lineage

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zeph

lineage

Trying to establish the history of F1's current teams:

Mercedes < Brawn GP < Honda < BAR < Tyrrell (1968)
Ferrari (1950)
Williams (1978)
RedBull Racing < Jaguar < Stewart (1997)
Force India < Spyker < Midland < Jordan (1991)
Lotus < Renault < Benetton < Toleman (1981)
Toro Rosso < Minardi (1985)
Sauber < BMW < Sauber (1993)
McLaren (1966)
Manor < Marussia < Virgin (2010)

The dates are based on their first F1 entry as a constructor.

Kinda crazy to think that Ken Tyrrell's team is more successful now than it ever was :wink:
Last edited by zeph on 15 Sep 2015, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

Facts Only

Re: lineage

Surely now its:

And did Tyrrell actually become BAR? I thought BAR just bought the remnants and some contracts rather than the actual team and it wasn't a direct continuation?

Edit: What would be really interesting (or maybe not, but I think it is as an F1 nerd), would be to have an overlayed Gant chart starting in 1950 showing all of the teams life-spans and changes through to the present day. There must be hundreds of different teams over the years.

Perhaps a project of the F1T collective conscious?
Last edited by Facts Only on 15 Sep 2015, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

ChrisF1

Last one I guess should be Manor, since they're only Marussia by name for a season more.

wesley123

Facts Only wrote: And did Tyrrell actually become BAR? I thought BAR just bought the remnants and some contracts rather than the actual team and it wasn't a direct continuation?
I believe late '97 /early '98 Tyrrell was bought and became BAR in '99.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Facts Only

wesley123 wrote:
Facts Only wrote: And did Tyrrell actually become BAR? I thought BAR just bought the remnants and some contracts rather than the actual team and it wasn't a direct continuation?
I believe late '97 /early '98 Tyrrell was bought and became BAR in '99.

Does anyone know for sure? I dont think its as simple as that.

From Wikipeadia so not garunteed to be accurate:

While BAR bought the F1 team and entry, they used a different factory, chassis builder and engine – most of the cars and equipment were sold to Paul Stoddart, later owner of the Minardi F1 team.

Sounds essentially like BAR only bought the entry, with little or no carryover of facility, equipment or technical working I would say that Tyrrell is not a direct lineage of BAR, more a footnote in BAR's creation.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

SiLo

Facts Only wrote: Edit: What would be really interesting (or maybe not, but I think it is as an F1 nerd), would be to have an overlayed Gant chart starting in 1950 showing all of the teams life-spans and changes through to the present day. There must be hundreds of different teams over the years.

I would be willing to help with this if I actually knew how to easily make a gant chart...
Felipe Baby!

Tim.Wright

I remember Manor originally entered under the name Manor, then Virgin bought the team before the start of the season. So they have gone:
Manor Marussia < Marussia < Virgin < Manor (2010).

The other team that started with another name that year and also changed was HRT (Hispania) who started as Campos.
Not the engineer at Force India

Facts Only

SiLo wrote:
Facts Only wrote: Edit: What would be really interesting (or maybe not, but I think it is as an F1 nerd), would be to have an overlayed Gant chart starting in 1950 showing all of the teams life-spans and changes through to the present day. There must be hundreds of different teams over the years.

I would be willing to help with this if I actually knew how to easily make a gant chart...

You could just do a 'quasi-Gant chart' in Excel

All you need is years from 1950 to 2015 as accross the top as the column headers and the team names down the side as the first line in each row. Take the team names from Wikipedia (or wherever) for the 1950 season and then order them based on championship result or alphabetically and fill in the cells accross the columns for however long they were in F1.

Then add any new teams for 1951 under the 1950 teams indented to 1951 and fill in their cells starting at 1951 until they ended their time in F1. Obviously Scuderia Ferrari would be the only team with every cell filled in.

For any Team name changes you just add the new name in to the cell at the point at which the name changed. You could also colour code the cells based on the teams primary colour for that year.

graham.reeds

Do it in Google Sheets and make it available for everyone!

Daliracing

I would love to help. Will you count the teams that build a car but didn't race along? Like Mastercard lola, Dome and so on.

horse

McLaren was merged with Project Four racing at the end of 1980, so maybe this should be included?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

zeph

I like that idea!

I've created a spreadsheet in Google Docs. Anyone with a link can edit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I don't have time right now, so I only put Scuderia Ferrari in. I'll add when I have time.

Anybody, feel free to add/modify! And let's discuss what to include and what not.

I'm reading the wiki for the inaugural (1950) season, and it seems there were a lot of drivers who just bought a car and participated in the WDC. I'm inclined to exclude them, but we'd need to agree on what constitutes a team.
Last edited by zeph on 15 Sep 2015, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

zeph

Facts Only wrote:Surely now its:
Corrected.

John192

zeph wrote:

I like that idea!

I've created a spreadsheet in Google Docs. Anyone with a link can edit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I don't have time right now, so I only put Scuderia Ferrari in. I'll add when I have time.

Anybody, feel free to add/modify! And let's discuss what to include and what not.

I'm reading the wiki for the inaugural (1950) season, and it seems there were a lot of drivers who just bought a car and participated in the WDC. I'm inclined to exclude them, but we'd need to agree on what constitutes a team.
I would go for the constructor rather than the driver such as Maserati and ERA

John192

horse wrote:McLaren was merged with Project Four racing at the end of 1980, so maybe this should be included?
Project Four wasn't an F1 team at the time. Ron Simply brought into the Mclaren team so its still the same Mclaren since the start im my view