Is a Oval race the missing link between America and F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

F1 Oval Race

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 65

Just_a_fan

Re: Is a Oval race the missing link between America and F1?

Edax wrote:US racing is perhaps slightly more about driver skill and European racing is more about car development.
The number of drivers from the US who have failed in F1, or drivers who have started in F1, not shined in F1 but then gone to the US and done well, suggests otherwise.

However, I think the popularity of oval racing in the US is its accessibility and the way that fans can enjoy the day. F1 is too elitist as far as its treatment of paying public are concerned. US crowds won't put up with the "oh, you've paid good money to watch, so what" treatment that F1 can sometimes present to fans.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

sgth0mas

Just_a_fan wrote:
Edax wrote:US racing is perhaps slightly more about driver skill and European racing is more about car development.
The number of drivers from the US who have failed in F1, or drivers who have started in F1, not shined in F1 but then gone to the US and done well, suggests otherwise.

However, I think the popularity of oval racing in the US is its accessibility and the way that fans can enjoy the day. F1 is too elitist as far as its treatment of paying public are concerned. US crowds won't put up with the "oh, you've paid good money to watch, so what" treatment that F1 can sometimes present to fans.
I think he meant that US racing focuses more on the most skilled drivers winning as it is closer to spec. And few US drivers have done well in formula style racing because road racing simply isnt that big here and few have even tried relatively speaking...but every other small town has a dirt track to oval race on. I can only think of about 4 kart tracks on all of texas, but im sure there may be a few more. How many courses are in england...a country of about 1/3 the size.

Also...remember Kimis stint in nascar...he didnt do very well. Its all about experience in the particular race format...and in F1 its 90% car to even get a championship now.

But i sure do hope to see kimi back in nascar.

mertol

Well he isn't doing very well in F1 either :D. IMO in nascar you need a good bit of luck and a team that can setup your car very well. Also the cars are bricks so they never handle to anyone's liking which is not in Kimi's favor.

CBeck113

bhall II wrote:Pocono Raceway might be interesting, but its location isn't exactly favorable.

Wikipedia wrote:Pocono Raceway has a unique design. Each turn is modeled after turns at 3 different tracks. Turn One (14 degree banking) was modeled after the now defunct Trenton Speedway, Turn Two (also known as "The Tunnel Turn") is like Indianapolis Motor Speedway (9 degree banking), and Turn 3 (6 degree banking) is similar to The Milwaukee Mile. It could be said to be a tri-oval, but the turns are much more severe than those of a more typical tri-oval such as Daytona and the track is really nearly a triangle. They have been likened somewhat to the hairpin-style turns of road courses. An additional complication is that the three turns are not identical, nor are any of the three straights identical in length. The banking of each turn is considerably less than on many other long ovals. Although the track is long (2.5 miles), the sharp nature of the turns and low banking tends to make the overall speeds much lower than at other tracks of similar lengths, thus restrictor plates are not needed here. For its unique characteristics, Pocono is sometimes referred to as a roval (an oval track that behaves like a road course). Others refer to Pocono as a modified road course due to the use of shifting gears to handle the range between the slowest curve and the fastest straightaway.
Pocono would be perfect - my sister works races there
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

FW17

40% in favor of a F1 oval race in the US

I was expecting 10% in favor

Tim.Wright

I don't think 50 votes from members of a single little niche forum is an adequate sample size from which any conclusions can be drawn.

Or... it's proof that fans are the wrong people to ask. about anything. ever.

Or... why don't we add a rally stage?
Not the engineer at Force India

FW17

Tim.Wright wrote: Or... why don't we add a rally stage?
Yeah!!

@ the nordschleife

AnthonyG

Why don't "we" just take this or previous season's cars and run them over the winter time in a limited US-championship? A bit like the Tasman series of the past. Seems to me the best way to get some foothold in the US.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

langwadt

Tim.Wright wrote:I don't think 50 votes from members of a single little niche forum is an adequate sample size from which any conclusions can be drawn.

Or... it's proof that fans are the wrong people to ask. about anything. ever.

Or... why don't we add a rally stage?

I think it comes from F1 starting at a different place; all out "war" between, men, countries, companies,
sponsors just a necessary evil to pay the bill and the audience, well they can watch if they want to

Moxie

AnthonyG wrote:Why don't "we" just take this or previous season's cars and run them over the winter time in a limited US-championship? A bit like the Tasman series of the past. Seems to me the best way to get some foothold in the US.
I like this idea. This would give more young drivers experience in the cars and the ability to earn a superlicense.

With the current testing ban, teams are not allowed to run cars unless they are 3 years old. (I think it's 3 years). Something like the Tasman series may prove beneficial, allowing teams to use the series as a test bed, in such a way as to get more out of the very expensive cars they have already built and would otherwise be mothballed.