Justin Wilson dies following Indy crash

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Justin Wilson dies following Indy crash

Hi guys, was watching the IndyCar last night and have just found out after another horror accident Justin Wilson is in a coma. It was another cars crash that he was involved in when Wilson hit the debry and crashed.

It appeared to be the nose cone of the car that hit wilson on the head.

All the best Justin, surely someone will pull through one of these moment.

Here is a clip from youtube

https://youtu.be/P7EFP_wr2fo
Last edited by Steven on 25 Aug 2015, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated thread title
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Justin Wilson Coma

Was saddened to hear this on the news. When he was at Minardi, I joined him for his pre-race track walk at Silverstone. An interesting hour that opened my eyes to how a professional racing driver looks at a track.

I also enjoyed a very pleasant half hour chatting to his girlfriend over coffee. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shakeman

Dreadful news. I hope he recovers from this.

When the tyres were letting go over the weekend I was thinking what a nightmare it would be to drive into that mass of rubber And possibly get hit on the head.

Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to provide better head protection while retaining open cockpit status.

PlatinumZealot

And another one..

Just out curiosity, do the Indy car noses have locking pins? And why didn't the nose crumple up? The flying nose looked pretty solid there.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

nzjrs

PlatinumZealot wrote:And why didn't the nose crumple up? The flying nose looked pretty solid there.
I'd guess the impulse with the road was too small, and the impulse with his head also - as he is not really a rigid body (apologies for being crass).

countersteer
countersteer

PlatinumZealot wrote:Just out curiosity, do the Indy car noses have locking pins? And why didn't the nose crumple up? The flying nose looked pretty solid there.
They are held in place by four locking pins. There is a single fastener, accessed through the top that captures the pins with a turn. Can't find a decent pic...

When in the paddock, they'll mount the nose mating the lower pins on the nose to the upper pins on the monocoque.

Sixbarboost
Sixbarboost

Perhaps it's about time to go full bodies in IRL, I mean, they are halfway there anyways?

ojlopez
ojlopez

Another freak accident where the driver was at the wrong time at the wrong place. So sad to hear about this. I hope he can recover.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Unfortunately he didnt make it out of this one. Tough to see this happen.

F1PuertoRico
F1PuertoRico

Sadly just news announced that Justin Wilson passed away. :(

Hail22

Sad to hear of the news that Justin Wilson lost his fight for life, another flame of the motor racing community has moved on to an eternal place of rest. RIP Justin.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

r_b_l
r_b_l

Dammit!

Very sad day for motorsport, RIP Justin.

Thanks for the memories in 2003, also champcar when it was shown on TV here.

timbo
timbo

So sad, RIP

PlatinumZealot

countersteer wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Just out curiosity, do the Indy car noses have locking pins? And why didn't the nose crumple up? The flying nose looked pretty solid there.
They are held in place by four locking pins. There is a single fastener, accessed through the top that captures the pins with a turn. Can't find a decent pic...

When in the paddock, they'll mount the nose mating the lower pins on the nose to the upper pins on the monocoque.
But why didnt the pins hold? Never seen a formula one nose get dislodged like that befrore.. Thats what intrigues me.. How did those pins fail? Just a question not directed at anyone.

I feel it is time for covered cockpits now. The foreogn body accidents are far more frequent than capsized accidents so the open cockpit saftey advantage in a capsision is not so strong anymore.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

RicME85

Clearly didnt watch free practice this weekend as Ericsson's nose came off like that.