A second North American F1 team for 2016?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

A second North American F1 team for 2016?

Two U.S. teams on the F1 grid in 2016? It could happen

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/two-u ... ld-happen/
Promoter Tavo Hellmund and financier James Carney head US-based investment group looking to buy a Formula 1 team.

There’s a good chance that North America will have two, not one, Formula 1 teams on the grid in 2016, Motorsport.com can reveal.

Gene Haas's plans for a Ferrari-affiliated team entry next year are well advanced, but a group of investors headquartered in the United States are actively attempting to buy an existing team in a bid to also join the grid.

The group is headed by New York financier James Carney, and Austin businessman Tavo Hellmund, who developed the Circuit of the Americas track and cut the deal with Bernie Ecclestone to bring F1 back to the country.

More recently, Hellmund has spearheaded the return of F1 racing to Mexico City after a 23-year absence, when the Mexican Grand Prix returns to the calendar at the renovated Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez November 1.

Neither Hellmund nor Carney could be reached for comment, but a representative of Carney’s confirmed there was interest, though declined to say which team the consortium was focused on.

Sources have suggested it is the British-based Manor team, which is currently controlled by Irish businessman Stephen Fitzpatrick, founder of Ovo Energy.

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Re: A second North American F1 team for 2016?

If it was Manor that they brought which also included a ferrari PU and trans package would that be really what was needed for F1 to thrive in America (2 ferrari teams). I'd imagine maybe the Lotus team might be the better option.

I'd like to see a big american team in F1 to be honest though, but a real team, no offence to Haas but I see that as a Ferrari customer car. I think as soon as the big american sponsors started to appear on a couple of cars then teams could survive a little bit easier and not have to resort to pay drivers. This would surely increase the sports fan base too.

Moxie
Moxie

2016? Marussia? No Way!!! Marussia is already running last years car and engine. They won't be able to develop a new car by the start of 2016. Even if they had the budget, they would have to ramp up the personnel and infrastructure to accomplish such a task. 2017...maybe.

2016 Sauber, Toro Rosso, or Lotus would be possible. It this were to happen, my money would be on Toro Rosso. If I remember correctly, Mateschitz was making noise about reducing his exposure in F1. TR mat be on the block.
Last edited by Moxie on 15 Jul 2015, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Moose
Moose

Moxie wrote:2016? Marussia? No Way!!! Marussia is already running last years car and engine. They won't be able to develop a new car by the start of 2016. Even if they had the budget, they would have to ramp up the personnel and infrastructure to accomplish such a task. 2017...maybe.
Wait, what?

Why would the fact that they had no winter to develop a 2015 car mean that they couldn't develop a 2016 car?

Moxie
Moxie

They were still in receivership as late as February 2015. Assets were sold, and staff was cut, with the expectation that Marussia was finished. Even though it came out of receivership as Manor, and managed to put last years car on the back of the grid, I just don't believe that the team has the assets to accomplish the task. If the infrastructure isn't available in house, then it must be contracted out, for budget the team doesn't have.

Even with a wind all of cash that a new owner might bring, it is getting late in the season to acquire the assets, directly or through outsourcing, to manufacture a new car by 2016.

Vasconia

Lotus and Toro Rosso are the most logic options. I would prefer Marussia/Manor but as it has already been metioned there is not enough time to built a good team who can design a good car for 2016.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Hardly an American team :roll:

XRayF1
XRayF1

Moxie wrote:They were still in receivership as late as February 2015. Assets were sold, and staff was cut, with the expectation that Marussia was finished. Even though it came out of receivership as Manor, and managed to put last years car on the back of the grid, I just don't believe that the team has the assets to accomplish the task. If the infrastructure isn't available in house, then it must be contracted out, for budget the team doesn't have.

Even with a wind all of cash that a new owner might bring, it is getting late in the season to acquire the assets, directly or through outsourcing, to manufacture a new car by 2016.
But wasn't there a quote recently saying that they have foregone any major developments for 2015 (despite the ones they are put on the car) so they could concentrate on the 2016-car?
"The aim for the remainder of the 2015 is to slowly edge their way closer to the cars ahead of them before a major push in 2016."
http://www.planetf1.com/driver/55667788 ... rd-in-2016

For me this seems to indicate that they will indeed built a new car for 2016.
However it may look like for the money spent.
But I agree that the financial situation must not be a n excellent one.

Moxie
Moxie

XRayF1 wrote:
But wasn't there a quote recently saying that they have foregone any major developments for 2015 (despite the ones they are put on the car) so they could concentrate on the 2016-car?
"The aim for the remainder of the 2015 is to slowly edge their way closer to the cars ahead of them before a major push in 2016."
http://www.planetf1.com/driver/55667788 ... rd-in-2016

For me this seems to indicate that they will indeed built a new car for 2016.
However it may look like for the money spent.
But I agree that the financial situation must not be a n excellent one.
I just don't believe they can pull it off. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I am proven to be incorrect.

Sniffit

Moxie wrote: 2016 Sauber, Toro Rosso, or Lotus would be possible. It this were to happen, my money would be on Toro Rosso. If I remember correctly, Mateschitz was making noise about reducing his exposure in F1. TR mat be on the block.
Sauber won't sell unless the legacy is kept. Which it won't be if the new owners plan to make it into an american team.
I'd add FI to your list, they have been in dire economic troubles for years even though they are great at utilizing what they have.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

KeiKo403 wrote:If it was Manor that they brought which also included a ferrari PU and trans package would that be really what was needed for F1 to thrive in America (2 ferrari teams). I'd imagine maybe the Lotus team might be the better option.

I'd like to see a big american team in F1 to be honest though, but a real team, no offence to Haas but I see that as a Ferrari customer car. I think as soon as the big american sponsors started to appear on a couple of cars then teams could survive a little bit easier and not have to resort to pay drivers. This would surely increase the sports fan base too.
Maybe, but I don't think the buyers' motivations are to improve F1's fortunes in the U.S. at least not directly.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...