Formula One's Engine Crisis

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Formula One's Engine Crisis

dans79 wrote:
ScottB wrote:Companies will spend money if they have it, regardless of restrictions.

Things are probably going the right way; cap the cost teams buy the engines at, then if Merc or Ferrari fancy pouring in their own cash on top of this money, so be it.
And then they will just say we only have the facilities to support one team (the works team).
Mandate that, as a condition of entry, they must be willing to supply at least 2 additional teams (for works manufacturers) or 3 teams (for purely PU suppliers).
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

dans79

adrianjordan wrote:
Mandate that, as a condition of entry, they must be willing to supply at least 2 additional teams (for works manufacturers) or 3 teams (for purely PU suppliers).
This has issues though, who decides who gets what engines if they all cost the same? If the manufactures decide, then the best factory manufactures will be lobbying the back markers because they aren't a threat to the factory team. The midfield teams will be screwed because they will get stuck with the worst engine. The fia can't decide as that would be considered a conflict of interest.
197 104 103 7

kptaylor

dans79 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
This has issues though, who decides who gets what engines if they all cost the same? If the manufactures decide, then the best factory manufactures will be lobbying the back markers because they aren't a threat to the factory team. The midfield teams will be screwed because they will get stuck with the worst engine. The fia can't decide as that would be considered a conflict of interest.
That's why there needs to be a way to allow for bidding and to divorce the works team from the engine manufacturer.

iotar__

kptaylor wrote:
dans79 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
That's why there needs to be a way to allow for bidding and to divorce the works team from the engine manufacturer.
Why would you need any of that? Why something that was considered the perfect system couple years ago is now a tragedy? It's not an F1 crisis - Renault is staying - it's only a crisis of a single team and its stooge team, that's what it is. This "crisis" is reality of F1 for many years, only difference Red Bull with all the marketing money is on the opposite end of it. This "crisis" ends once a team gets what it wants, like Pirelli tyres propaganda. As for divorcing there's absolutely no need for that. F1 engine expert H. Marko is concerned: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... f-f1-exit/ Red Bull warns of impact of F1 exit
"The truth is that the engine - the hardware - is not the real issue. That is the software and the same fuel."
Yes we know it, that's how you treated your customer team Lotus in 2014. How about you live by your own rules? BTW the hardware was also the issue - exploding bottom of the barrel engines at mid-season test.

So once you can equalise the above (software and fuel), only thing that is left is apply tyres rules to manufacturers and customers. Mercedes is sending all the engines to FIA and then they are randomly assigning them to teams. Why would that be a problem - they are all the same. Now ask yourself what kind of real life reaction from Ferrari etc. would have been about this system. By real life I exclude my preference is reality voting fantasy crowd here. What's the point of even discussing your perfect systems?

Not exactly the engines but connected through performance and applies to the whole F1, Marko:
"That is [Red Bull owner] Mr Mateschitz's opinion. He knows that it costs the same amount of money to race at the front or, like we are now doing, in the 'premium midfield' - and he is not willing to do that for another season."
This is just perfect because it is close enough to Lotus '12-'13('14) with one small difference Ecclestone money and excluding sporting side, like penalties. Again no need to change unless we're losing from it.

Edit: Why are you even discussing systems when it's not what Red Bull wants anyway? They want special parity deal with their engine supplier not fixing F1. Nothing changes or is worse for the others. Customers of Mercedes haven't received upgraded engines for the third race in a row and that's not considered a crisis :wtf: ? They are planning something opposite, allowing year-old or other b-spec engines through change of rules. This really is pointless and detached from (reality more than usual).

sgth0mas

Andres125sx wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Then you´re complaining about the lack of tests, not about the engines. In that case I agree
No im complaining about both. I know youre a huge fan of electric and hybrid vehicles...so its hard to grasp, but this formula is choking the life out of the sport and there is a mountain of data to prove it.
Yes, there is a mountain of data to prove... that F1 problems started way before V6T.

Audience have been reducing both on TV and track attendance for around 10 seasons at least, even when F1 is going to new countries so audience should be increasing, but not even those millions new spectators can stop the decreasing path F1 is suffering

Now turbo-haters/noise-nostalgics blame V6T about every single evil in F1, but reality is those evils have been around here for a lot more than V6T, so V6T can´t be the problem.

To solve a problem you first need to adress it, and V6T are not the problem. Neither a solution, but don´t blame the PU for old F1 problems like lack of competitiveness, boring predictability or unsustaibable costs for small teams and midfielders, those problems are the same today than they were in RBR era (V8) or Ferrari era (V10). Audience drop started at that point, not now with V6T.

Youre going to sit there with a straight face and say the new engine formula hasnt added substantial financial problems to all of the small teams? Spending issues may have been a problem before, but this new engine makes that increased spending mandatory.

Paying more money for an inferior product relative to your previous years...how can you defend that?

The V6t formula didnt initiate all of the problems, but it sure accelerated the shortfalls of F1 by contributing to the issues is a drastic way. Just because a problem may have existed doesnt mean the V6t is automatically exempt from blame.

emaren

sgth0mas wrote: Youre going to sit there with a straight face and say the new engine formula hasnt added substantial financial problems to all of the small teams? Spending issues may have been a problem before, but this new engine makes that increased spending mandatory.
The engine deals are currently reputed to be €20-30MM / year.

The actual team budgets are reputed to be as follows (From El Mundo Deportivo)

1. Red Bull Racing €468.7MM
2. Mercedes €467.4MM
3. McLaren Honda. €465MM
4. Ferrari €418MM
5. Williams €186.4MM
6. Lotus €139.1MM
7. Toro Rosso €137.45MM
8. Force India €129.7MM
9. Sauber €103.25MM
10. Manor €83MM

Obviously, if your budget is as small as Manor, then €20-30MM is something between 1/4 and 1/3rd of the budget.

Sadly, long gone are the days when you could buy a DFV and weld a chassis together in your shed and go F1 racing.

I am not sure what the €20-30MM package buys you, I would assume that it gets you everything that you need to make it run, the ECU is a standard item, but I have no idea beyond that.

sgth0mas

Thanks for the numbers. This shows that the cost of engines alone has a major impact on the entire bottom half of the grid. Then theres the aspect of being locked into a manufacturer that cant even improve a subpar engine to catch up to the other boys.

i70q7m7ghw

ChrisF1 wrote:It's pay TV combined with poor racing. When BBC get half the races, say the viewer switches on one of the few BBC live races and it's a Tilke-drome - good chance of nothing happening, and nobody watching.

The BBC have been lucky this year to have the Malaysian, British and Hungarian GP's, all of which had an interesting story. On another year they may have been left with duds.

They have Sochi and Abu Dhabi to come, and they will probably be pretty dull again - they won't attract new viewers.
That's something that isn't likely to improve unfortunately. When the BBC's deal expires, I fully expect Sky to secure an exclusive deal for all the races. Once F1 goes to pay TV, it'll never come back free to air.

The thing that winds me up the most is you pay £50 a month for Sky, and they still play adverts during the programme (not the race obviously) and the whole thing is sponsored by the Fair FX credit card... are you kidding me!?

Andres125sx

sgth0mas wrote:Paying more money for an inferior product relative to your previous years...how can you defend that?
Please define inferior

It is superior from a technological pov, and it is superior from an efficiency pov. It´s inferior only on aspects restricted by rules, but considering F1 rules always limit development you can´t blame the PU for that.

About cost, I don´t think investing 5% for top teams or 30% for Manor (24% for Sauber) on the PU can be considered a problem, this is a motorsport.

And we should take into account this is on first seasons with a new PU, this costs will decrease season by season, specially when perfomance between current PU and last season PU get closer because the development has evolved enough to make it difficult to improve it. At that point small teams will be able to buy last season PU at an affordable price and still be competitive.

sgth0mas

Lets remind you again that the formula are the rules. You cannot say its the fault of the rules, not the v6t formula. They are the same thing.

If you dont see a problem with forcing teams to pay a several times increase for engines when half the grid is going bankrupt...then theres no sense in going further. Drop the fanboy approach to hybrid tech and look at the facts. Making what was 5% of a small teams budget into 20-25% of their budget is a big problem. If you cant see that...theres no sense in discussing it further.

Inferior in the aspect of racing. I dont care about mpgs in F1, i care about racing. Endurance racing is where all this green activity belongs...not F1. Reliability is down, competition is even worse, and no one can afford to run. The grid penalties have made it comical to see who is at the back...pick a reason. The v6t formula is a failure from a spectators standpoint.

Andres125sx

sgth0mas wrote:If you dont see a problem with forcing teams to pay a several times increase for engines when half the grid is going bankrupt...
That´s a problem as I´ve stated myself previously in this thread because of the crisis and economical situation, true.
sgth0mas wrote:Drop the fanboy approach
Sorry but this is racing and I´m a fan, that´s the reason I bother watching
sgth0mas wrote:Making what was 5% of a small teams budget into 20-25% of their budget is a big problem. If you cant see that...theres no sense in discussing it further.
Smaller than using 8 years old frozen engines. 5% of investment on the engine on the supposed pinnacle of motorsports is comical. Now 24% for the smallest team is a lot more reasonable. 30% for Manor is not real as they´re using 2014 Ferrari engine, so they´re not paying 20-30 millions. So 24% for smallest budget (Sauber) can´t be considered crazy, specially since they´re getting second best PU in the grid, something small teams does not usually enjoy.
sgth0mas wrote: Reliability is down, competition is even worse, and no one can afford to run. The grid penalties have made it comical to see who is at the back...pick a reason. The v6t formula is a failure from a spectators standpoint.
Reliability problems have always been part of F1, it was artificial in past seasons with no failures at all. It also provide some excitement as we´ve just seen with Lewis retiring and tightening up the WDC

It may be a failure from your standpoint, I like it, even when I´d enjoy if Mercedes wouldn´t be so superior, but this is racing. Blame Ferrari, Renault and now Honda because of doing a poor job.

dans79

sgth0mas wrote: Inferior in the aspect of racing. I dont care about mpgs in F1, i care about racing.
Your watching the wrong serious then. F1 has always been about the engineering, close racing is a lucy side affect, not the intent. When Enzo made his "garagistas" slite, it wasn't about the British drivers beating him, it was about the mechanics and engineers working on the cars.....
197 104 103 7

NL_Fer

With the current formula, i don't see any other team deliver top performance than a genuine team that both built the engine and th chassis in the same site. Like now in Marranello and Brixworth/Brackley. The engine and aero department need to combine forces to win. A bigger turbo, will compromise aero on engine cover design, but increase pu performance. The have to figure out what is the fastest compromise.

Even Maranello started performing, after the chassis team started talking to the engine boys. Tombazis and Marmorini obviously could not.

I don't think any other works team can deliver the same top performance. Renault is in Enstone and Viri Chattilon, they hardly understand each other. Same for Honda in Japan and McLaren, who bassicly did the same mistake as Ferrari in 2014, a heavily compromised engine, by McLarens aero/packaging demands.

But personaly, i believe that if we see a season, were Vettel and Hamilton battle eachother every round, F1 already has a great display.

Jolle

Maybe a crazy solution:

At the moment non of the money for the teams go directly to the engine manufactures and they can't claim any points or history. The only way they can earn any money is trough payment from a team. I think thats one of the reasons why Renault wants it's own team again.

What if constructors and PU's manufactures are pulled apart a bit. For Renault for instance this would mean they would receive payments for their 4 championships from the past 6 years.

browney

Why not just give more development tokens to manufacturers who scored less world championship points....?

That would let manufacturers who take a different development path, that doesn't work out, make changes and catch back up.

This seems like a simple solution.