2016 Fantasy Liveries topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
cmF1

Re: 2016 Fantasy Liveries topic

diego1960 wrote:I don't really like the Renault livery, but that McLarren is stunning!

Also, the Ferrari livery is bad, it's the "Marlboro" logo that messes up however.
The Renault livery is an original. The mclaren one is just yet another harm back to an old paint job. Stop with the retro and have some imagination!!
プラスとマイナス

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

how about no! :D

the renault livery indeed is exciting, the thing with the macca liveries why people cling back much to the old livery is not just because of the livery, but because of what it meant. it was at one of the best moments of time in F1, Senna, dominant mclaren-honda. these liveries bring that feeling of excitement back.

if Mclaren actually would be battling for the championship, i'm sure the comment on the liveries would be much less.
and, lets face it, their liveries haven't been really enjoyable the past couple of years.

btw, is that you in the avatar????
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ym108
ym108

OneAlex

As someone who was slightly too young to remember the iconic Senna years, I'd still love to see that orange-white / a red-white classic livery.

I know a lot of people think it's unoriginal and associate it with Malboro but I don't think cigarettes when I see it any more than I did watching the Panasonic Toyotas (or the black and gold Lotuses), I just think it's a classic livery that looks great and invokes an historic era of motorsport.

Compared to McLaren's 2015 livery which I still think looked like an HRT-meets-Hotwheels mash-up decided in a corporate boardroom.

Rhodium

it's a retro livery (2015 one, but...)

a realistic one

cmF1

Manoah2u wrote:how about no! :D

the renault livery indeed is exciting, the thing with the macca liveries why people cling back much to the old livery is not just because of the livery, but because of what it meant. it was at one of the best moments of time in F1, Senna, dominant mclaren-honda. these liveries bring that feeling of excitement back.

if Mclaren actually would be battling for the championship, i'm sure the comment on the liveries would be much less.
and, lets face it, their liveries haven't been really enjoyable the past couple of years.

I agree with that, but that livery suited the cars of the era. It would just look messy on todays cars. Look at the JPS colours. Absolutely shocking on the Lotus of the last few years. That's why I hope Renault actually go with something new and modern and they and make their own history.

....and yes it's me. Why?
プラスとマイナス

cmF1

Rhodium wrote:it's a retro livery (2015 one, but...)

http://i.imgur.com/ucYEBAD.png
FIT!!!
プラスとマイナス

Jolle
Jolle

cmF1 wrote:

I agree with that, but that livery suited the cars of the era. It would just look messy on todays cars. Look at the JPS colours. Absolutely shocking on the Lotus of the last few years. That's why I hope Renault actually go with something new and modern and they and make their own history.

I agree! I like the retro look for fun, but not on a proper racing car. The Renault livery looks exciting new indeed! I'm also one of her few people who liked McLarens looks last year.

But the main thing I don't like from most cars the last few years is the amount of small sponsor stickers. The look like heavy metal jackets sometimes. I like cars plain and simple, a uniform design. The RedBull test livery without Infinity is a good example

wesley123
wesley123

cmF1 wrote: Look at the JPS colours. Absolutely shocking on the Lotus of the last few years.
Those weren't actually the JPS colors. They only ran those actual colors in early 2011. After that it got more of a beige color, afaik because it looks more consistent in different light etc.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

cmF1

wesley123 wrote:
cmF1 wrote: Look at the JPS colours. Absolutely shocking on the Lotus of the last few years.
Those weren't actually the JPS colors. They only ran those actual colors in early 2011. After that it got more of a beige color, afaik because it looks more consistent in different light etc.
It was an homage to them but still a blatant rip off. The same would happen with mclaren. In person, it's almost fluorescent red, and 99% of the sponsors are black. If they did the exact same scheme on a current car, I can guarantee it would look awful. There's just too many curves on today's cars for it to look the same. Also if it was done, people would say it doesn't look as good as it did in the past.
So, what's the point?
プラスとマイナス

Facts Only
Facts Only

cmF1 wrote:

Because you are a girl and he has almost managed to interact with you! We don't get many around these parts... Well not with a picture anyway.

As for retro liveries I think they are a bit too.much of a contradiction for a short that's at the forefront of technology. A good livery lineage like the Renault yellow and black does work though as long as it stays fresh.
Last edited by Facts Only on 29 Jan 2016, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

cmF1

I'll take it down if it's causing issues. I mean it's only a picture...
プラスとマイナス

Facts Only
Facts Only

I was just making light. I don't think anyone is bothered either way.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

ScottB
ScottB

cmF1 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
It was an homage to them but still a blatant rip off. The same would happen with mclaren. In person, it's almost fluorescent red, and 99% of the sponsors are black. If they did the exact same scheme on a current car, I can guarantee it would look awful. There's just too many curves on today's cars for it to look the same. Also if it was done, people would say it doesn't look as good as it did in the past.
So, what's the point?
Most of the mockups get round this by just ignoring reality and imagining you could draw a straight line from the engine cover across the side pod on a modern car.

Apart from anything else, I can't imagine they'd gain much from running what would be in effect, a Marlboro livery, could easily generate a negative media reaction, would other sponsors want that association and so on.

That and harking back to a very successful spell during arguably the teams worst spell might not be a great plan either. I'd love McLaren to move forward with a new look of their own!

cmF1

ScottB wrote:

Most of the mockups get round this by just ignoring reality and imagining you could draw a straight line from the engine cover across the side pod on a modern car.

Apart from anything else, I can't imagine they'd gain much from running what would be in effect, a Marlboro livery, could easily generate a negative media reaction, would other sponsors want that association and so on.

That and harking back to a very successful spell during arguably the teams worst spell might not be a great plan either. I'd love McLaren to move forward with a new look of their own!
BANG ON!! If they could get themselves a title sponsor and start filling up the gaps on their current livery, the car would look amazing!!
プラスとマイナス