2016 Fantasy Liveries topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Blackout

Re: 2016 Fantasy Liveries topic

Thanks guys
@Variante: maybe I'll do a Ferrari
cmF1 wrote:
Just raced with this livery on Forza 6. It's just beautiful!!
A screenshot?

bdr529

adrianjordan wrote:
stefan_ wrote:Another great one for Renault there.

I wonder how it would look on an F1 car at the Singapore race somehing like BMW did at Daytona this year, with reflective stripes. Pretty badass I presume.

http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploa ... lts-16.jpg
Maybe McLaren could do that if they keep the largely black livery - have the red stripes and sponsor logos in retro-reflective...though I doubt they'd be able to do them light in weight enough to actually do it :-(
I used to manufacture both fluorescent and phosphorescent (glow in the dark) paint, the fluorescent paint doesn't weight any more then non fluorescent paint of the same colour, It just has to be paint over a white under coat for the fluorescent effect to work properly,
The glow in the dark paint weight more, because you need to use metal, either copper or silver zinc sulfide to activate the other metals used in the paint like cadmium, manganese or zinc to name a few to make it glow in the dark. different metals make different colours. but this is a true glow in the dark paint, once the lights are out the paint will glow for as long as 10-12 hours in complete darkness
But a car like last year's McLaren didn't have a great deal of red on it, replacing that with a fluorescent red, difference in weight would be minuscule, if at all

cmF1

Blackout wrote:
A screenshot?
Excuse the quality...
プラスとマイナス

bdr529

I think I'v mention this product before AERO Advanced Paint Technology.
With out going into some boring chemical lecture it's kind of like a vinyl rap but the product is actually paint that has been laid down in film form.
Real world application: Coating a 747 jetliner with AERO Paint requires 2500 fewer pounds of paint than traditional sprayed applications, that equates to a difference of 250 gallons less to do the same job.

For race car application it means you don't need to use primer first nor do you need to tape of area's like traditional painting.
no need for a paint both, no dry time, so you can move on to the next part of the car right away
here's a couple of videos showing the difference in "painting a car"

by the way this car is coated in AERO Advanced Paint

djos

I was under the impression that most F1 teams wrapped their cars already, aiui RedBull definitely do.
"In downforce we trust"

stefan_
stefan_

Does the matte paint affect in any way the airflow over the surface of the bodywork that is applied to? I am thinking that compared to glossy paint, it can slow down (even by the tiniest bit) the air over that particular surface.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Hail22

Autosprints SF 2016 Concept:

This is a new concept for 2016 (refer to bottom image of the two)

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Daliracing

I would love to see the first one!

bdr529

stefan_ wrote:Does the matte paint affect in any way the airflow over the surface of the bodywork that is applied to? I am thinking that compared to glossy paint, it can slow down (even by the tiniest bit) the air over that particular surface.
That is a excellent question Stefan. Cars that are manufactured now have a special clear coat that is applied over the matte/flat paint finish, unlike years back when they first introduced these types of paint finishes.

example of today's automotive paint systems from BASF ( similar to other OEM's )
Using the highest values given, we get a total thickness of 127 µm that equates to 0.127mm. as thick as a human hair.

If this was the old style of flat/matte paint we wouldn't have the clear coat applied leaving the base coat ( flat paint ) exposed, which is why you had trouble clean it or people touching the car, because every time the little paint particles got knocked over leaving a "shinny" spot or a finger print.
These paint particles are small, I mean were talking about some really small numbers, in the range of 0.25 µm -1 µm
that's 0.00025 mm to 0.001 mm in thickness or in this case height.

I'm not sure that difference would show up in a wind tunnel test, I would have to assume you would need to go to some University lab or even a place like NASA to see a difference in airflow over hi-gloss paint vs. old style flat finish

Sorry I can't give you a firm yes or no answer, my personal opinion would be that it wouldn't make a difference, a bug stuck to the front wing would have more of an effect on a F1 car's aero then using an automotive matte finish paint

bdr529

djos wrote:I was under the impression that most F1 teams wrapped their cars already, aiui RedBull definitely do.
I have no doubt that Red Bull used vinyl rap on last years test car, but for the rest of the year I thought that the car was painted blue and the rest of the sponsor logo's were transfers or stickers much like most teams do
McLaren was still painting their cars in the traditional way last year and then adding sponsor's "stickers" after http://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autos ... One-Season
I spoke to the owner of the company at the IMSA race at mosport last year he said that this product is actually lighter in weight then vinyl rap, and it has a greater durability then vinyl because it's still real paint just in sheet form not liquid.
it wasn't till he told me that you only need to use a heat gun for the most complex curves that I started to realize that this stuff was much different the just a vinyl rap

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

since paint is lighter than vinyl wrap, yes, they paint. some logos may be vinyl, some logos may be painted on. the 'bigger' teams most surely will paint their vehicle in it's entirety, they'll avoid putting any vinyl layer on top of the existing layer as it will cause minute disturbances in the airflow, which, on the grand scale may add up to an amount that they'll concider worthy. if taking over a car and getting points is the result of having logos painted on instead of vinyl layers on, then that is worth it double time.

i'm certain no f1 car is totally wrapped, as wrapping is a very delicate job that needs a lot of skill to do it perfectly, without wrinkles, bubbles, etc. f1 cars have many rounded and also sharp edges which makes it impossible to get it out of a single giant wrap cover. thus, it comes down to having to lay multiple wrap sheets perfectly alligned. too much work, too much time.

for testing it may be another story as they could do it in some layers if they concider they get clear enough results and numbers from the tests.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ajprice
ajprice

There are pictures from one of the first races where Williams had the Martini livery of somebody in the garage laying the Martini stripe graphics on the white body.

In 2011 on the BBC coverage there was a film about Mercedes, with Schumacher giving Lee Mckenzie a tour of the factory, the chrome effect Mercedes badge on the nose was being airbrushed manually on each nosecone. 2:25 into this video is the paint booth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAODm1cX2rc

Hail22

Found this on reddit, eh its not bad...not great though as I like the honeycomb on the rear of the car!

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

6 of 12
6 of 12

Apparently, La Republica have got a few drafts for the 2016 livery directly from the factory in Maranello. This one being the nicest looking of the three pictures being discussed in the 667 speculation thread:

No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

Denaris
Denaris

Another version of the Renault RS16 I knocked up last night