2-Stroke Formula Cars.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Re: 2-Stroke Formula Cars.

@ Hillclimber

your current project seems very interesting
it would be great eventually to see a write-up, maybe in Engineering Projects (in the Automotive section)

the CVT seems a good match for hillclimbs & sprints
(reminding me of a past sprint competitor's advocacy of automatic transmission)

Hillclimber
Hillclimber

The car is now finished ready for testing and 1st race at Shelsley Walsh on May 4th

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

very well done !!

btw
there was a Rotovic 'V12' cylinder 2 stroke engine for the 1.5 litre F1, raced in a stretched Lotus 23 in minor races c. 1964-5
made from 6 coupled 250cc Ariel Arrow engines by/for? Bill Hill - power c.210-220 hp
it was in the Donington museum and a museum in Utah
and appeared eg at Goodwood in 2008 and 'Lotus' Shelsley Walsh in 2012
seemingly the Autosport Feb 5th 1965 had an article on it

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

andylaurence wrote:
06 Dec 2015, 22:20
Noise. Both the volume and the tone. Who wants to listen to a strimmer?
When the top class of world motorcycle racing was using 2 stroke motors, everyone loved it!

That is now looked back on as a great era in the history of bike racing.

strad

I thought someone would post about SKYs discussion about the smell when Ferrari and Haas start their engines and the follow up where they discussed that in 1950 part of the fuel make up was Castor oil and it's smell and the boys in the booth said they had never heard of such a thing.
The funny part for me was that when they talked about the smell,, castor oil was the first thing that popped into my mind. Not that I think Ferrari is mixing in Castor oil..though they might. Also thought is was hilarious that Croft and Kravitz had never heard of it. It was a staple in the old two stroke bikes. One of the few things I miss about my old two stroke Moto Cross days. that smell.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

strad wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 20:39
I thought someone would post about SKYs discussion about the smell when Ferrari and Haas start their engines and the follow up where they discussed that in 1950 part of the fuel make up was Castor oil and it's smell and the boys in the booth said they had never heard of such a thing.
The funny part for me was that when they talked about the smell,, castor oil was the first thing that popped into my mind. Not that I think Ferrari is mixing in Castor oil..though they might. Also thought is was hilarious that Croft and Kravitz had never heard of it. It was a staple in the old two stroke bikes. One of the few things I miss about my old two stroke Moto Cross days. that smell.
'back in the day' most of the riders in my group added a dash of Castrol R to a tank full of fuel just because we loved the smell. It was quite expensive to use as the main oil for a roadgoing bike, but most of us used it in the racers until 'visco static' came along.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Saxmansaxman
Saxmansaxman

I work at a shop that specializes in motocross and offroad bikes.

Arrived at the shop recently. The other guy was running the power washer.
That ... smell.

He was running leftover premix in the washer. Bean oil!!

It has been years. But that is one fine smell. I ran it in my own roadgoing 2T bikes long after there were better oils. Love the stuff!

Scootin159
Scootin159

Formula 500 (or F5) is a reasonably popular class in the United States. It's an open-wheel formula car series using a variety of ~500cc 2-stroke production snowmobile engines, including the CVT transmission. I drove one for nearly a decade - they're fast, fun, and (relatively) cheap to operate. The cars are roughly 135hp and 800 pounds (with fuel and driver).

I now drive a KZ1 shifter kart, and the F500 was comparable in both cost and performance, although the KZ1 is slightly cheaper and slightly faster (hence my switch).

Saxmansaxman
Saxmansaxman

I do like me some two stroke !!

Noice lookin ride ...