Numbers of Hamilton and Senna

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
efuloni

Numbers of Hamilton and Senna

I dont mean to make comparison between the two (please dont turn this into a 'who is the best' thing) and I looked for a place to post this, didn't know where it would be better, so decided to start this topic.

I find simply amazing the coincidence between the numbers of Lewis and his biggest idol, Senna. Check this nice image (the numbers are victories, poles, titles, laps in leadership, kms in leaderships and podiums). They are almost equal in everyway.

efuloni

Re: Numbers of Hamilton and Senna

Both of them faced hegemonies (rbr and williams) and both drove the best car for some time. The main difference is that Ayrton was not in a 'big team' in his first 3 years, what brings down his numbers a bit.

SimRacer

People really lost their sense of reality to start making these kind of chart/comparisons.

Nathanael F1

This just shows how good Senna was at qualifying. And he wasn't even in a top team his whole career, whereas Hamilton has been.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

NathanOlder

SimRacer wrote:People really lost their sense of reality to start making these kind of chart/comparisons.
Why ? Why do you need to post negative things ? Why not something constructive instead! If you have nothing good to say, dont say anything at all.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

SimRacer wrote: Negative things? According to who? You? And who do you think you are to tell anybody what they can or cannot say?

It's my opinion. And I think I'm perfectly entitle to have it and to express it. In my opinion it's a pathetic comparison.

Sorry to spoil your "Hamilton is the new Senna party". Control your fangirlism, will ya? But feel absolutely free to down vote as many posts of mine as you please if that makes you feel a bit more of a man. =D>
There is a big difference between posting a contrary opinion, and just posting something to be a dic...............

Any by the way I down-voted your post not him!
197 104 103 7

Shrieker

This is a comparison of pure statistics. Everyone knows Hamilton isn't the man Senna was. No need to get all rattled.

The standout from the comparison clearly is Senna's pure speed. Yes Senna contested in lesser cars initially, but to Ham's credit, Senna's rivals on Saturdays were a bit vanilla compared to the combination of RB7/9 and Vettel. Yes I know Williams were ahead by a country mile in 92, 93 and the second half of 91.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Moose

Your opinion is fine, but you need to back it up by something. If you're going to assert that people "lose their sense of reality" you need to demonstrate what is not realistic, i.e. what is factually incorrect in the charts being referred to.

NathanOlder

SimRacer wrote:
Negative things? According to who? You? And who do you think you are to tell anybody what they can or cannot say?

It's my opinion. And I think I'm perfectly entitle to have it and to express it. In my opinion it's a pathetic comparison.

Sorry to spoil your "Hamilton is the new Senna party". Control your fangirlism, will ya? But feel absolutely free to down vote as many posts of mine as you please if that makes you feel a bit more of a man. =D>

Well im just looking at the stats. And in my opinion stats are factual, and opinions can be wrong. And the stats say Lewis has pretty much levelled Senna's record in pretty much the same amount of time. Which considering Lewis idolised Senna if pretty crazy to believe it's actually happened.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

turbof1

Some people don't even bother to read past the title. The topic starter was extremely clear on the intentions:
I dont mean to make comparison between the two (please dont turn this into a 'who is the best' thing)
I comment the people who actually readed that, and understood this has nothing to do with "who's is the best". It's purely comparing statistics. Even the title was clear on this.

I'm not happy at all with the 2 people trying to ruin it for the others who did got the message. Even when pointed out by the others, they still try to make this a "who has the longer d*ck" comparing competition. Right here and right now: put it back in your pants, move away from this topic and just let people with genuine intentions discuss numbers.

I'm removing some of the unwanted jibber jabber.

One last quote from the good guys:
If you have nothing good to say, dont say anything at all.

A sense of reality starts with being constructive.
#AeroFrodo

Fulcrum

NathanOlder wrote: Well im just looking at the stats. And in my opinion stats are factual, and opinions can be wrong. And the stats say Lewis has pretty much levelled Senna's record in pretty much the same amount of time. Which considering Lewis idolised Senna if pretty crazy to believe it's actually happened.
Hamilton is awesome, but I think he is being flattered (slightly) by these types of comparisons.

Pretty much levelled? They have parity on the number of races, podiums and wins but Senna is ahead on everything else, and that is not taking any circumstances into account.

-Senna not starting in a top team vs. Hamilton starting in a potentially Championship winning McLaren.

-Senna having to compete with Prost in his most dominant car vs. Hamilton competing with Rosberg at Mercedes. Rosberg is no Prost, and if he were, Hamilton would have far fewer victories to show.

-Senna competing in an era with much higher attrition / poor reliability. Senna retired 50 times vs. Hamilton's 19. Look at Senna's wins to finished ratio of 41/111 (36.94%) against Hamilton's 40/141 (28.37%). Yes, one can argue that Senna made more mistakes, and some of those DNF's are his own doing, but there is no question he had more DNF's that were not of his own making.

Hamilton is probably going to win at least 2 more championships uncontested, this year and likely next as well. Suddenly he will start being compared to Michael Schumacher - let's make a thread for that :wink:

turbof1

You are not reading what he is saying: he ONLY said Hamilton leveled records of Senna. How he did that, what he did, what car, etc, is not what he is discussing. Hamilton matched Senna's records, that's the only thing that was said. So stop reading what's not there.

Again this is not a thread to find out who is best: different timelines, different cars. Don't bother asking this question and don't bother to read this in other's their comments.

For what it is worth, I too find it fantastic that Lewis was able to match those exact same stats. Nothing to do with how they performed against one or another, just that for Lewis that it will be special and emotional. I will not be surprised if he sheds a tear because of this, this weekend.
#AeroFrodo

alexx_88

If the purpose is not comparing the two drivers, why are we looking at a side-by-side comparison of their stats? :)

Facts Only

SimRacer wrote:People really lost their sense of reality to start making these kind of chart/comparisons.
This being written by somebody called Sim Racing who has a video linked questioning if its reality or not in their post has really tickled me.

I've never seen anybody racing a car in brown brogues either.

Anyway, I find it more humanising tha Hamilton has an idol that he aspires to, in this day in age getting anything other than robotic "for sure" statements out of drivers is near impossible. Although it pales in comparison to Vettel being a fan of Nigel Mansell and doing a Brummie' accent on Top Gear, absolute class.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

turbof1

alexx_88 wrote:If the purpose is not comparing the two drivers, why are we looking at a side-by-side comparison of their stats? :)
Because these stats are nice to see for a change, it's purely informative though. Not everything has to be sugar-coated in competition. Isn't it just nice and enough to see that essentially a fan is reaching the same numbers as his lifetime hero?
#AeroFrodo