Is F1 getting soft?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Emmcee

Is F1 getting soft?

I ask this question as it seems to me that they don't race in races that are quite wet anymore. Races like Spain 96,monaco 97,spa 98. It seems they red flag it before it gets to that extent nowadays. Whats your thoughts on that?
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

Vasconia

Re: Is F1 getting soft?

Short answer: YES.

Slightly longer answer: terrible wet tyres+Whiting is becoming old and fearful+hysteria with everything related to safety.

I miss races like the onew you have mentioned. Or newer ones like Fuji 2007 an similars. (Canada 2011 had great moments but we spents hours waiting!)

wesley123

Pirelli doesn't bring true full wets, thus racing in such conditions isn't even possible.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bhall II

It seems the sport still hasn't quite gotten over Senna's death in 1994. That's when pretty much everyone stopped exploring the boundaries of possibility, and it's a damn shame, too.

We can talk about a history of close racing or dynamic personalities or technological achievement as reasons for F1's allure, but I think we'd only be partially correct. The reality is actually a lot simpler.

Formula One's mystique was born from a willingness and ability to completely shatter expectations. It wasn't just quicker than everything else on four wheels; it was quicker than everything else on fours wheels by a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide margin. Sadly, that facet died with Senna (and things are only getting worse).

None of this is to say F1 should be more dangerous for the sake of added danger, because there's no reason in the world to ignore advances in safety as they come about. But, I do think the sport should be more willing to accept risk if doing so can restore its indisputable claim to motorsport's throne.

For instance, I'd rather see cars race around circuits that feature acres and acres of runoff area, and are lined with hundreds of tons of cotton, if it meant they could handle corners like Raidillon/Eau Rouge at jaw-dropping speeds...

F1 will never be safe, and we all know that. The question is: for what would you rather die?

Jersey Tom

Can't run in heavy rain with junk tires, pretty simple.

I'd say F1 has just gotten boring though.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Emmcee

All have very good points, I guess it is all down to the tyres and its quite sad that we now miss out on what have been some spectacular races in the past.

@bhall - Senna's accident was a total freak accident, the same thing could happen nowadays and with the same result. It almost did to Massa in Hungary 2009, if the suspension debris didnt puncture Senna's helmet, he would have walked away from that to fight another day. Just a total freak accident and your right, f1 has never been the same since.

toraabe

What they need to do is to get rid of this stupid penalty system during races. Let the drivers race without being penalized.
And that we need cars that invites to close racing. Wide 420mm tyres, Groundeffect, 1200hp (race trim ) 600kg weight with driver and so on. 1.15 00 laptimes at monza ? Probably too fast or ...

Emmcee

toraabe wrote:What they need to do is to get rid of this stupid penalty system during races. Let the drivers race without being penalized.
And that we need cars that invites to close racing. Wide 420mm tyres, Groundeffect, 1200hp (race trim ) 600kg weight with driver and so on. 1.15 00 laptimes at monza ? Probably too fast or ...
Yeah I to think penalising a driver for mechanical failure is a joke, the failure is punishment enough.

f1316

In fairness to Pirelli, you've got to imagine the lack of testing doesn't help them develop proper wet tyes (something they have bee bemoaning for a while).

Personally, I think lack of testing is to blame for lots of things though.

Emmcee

f1316 wrote:In fairness to Pirelli, you've got to imagine the lack of testing doesn't help them develop proper wet tyes (something they have bee bemoaning for a while).

Personally, I think lack of testing is to blame for lots of things though.
Ohh totally.