brawn's part in the mercedes success

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lebesset

brawn's part in the mercedes success

following their second WCC today , hamilton acknowledged the part ross brawn played in that success
not a word from the current management of the team

chapeau lewis
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Shrieker

Re: brawn's part in the mercedes success

The man has got some class after all, turns out...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatรผrk

henra

lebesset wrote: not a word from the current management of the team
A fact which speaks more about the current Management than the role of Ross Brawn. It is for sure not a coincidence that success followed Ross Brawn, albeit not as quickly as some might have hoped. But in F1 success is something that always required a long lead time and the right People in place. Cue Ferrari back in the day, cue Red Bull and now Merc. Multiple years of high and well directed efforts. You only reap much later than it was sowed. So there can't be any doubt that Ross Brawn must have had a very important role in creating the current success.

So hat's off to Lewis for openly stating something that is -although being quite obvious- possibly not 100% in line with the current Corporate line.

SunsAnvil

Had Ross not taken over the failed Hondae team, Mercedes would probably still be an engine supplier. It needed someone with Ross's forsight and drive to take something that was falling a part and create the catalyst for the rewards that are now being reaped by Mercedes. It is a shame that there is no acknowledgement / thanks for him saving the team and, more importantly people's jobs. Had Ross not stepped in where would be be today?

ME4ME

SunsAnvil wrote:It is a shame that there is no acknowledgement / thanks for him saving the team and, more importantly people's jobs.
Although his name isn't mentioned that often, he does get credit for his work. He is one of the most respected people in the F1 industry and his time at Mercedes only enhanced that reputation.

SunsAnvil

Yes but he's not recognized by Mercedes.

Jolle

First of all, I think that Ross Brawn is one of the greats of F1 and he took a risk when he took over the Honda team and put lots of bricks in place for the current Mercedes team.... but... we have no clue what went on/goes on behind closed doors. I don't think Lauda/Wolff and the rest of the senior team members just "forgot" to give him praise left and right, so there must be something.... same thing goes for Schumacher. He drove as a former champ for the team for 3 years and you might think they would honor him a bit more then a #keepfighting tag on the bodywork. Maybe he did put lots of the senior staff in place but wanted to steer the team (technically) into a different direction? We just don't know...

PlatinumZealot

SunsAnvil wrote:Had Ross not taken over the failed Hondae team, Mercedes would probably still be an engine supplier. It needed someone with Ross's forsight and drive to take something that was falling a part and create the catalyst for the rewards that are now being reaped by Mercedes. It is a shame that there is no acknowledgement / thanks for him saving the team and, more importantly people's jobs. Had Ross not stepped in where would be be today?
Toto is still bitter that Ros Brawn did not believe in the "three leader" vision that Mercedes wanted to put into place. Ross wanted to remain as the single reference. One Man to steer the team. I am not sure If that would have affected the success of the team today, but regardless Ross definitely laid the foundation.

Hamilton being not corporately shackled is the only one that will hail him openly. Paddy cannot overly praise "the renegade" Brawn in front of Mercedes. He must toe the line.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

MercedesAMGSpy

Hamilton did a great open interview with a journalist from Switzerland in Singapore. The journalist couldn't write some of Lewis answers after LH press guy interfered. I am not surprised to see Lewis again saying what he wants and it's great. Ross Brawn is part of this success.

FoxHound

Of course Mercedes recognise Ross Brawn, thanks for the link Scott.

Why else would they have signed off a half billion dollar investment under his stewardship and see him off without recognition.
It is also lost on some people here that Toto Wolff owns part of the team along with Lauda.

And what really gets my tits in a twist, is the guy that sold the vision to Mercedes, Norbert Haug, hasn't been mentioned once.

Want a reference point? He got Mercedes to bail a doomed Brawn out. He yanked on Zetsche's purse strings to get the stuttgart mothership to invest more money in a souring investment. He took the PR flak for the mediocre return of Mercedes, he bought the team more time to continue evolving until finally falling on his sword shortly before Mercs breakthrough 2013 season. Dignified and proud, so he should be given his service to Merc.

It may not be on equal footing technically, though some may argue Brawn not overly technical, but Haug's contribution is equally as important in my eyes.

Here's to Norby Haug! =D>
JET set

henra

FoxHound wrote: It may not be on equal footing technically, though some may argue Brawn not overly technical, but Haug's contribution is equally as important in my eyes.

Here's to Norby Haug! =D>
Thanks and a big +1 !

I didn't want to take away anything from Norbert Haug. He together with Ross Brawn are surely the fathers of the current success. It's a bit sad irony that they both had to quit so shortly before their work yielded the results.

PlatinumZealot

Of course they just recognize him as a formality. Toto won't just candidly say it.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™