Testing in 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RicME85

Testing in 2016

Formula 1 to cut back to just two pre-season tests in 2016

Formula 1 will run only two tests in 2016, both at Barcelona pre-season, AUTOSPORT has learned.

With a record-breaking 21-race calendar for next year on the cards, a decision has been taken to limit the number of test days in the build-up to the opening grand prix in Australia on April 3.

In stark contrast to recent seasons when three or four four-day pre-season tests have been held, the 10 teams will now have only eight days to prepare their cars before Melbourne.

Both tests will take place at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya, with the first from March 1-4 and the second running from March 15-18.

In another change, and for the first time since 2011, there will also be no in-season testing.

Teams have often used in-season tests over the past four years to give their reserve drivers a run out, or to run the rule over young up-and-coming names.

This year two two-day in-season tests took place at Barcelona, and also the Red Bull Ring in Austria, with a number of prospects given a chance.

But such an avenue for those looking to put themselves on the radar of F1's teams is blocked for next year.
So one less test pre-season and no in-season, can't be good surely?

SiLo

Re: Testing in 2016

Pretty sure they are still just confirming the details on tests after Silverstone and Austria? Can't remember where I read that though.
Felipe Baby!

Vasconia

So some teams and drivers say that more test are needed. The asnwer is to reduce their amount even more. Its like come on.. :roll:

santos
santos

I don't understand how a sport doesn't let you train. What's next? Freeze the entire development of the car?

Tim.Wright

Well training for any other sport doesn't cost tens of thousands of euros per day per participant...

Don't forget the testing ban was introduce at the begging of ALL of the teams in a unanimous voice. When was the last time THAT happened? They were running dry of money and testing was the biggest expense which was not bringing money in (as opposed to the races where the teams are paid).
Not the engineer at Force India

ME4ME

Well I guess there are some valid reasons for limiting testing.

I think however Haas F1 should be allowed to do another couple of days of pre-season testing as their car and crew are totally new. I think nobody (besides the competing teams) would like to see another backmarker with the performance deficit of a team like Manor this year.

astracrazy
astracrazy

ME4ME wrote:I think however Haas F1 should be allowed to do another couple of days of pre-season testing as their car and crew are totally new. I think nobody (besides the competing teams) would like to see another backmarker with the performance deficit of a team like Manor this year.
As far as im aware, i haven't looked into it much though, what's stopping them from testing now? At what point are they classed a current competitor and then must follow the sporting rules which limits there running?

ME4ME

Good point.

I don't know at what date their are seen as an official F1 team.
Haas F1 has said however that they do not want to test before official pre-season testing cause that would mean their car would basically be out-dated by the beginning of the 2016 season.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

astracrazy wrote:
ME4ME wrote:I think however Haas F1 should be allowed to do another couple of days of pre-season testing as their car and crew are totally new. I think nobody (besides the competing teams) would like to see another backmarker with the performance deficit of a team like Manor this year.
As far as im aware, i haven't looked into it much though, what's stopping them from testing now? At what point are they classed a current competitor and then must follow the sporting rules which limits there running?
They are classed as a deferred competitor as far as i know. Only current competitor status is allowed to be supplied with Pirelli competition or test tyres. They can test, only with demonstration rubber they can test with. There are 3 classes of competitor, active, deferred and future, each with differing allowances to what they can run.

The things I'm worried about with Haas is if they only have two tests, they won't have much time to rectify any safety issues or any reliability issues.

I have always been of the opinion there should be 12 days pre season, 6 days in-season and 3 days post season, a total of 21 days a year. I would allow 4 days pre season to be two car per team days. The final test would allow each race driver 3 days in the car, with the reserve driver 2 days.

