Would Jules survive if there would be a sandtrap there?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
proteus

Would Jules survive if there would be a sandtrap there?

I mean no disrespect to the memory of Jules, which was a great driver with loads of potential, but i looked at the video of his crash and i cant stop thinking if the sand runoff area would save his life. When he lost control of the car, he slid on the tarmac and then grass (which are both extremely slippery when wet), and couldnt to cut down the speed. since the trend of tarmacking the circuits like insane, im afraid that this kind of tragedy can happen again. Its true that his fatal crash was affected by extraodinary events (crane on the site), but still the contact with the barriers would be quite powerfull as well.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

Re: Would Jules survive if there would be a sandtrap there?

proteus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmTIKYKM5-0

Very unfortunate for that patch of tarmac being right there, but it showed how dangerous it is in wet conditions.

Andres125sx

proteus wrote: Its true that his fatal crash was affected by extraodinary events (crane on the site), but still the contact with the barriers would be quite powerfull as well.
Stronger than Max Verstappen in StDevote this season?

Don´t know the name in english, but current barriers do an awesome job absorving energy even when the car comes in at very high speeds

It´s the crane what should have never been there without SC, not only because of the lack of gravel, but because the safety zone there is very small, too small for the speed cars carry around that corner, what combined with the rain and the grass made it a very dangerous situation.

wrcsti

The only two things that could have saved his life were canceling the grandprix due to impending typhoon and the conditions it was going to cause, or not having equipment out on track under just a yellow flag condition. Everything else from nerfing equipment to adding capsules and such would have still resulted in a life threatening accident

Cold Fussion

The two problems were that he did not follow the intent of the double waved yellow flags and that the FIA was operating under the faulty assumption that drivers obeyed the double waved yellow flags to their full intent. With the setup that setup an accident was bound to happen at some point (and we have seen drivers crash under similar scenarios almost flying into marshals). Unfortunately it has taken a fatality for the FIA to finally step and address this massive issue.

Jolle

I still believe his crash was so horrific because he was driving way to fast on a double waved yellow. But I do not believe it's his fault, when the safety car came out you could see on the TV that Hamilton slowed down immediately and Kobiashi in the Caterham not slowing down and unlapping himself. I want to know if Jules got the message "Push" from the pitwal because those are the moments to gain time to the other back marker teams. All for the money....

With all the marshals around, F1 was almost lucky that he hit the digger and not 3-4 people.

Moose

Long story short - no. Gravel traps don't work well in the rain either. The issue here was basically the same as with Senna's death - the run off area was no where near big enough for the speed of the corner, and it had a very heavy very hard object at the end of it.

Ciro Pabón

PAVE THE GRAVEL TRAPS

"... Gravel traps on road racing courses should be paved over so drivers can steer, brake and recover... When a driver gets into the gravel, he becomes a passenger, unable to brake or steer." -- John Fitch --

Mr. Fitch, inventor of HANS device, water filled barriers, compression barriers and displacement guardrails

What killed Bianchi was a puddle, not a crane or officers not stopping a race fast enough. It's time to have racetracks without them, I think.

What could have saved Bianchi's life is porous asphalt

However, Andrés, Moose and wrcstl are right: the best thing after an accident has happened (that is, after you lose control of your car) is to crash into something different from a crane or a barrier a few meters away from the road.

Nonetheless, that's not the same as avoiding the accident in the first place, which is the preferred course of action in highway security analysis.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 18 Jul 2015, 22:52, edited 2 times in total.
Ciro

MOWOG

From everything I have seen and read, the crash was the proximate result of an idiotic set of rules that made it advantageous to increase speed and race other cars until reaching the queue behind the safety car.

If the FIA is looking for a cause, they need look no further than their own incompetence at rule making. The rules as they existed at the time diminished safety rather then enhancing it. The result was predictable and avoidable. :cry:

It would have made no difference if the surface in that area was pavement, concrete, gravel, sand or AstroTurf. With the crane on track, the danger level was extreme. Ultimately, Charlie Whiting is at fault for not doing a better job of recognizing that danger and responding to it. But hindsight is always 20/20. :?

The idea of porous asphalt deserves honorable mention. Bravo. =D>
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

ESPImperium

Do we have to rake over this again?

Can we just leave Jules and his family at peace? I know thats what i wanted about 11 weeks ago when my mum died. Give it 6 months to a year, then rake over it again. Its not fair on Jules, its certainly not fair on his family who may be reading this.

mep

If you want to avoid accidents you have to stop doing motor racing. Nobody wants this, so you have to make the accidents save. Great progress has been made with that. So that almost every accident these days does not even injure the drivers. It does not matter in the end if there was gravel or tarmac. In both cases he would have hit the crane. It also does not matter at what speed he hit the crane because such a hit on the head can always be deadly. The only thing that went wrong was that this crane was on the track. This should never happen. The cars should be lifted off by a crane standing outside of the track. I don’t want to hear lausy excuses like they can`t place one there. They need to make it possible. In the worst case they just leave the crashed F1 car if its not under a direct run off or wait until every car has collected behind the real safety car. Its still better to crash into a flimsy 600kg F1 car with crash structures than into a rock solid 8500kg crane on head height.

wrcsti

ESPImperium wrote:Do we have to rake over this again?

Can we just leave Jules and his family at peace? I know thats what i wanted about 11 weeks ago when my mum died. Give it 6 months to a year, then rake over it again. Its not fair on Jules, its certainly not fair on his family who may be reading this.
So long as another field of cars is sitting ready to go in a week or two this discussion needs to be had asap.

komninosm

MOWOG wrote:From everything I have seen and read, the crash was the proximate result of an idiotic set of rules that made it advantageous to increase speed and race other cars until reaching the queue behind the safety car.

If the FIA is looking for a cause, they need look no further than their own incompetence at rule making. The rules as they existed at the time diminished safety rather then enhancing it. The result was predictable and avoidable. :cry:

It would have made no difference if the surface in that area was pavement, concrete, gravel, sand or AstroTurf. With the crane on track, the danger level was extreme. Ultimately, Charlie Whiting is at fault for not doing a better job of recognizing that danger and responding to it. But hindsight is always 20/20. :?

The idea of porous asphalt deserves honorable mention. Bravo. =D>
Virtual Safety Car would have fixed this problem, no? They do have that now?
Jules was speeding a lot, no?

Moose

komninosm wrote:Virtual Safety Car would have fixed this problem, no? They do have that now?
Jules was speeding a lot, no?
Yes, the virtual safety car was invented as a direct reaction to this exact accident.