Ground Effect - Bring It Back

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
toraabe

Re: Ground Effect - Bring It Back

Phillyred wrote:I would think with the current aero packages with the addition of side skirts or some way to increase ground effects cars should be able to follow closer leading to more passing.
You need venturi tunnels...

Pierce89

toraabe wrote:
Phillyred wrote:I would think with the current aero packages with the addition of side skirts or some way to increase ground effects cars should be able to follow closer leading to more passing.
No. You don't. Venturi tunnels are no different to any other GE solution. The DF levels and balance change in turbulence or at different attitudes would be just as large as with a flat floor and diffuser + wings. F1 already performed wind tunnel tests and learned that circa 2006-7.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

rjsa

Pierce89 wrote:
toraabe wrote:
No. You don't. Venturi tunnels are no different to any other GE solution. The DF levels and balance change in turbulence or at different attitudes would be just as large as with a flat floor and diffuser + wings. F1 already performed wind tunnel tests and learned that circa 2006-7.
Care to point to the research?