important part of how it did it.
Do you really think there is that much of difference in the combined points of two drivers on a top F1 team?
When you're talking about 2007, yes, I do. We've seen that Alonso can kerb stomp both Massa and Kimi in the same car. That alone suggests that there's an enormous driver factor between the two cars in 2007.
The car is such a larger factor that any of the top drivers can win the WDC in the top car.
Except again - Massa and Kimi couldn't come close to Alonso. Effectively your assertion is "the driver doesn't mean anything in F1".
My reasoning for continuing to push this thread back to the cars is that its only way this thread will stay open. Once it devolves into a driver fan boy fest it's getting locked.
That's fair - I'm fine with it being locked simply because I think it's a hugely unproductive topic. Unless someone can come up with a method of actually separating driver performance from car performance, then everyone in this thread is effectively pissing in the wind.

Just_a_fan

flynfrog wrote: My reasoning for continuing to push this thread back to the cars is that its only way this thread will stay open. Once it devolves into a driver fan boy fest it's getting locked.
It started as a driver thread and hasn't changed from post no.1 to now. The subtext of the thread title and opening post is obvious and why I suggested early on that the thread title should be changed to reflect your assertion that it's a car thread. But... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.