Wheelgun Alternatives ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Webber2011

Re: Wheelgun Alternatives ?

Cold Fussion wrote:This is a solution in search of a problem IMO. I've never seen an F1 car run over the air lines and the risk of it happening is mitigated by the teams pulling in the lines when other teams are coming in for a pit stop, what's more the potential injury if the line is pulled out isn't huge beyond the initial whipping force of the line. There have been so many other pitstop safety concersn arise over the years that I don't see the benefit in focusing on such a small risk.
Well it certainly doesn't seem to represent much risk in the scheme of things, I agree.
I have seen air lines get tangled and cause problems in other forms of racing, but don't remember it in F1.

I guess the danger was what initially got us thinking about it, but towards the end of our conversation we were actually thinking battery power might just be a superior way to go.
After reading the comments here and researching it a little more in depth, seems I underestimated the current guns.

I honestly thought it would be possible to build an electric device to rival the pneumatic versions.

Apart from the, admittedly very small risk, about the only other thing going for it would be providing a less cluttered pit area I guess.
That would likely make for better footage during pitstops, and maybe even increase the speed ?
When we're talking about 2 second stops I guess it's irrelevant really.

bdr529

Re: Wheelgun Alternatives ?

I use all 3 at work, battery, electric and pneumatic, drills, hammer drills, chipping guns and my favorite the pneumatic rivet buster
each one has their benefits, I don't need extension cords or a place nearby to plug in with the rechargeable tools,
I don't have to worry about not having enough power or battery life with the electric tools.
And with pneumatic tools I don't have to do anything other then having a large air compressor, now they will freeze up when you use them all day long. but that's not a issue for an F1 team. the real benefit is the tools simplicity

As for rechargeable drills/guns, I can't imagine having to travel the globe with all those converters for the electric sockets.