Best rookie of the season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
efuloni
efuloni

Best rookie of the season

Let's talk about them?

This is how they are in the standings so far:

12. Max 33
13. Nasr 25
(...)
15. Sainz 12
(...)
19. MER 0
(...)
21. ROS 0

I guess the discussion, of course, remains on Max, Nas and Sai. Both STR drivers seem to be very talented, although is hard to judge when the main parameter we have is how they compete to each other. They also had a lot of bad luck during the season, but, at least, STR looks fast enough, even tough is not reliable. Nasr's Sauber, on the other hand, is arguably the third (sometimes second) slowest car in the grid, and Felipe is doing well. Sauber had only two upgrades this year, first of them in Singapore, and even by now they runs with an out of date ferrari engine. Its no easy job. However, we should keep in mind that many of his points came from the most atypical race: Melbourne, where he finished fifth (what doesnt take his credits, for sure. He took the oportunity as he was supposed to do).

So, who do you think is doing best? What future do you expect for them in F1?

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Re: Best rookie of the season

Toro Rosso boys are a step above Nasr, but I won't lie - Nasr has impressed me as I had very low expectations.

Too close to call with Verstappen and Sainz - I think that they're both doing a fantastic job, and that Sainz would be much closer to Max in points had he been luckier with reliability.

Don't remember Sainz throwing it into the gravel or barriers as much as Max has done, save for the last race. I expect he has - missed a few races and practice sessions this year.

knabbel

ChrisF1 wrote:Toro Rosso boys are a step above Nasr, but I won't lie - Nasr has impressed me as I had very low expectations.

Too close to call with Verstappen and Sainz - I think that they're both doing a fantastic job, and that Sainz would be much closer to Max in points had he been luckier with reliability.

Don't remember Sainz throwing it into the gravel or barriers as much as Max has done, save for the last race. I expect he has - missed a few races and practice sessions this year.
I'm biased, but there is a reason that Toto Wolf was talking with the manager of Verstappen this weekend and not with the Manager of Sainz.

I think that in the beginning of the season it was close, but Verstappen has shown more progression during the season. Sainz looks like he's overdriving the car in the last few races.

Phil

I'm going to go with Sainz. I really like the way he drives and I think he's had quite a share of bad luck... Max is a tricky one. I like his aggressiveness, but I think it's also bordering on being a bit too much.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

mertol

Max IMO

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I've followed Nasr since GP2. He seems a very dependable sort, an ideal number 2 really. I'd put a bit of money on him replacing Massa at Williams, considering he comes with decent backing from sponsors.

ian_s

as always it is hard to define 'best'.
fastest on an empty track, fastest in traffic, most entertaining, most reliable?

in that list i have go for Max, purely because he is entertaining to watch, and also for refusing to let his team mate past

WaikeCU

I'm not gonna lie here, but Verstappen makes the STR literally dance. It's kinda like the qualifying lap Senna once did in Adelaide driving for Lotus in the turbo era. It was literally dancing. I had a similar experience watching Verstappen during the Singapore GP, moving from the back of the grid through traffic. He was literally dancing, fighting for grip yet he was faster than most of the cars ahead. It's exciting to watch. Sainz is more composed but yet so fast.

SiLo

I'm enjoying watching them both, and Nasr just seems to be at the right place at the right time a lot, keeps picking up good points.
Felipe Baby!

krisfx
krisfx

I'd go with Verstappen. He's matching his older and far more experienced team mate at every chance and he's really exciting to watch.

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

I would say Max above Sainz slightly, They both lost a lot of points due to reliability Max in the beginning and Sainz in the last part of the season. They also both had their incidents: Max in Monaco (R) and Silverstone (R), Sainz in Singapore (Q) and Sochi (R).

Why Max slightly ahead, well because of his overtaking skills he has shown in the races, his learning curve and his tire management skills.

PlatinumZealot

I hate to admit it, but IMO it is Mac verstappen. Sainz is the better driver but I think Max has a better instinct. I rate them almost equal with the edge to Max.
Close behind is Nasr.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Godius

Sainz is a really good driver who is always driving on the edge, resulting in an oversteer racing style that is fun to watch but not always the best/fastest way to drive. I have the feeling that Verstappen is more in control of the car and is often quicker to respond if he has to make a correction.

Nasr isn't in the same category as Verstapen and/or Sainz, Nasr only delivers on circuits that rely on Power Unit strenght.

MercedesAMGSpy

Max Verstappen totally justified the hype and to do that when you are so young and there was so much pressure is very impressive.

Andres125sx

Difficult to say when both Max and Carlos have suffered 5 and 6 DNFs, but 2 of them were Max mistakes (spin in Silverstone and crash in Monaco) while Carlos DNFs have always been due to the car. In Sochi he had brake problems since lap 20 on a track wich is not hard on brakes, so you can´t count that as a driver mistake, there was some problem with the car

Probably Max is a bit faster, but he also makes more mistakes so it´s difficult to say who´s better overall

knabbel wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:Toro Rosso boys are a step above Nasr, but I won't lie - Nasr has impressed me as I had very low expectations.

I'm biased, but there is a reason that Toto Wolf was talking with the manager of Verstappen this weekend and not with the Manager of Sainz.
Please tell us what was the conversation :P