A different way of writing regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316

Re: A different way of writing regulations

But isn't the variation in design also interesting in and of itself? We already have a dominant car but everything is the same.

Also, allowing more freedom in other areas also allows for fluctuations in competitive order depending on other factors- e.g mclaren's Honda v6 engine with all kinds of hybrid tech is not as good Ferrari's v10 with just kers but they get a set of Bridgestone quali tyres that work brilliantly at Barcelona and much better than Ferrari's Pirellis; Mercedes' v8 is somewhere in the middle but because they've managed to pass the crash test whilst maintaining a high nose (maybe the nose deforms enough to prevent the whole car from lifting up in collision) their rear downforce advantage makes up the difference.

What I'm saying is the regulations would all have to work in this way, not just re power units. And yes, one car might still get everything right but I still think it would allow other teams more avenues to catch up, with customer chassis helping keep costs down.

And worst case scenario, one team still wins all the races but we get to discuss lots of diverging philosophies

ChrisF1

f1316 wrote:But isn't the variation in design also interesting in and of itself? We already have a dominant car but everything is the same.

Also, allowing more freedom in other areas also allows for fluctuations in competitive order depending on other factors- e.g mclaren's Honda v6 engine with all kinds of hybrid tech is not as good Ferrari's v10 with just kers but they get a set of Bridgestone quali tyres that work brilliantly at Barcelona and much better than Ferrari's Pirellis; Mercedes' v8 is somewhere in the middle but because they've managed to pass the crash test whilst maintaining a high nose (maybe the nose deforms enough to prevent the whole car from lifting up in collision) their rear downforce advantage makes up the difference.

What I'm saying is the regulations would all have to work in this way, not just re power units. And yes, one car might still get everything right but I still think it would allow other teams more avenues to catch up, with customer chassis helping keep costs down.

And worst case scenario, one team still wins all the races but we get to discuss lots of diverging philosophies

100% with you. I love seeing alternative designs. It was great seeing the Force India nostril nose - possibly the first time since the Walrus nose that we've seen something totally away visually from the norm in the nose.

Then in WEC we had the Nissan (yes, it was terrible) that came in FWD and Front Engined - wonderful!

I think everybody on this website would mess their underwear at a more flexible set of rules that allowed variable designs and something other than the repetitive car fits in X and Y box.

matt21

May I mention the thread started for a proposal of such regulations?
Everybody is welcome to contribute.

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=22804