However, i do think testing needs a review, there may be opportunities to be had during a GP weekend, making FP1 a 2 hour session where a test/reserve/development driver can take to the track for the whole session, or the first hour. However, as i have said in 2012 when Bottas took exclusively Sennas seat at Williams and now Palmer is taking exclusively Grosjeans seat at Lotus, the teams can only do so for 16 race weekends a year and it must be split equally between both cars, so both drivers sit out the same amount of FP1 sessions, disadvantaging both drivers equally. The TD/RD/DD role in FP1 shall be only allowed for drivers in those roles, and designated to them before the season starts, and those are the drivers that are allocated the in-season test days as well, apart from young drivers.

There are opportunities, the way testing needs to be done needs a review, and a measured and calculated form, and most of all, a cost controlled and cost effective manner.

turbof1

ESPImperium wrote: However, i do think testing needs a review, there may be opportunities to be had during a GP weekend, making FP1 a 2 hour session where a test/reserve/development driver can take to the track for the whole session, or the first hour.
That will not work unless you cut the time back on an other sessions, simply due PU useage. Teams will not risk running the car half a hour longer per weekend which might stretch the life of the PU too much towards the end of its cycle of 5 races.

Neither would allowing an extra PU allocation, to circumvent the issue, solely for half that hour be viable, since it inmediately follows up on a session in which the normal allocation has to be used. Teams also aren't allowed to built it into the spare chassis they bring along. That chassis has to remain strictly stripped down unless a different car/chassis is taken out of competition for the remainder of the weekend.

However, that rule can be changed. I've always found it a waste to just have that spare chassis just lying around. The irony that makes this particurarily ruling a complete failure is that it was introduced to save costs. Having to completely built up the car from the bare chassis outside the factory is a huge effort which requires running overtime. If we reverse this and allow teams to use a seperate, out of competition PU allocation, you can have a very viable means to make teams actually use that half a hour.

Still, what I think that could be better, is a seperate session altogether. Somewhere along you then need to plan in a fourth session. A viable moment would be sunday morning, although that might overlap with a race of different series. Careful planning needs to be done. I would even go as far as suggest you could use this session to have the youngsters race against eachother.

However, this still would not do anything about your worries about a new competitor like Haas. It's infact very vital for them to collect as much on-track data as possible before the season starts, since they have to built up the know-how about cfd/windtunnel to track correlation, how vibrations affect the supports and mountings, etc.

The answer is not as simple as allowing them exclusively a few more testing days. Costs of a test per team can be diminished by having all teams participate, saving on rent, utility, transport, etc. However, we are talking about a period when you don't have any sanctioned competition event of F1, meaning the costs you make are for the test and can not be divided by having a race before or after. Unless of course you have a winter competition with last years cars which could earn money for those teams.
#AeroFrodo

Bigal38
Bigal38

Hass shouldn't need that much testing, most of their car is coming from Ferrari anyway. so its not like they will have the normal constructors issues.
But agree with a lack of testing there will be less opportunity for young drivers to get a run out.

bhall II
bhall II

It's difficult for me to be sympathetic to calls for cost reductions, given the tendency of the teams to travel with a veritable flotilla of completely non-essential, multi-million dollar "motorhomes." But, when it comes to testing, a rare instance of something that has a direct correlation with the quality of "the show," it seems to be rather easy for the sport to compromise.

I think F1's priorities are all sorts of screwed up.

Moose
Moose

bhall II wrote:It's difficult for me to be sympathetic to calls for cost reductions, given the tendency of the teams to travel with a veritable flotilla of completely non-essential, multi-million dollar "motorhomes."
Don't confused marketing centres with costs. These motorhomes more than pay for themselves by allowing teams to entertain people who will later pay them money.

bhall II
bhall II

I think McLaren in particular might argue that's no longer a given. Those things came about when F1 existed within a completely different world, yanno?

spadeflush

With all the talk of improving the show, doesnt more testing make sense? They all need to realize that costs are not going to be controlled beyond a certain point and restricting testing is going to cause a disadvantage when it comes to the bigger picture. I agree with the motorhomes argument. It does bring a bit of glamour to the circus but is that required? I think they should be looking at costs at the micro level.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules