Formula One's Engine Crisis

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ScottB

Re: Formula One's Engine Crisis

F1 should have spent the last couple years shouting from the rooftops about these engines, the big drop in fuel consumption, the unprecedented increase in thermal efficiency and so on.

But no, first we had months of Bernie bumping his gums about noise, then cost, now all the manufacturers are evil and we need an Indycar V6 assembled on the cheap by some honest sorts in a factory somewhere?

Bernie needs to go, I agree that this 'crisis' has largely been manufactured by him (wanting to prove he's still worth it to CVC?) and weakness from the FIA. In an ideal world they find a way to increase revenue for the teams (from CVC's share ideally...) and get the manufacturers to lower the engine prices. Then get on with the show and selling a good story to the world at large.

Andres125sx

SoCalWJS wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:The more I read about this, the more I think all this engine crisis debate has been caused by MrE himself
Wasn't he the one who argued so hard for going to a "greener" engine? (more fuel efficient and use of energy recovery systems). I believe that is what has driven the cost up so much, so fast.
Exactly, he never liked these engines and has been first throwing stones on a glass house

About costs, it wasn´t best time to introduce them, that´s true. But this is F1, costs are always excessive. Now people complain about PU costs, but I´d like to hear their opinion about aero costs. The PU is peanuts compared.

Andres125sx

Foxhound, I like your avatar. The flying cannon is amazing, Mr Gatling would be proud of that

Compare the helmet size, with the bullets (and cannon obviously). It´s simply absurd

Searching for pictures of the GAU-8 I found this, and can´t stop myself from posting
:D :lol:

Sorry for the OT :oops:

giantfan10

i think the helmet size is slightly off.....nothing like waking up at 6 am in Baumholder germany at 18 years old and hearing THAT sound and not having a clue what it was till i saw 2 thunderbolts come screaming over a hill.... smoke trails from both guns 90 degree right turn then about what seems like a full 2 seconds later i heard the most beautiful sound i have ever heard from a gun on an aircraft. so if you are in combat and an A10 fires at you if you hear the gun that means he missed : )
sounds like james earl jones ripping an epic extended burpfor your listening pleasure : )

NL_Fer

Why can't lower the costs, cut the tv money and bring back f1 to the fre to air tv, instead of pay-tv

djos

giantfan10 wrote:i think the helmet size is slightly off.....nothing like waking up at 6 am in Baumholder germany at 18 years old and hearing THAT sound and not having a clue what it was till i saw 2 thunderbolts come screaming over a hill.... smoke trails from both guns 90 degree right turn then about what seems like a full 2 seconds later i heard the most beautiful sound i have ever heard from a gun on an aircraft. so if you are in combat and an A10 fires at you if you hear the gun that means he missed : )
sounds like james earl jones ripping an epic extended burpfor your listening pleasure : )
Iirc the Russians called it the "devil's cross" :D
"In downforce we trust"

continuum16

What if the fuel flow and rev limiter restrictions were removed but not the fuel tank size? This would allow teams to run their engines at "max rpm" for quail (or whatever), and would improve the sound. By not increasing the tank size this would show the efficiency of the power units and how they are on the limit anyways (because they'd have to run a similar setup/limits to now I presume). This would also increase the "show" on non-race days because the high-pitched sound would be back. This would make the cars more powerful, increase the show, and also not force a complete redesign because it would still champion efficiency. It would basically allow for the flow and rev limits to be naturally controlled rather than by the rule book.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Sevach

SoCalWJS wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:The more I read about this, the more I think all this engine crisis debate has been caused by MrE himself
Wasn't he the one who argued so hard for going to a "greener" engine? (more fuel efficient and use of energy recovery systems). I believe that is what has driven the cost up so much, so fast.
Recently he blamed Mosley for them, saying it was his idea.

Pierce89

djos wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:i think the helmet size is slightly off.....nothing like waking up at 6 am in Baumholder germany at 18 years old and hearing THAT sound and not having a clue what it was till i saw 2 thunderbolts come screaming over a hill.... smoke trails from both guns 90 degree right turn then about what seems like a full 2 seconds later i heard the most beautiful sound i have ever heard from a gun on an aircraft. so if you are in combat and an A10 fires at you if you hear the gun that means he missed : )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvIJvPj_pjE
Iirc the Russians called it the "devil's cross" :D
Bottom line: The A-10 is the sh!t.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

bhall II

Andres125sx wrote:Compare the helmet size, with the bullets (and cannon obviously). It´s simply absurd

Actual size. :D

Just_a_fan

Other than the A-10 built around the gun, and the F-14 built to carry the AIM-54 Phoenix, not many aircraft have been designed around a specific weapon system. Both fabulous aircraft; the F-14 is one of my favourite combat jet aircraft.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zeph

FrukostScones wrote:FOM paying for alernative engine development? :o

the whole Red Bull no engine for 2016 is a conspiracy by Ecclestone and DM to kill the "silent" and very efficient V6 Hybrid PU... that's what they plotted from the beginning.

Mark Hughes agrees with you:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/sh ... archionne/

dans79

zeph wrote: Mark Hughes agrees with you:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/sh ... archionne/
I hope/dream it's all a secret ploy buy the manufactures and Todt, to push Bernie into irrelevancy, and/or retirement! :mrgreen:
197 104 103 7

Hail22

Sergio Marchionne has finally come out and spoken about the debacle where Todt and Ecclestone were seeking a mandate regarding a controlled engine also touching briefly why Ferrari exercised its veto rights in regards to cost cap regulation.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... -may-walk/

Not directly related to the engine, there are other comments he's made in regards to the current status of the FIA rulebook and what he thinks of it:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122241

And finally he has touched on the idea of the possibility for Alfa Romeo returning to Formula 1:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/march ... acing/?s=1
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve