So glad the season is finally over

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nokivasara

Re: So glad the season is finally over

I've been losing some interest too over the last years, but I've still seen most of the action.
The reason I'm not super-exited anymore is not because of Merc domination, I didn't quit during the schumi/Ferrari era (even if it was close), and I was a McLaren fan during their strong years so that's that.
The reason for my slight loss of interest is that they aren't racing anymore, it's more about saving tires and fuel.
I realize that it has been like that to some extent for a long time but nowadays it's such a big part of the races, and I just can't seem to get over it...

No wonder the field is level and a rookie can do great results when they are all going as slowly as possible :roll:

DiogoBrand

If you consider that for the past three years there have been only 6 race winners, and only 4 if you consider the last 52 GPs, you don't need to watch it to know it's boring, if I wasn't interested on the technical aspect of the sport I wouldn't follow it at all, as I didn't follow it from 2005 until 2015. If you take the first 7 GPs of 2012 there were more race winners than for the last 3 seasons.

There definitely needs to be a whole rulebook makeover, if they only allowed for more mechanical grip and reduced aero grip, as well as the aero devices sensibility (you can't have a breeze across the track or the Front Wings stop working) we'd have a whole other sport, as said by Vettel himself, but as also said by Vettel, there are a bunch of political reasons that will keep this from happening, so the next exciting season by my calculations will be around 2035.

FoxHound

DiogoBrand wrote: If you take the first 7 GPs of 2012 there were more race winners than for the last 3 seasons.
That was racing at it's absolute worst.

Gimme a monstrous W05/06 beast to devour the grid over fabricated Pirelli nonsense. No blame on Pirelli there either, just the nonsense surrounding the tyres.
JET set

strad

over fifty years following F1 and this was by far the worst season ever. for a number of reasons but mostly because of stupid rules and regulations.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

Even Vettel domination was better. We had nice scraps for the podium at least.

I actually missed a race this year. Watched it the following day in 50 fps recorded. If next year is like this year I might do it for every race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FoxHound

strad wrote:over fifty years following F1 and this was by far the worst season ever. for a number of reasons but mostly because of stupid rules and regulations.
Even though it was preceded by a more dominant season with more stringent rules? :lol: :lol: :lol:
JET set

Chuckjr

So glad the season is over. Farcical championships are never pleasant for anyone - the competitors, the fans, the sport in general - because winning says nothing except, "yep, I can drive a 1.5 seconds per lap faster car than one other guy." It's like playing golf when everyone else has 50 strokes added to their score, and then believing winning the game actually carries some sense of meaning. Smh.

Let's hope 2016 brings an actual championship challenge so the winner can finally earn a championship, not just a coronation ceremony.
Watching F1 since 1986.

strad

The rules have been an obstacle for years even decades now. The fact that the FIA designate most of the design parameters is a huge problem.
Most of the problems have been pointed out in the media and hundreds of internet sites, many, many times only to have the powers that be turn a blind eye in favor their chosen misguided agenda.
For quite some time despite smokescreen requests for our input they have shown nothing but contempt for the fans.
One of the things I find most interesting is that the show is a visual one but their television production values are very low and only add to the boredom.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SectorOne

If Ferrari can bring it next year then 2016 could potentially be one of the best seasons in F1 with Mercedes and Ferrari duking it out but i look forward to 2017 way more, i like fast F1 cars and we might get the fastest f1 cars ever built that year.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Vasconia

SectorOne wrote:If Ferrari can bring it next year then 2016 could potentially be one of the best seasons in F1 with Mercedes and Ferrari duking it out but i look forward to 2017 way more, i like fast F1 cars and we might get the fastest f1 cars ever built that year.
Give me a close battle between Mercedes and Ferrari, being Rosberg in a good shape. Plus Honda and RB with better engines and it could be a great season. Its posible so lets be hopeful!!

bauc

Vasconia wrote:
SectorOne wrote:If Ferrari can bring it next year then 2016 could potentially be one of the best seasons in F1 with Mercedes and Ferrari duking it out but i look forward to 2017 way more, i like fast F1 cars and we might get the fastest f1 cars ever built that year.
Give me a close battle between Mercedes and Ferrari, being Rosberg in a good shape. Plus Honda and RB with better engines and it could be a great season. Its posible so lets be hopeful!!
I agree, so everyone please make a NewYear wish for better 2016 season :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Andres125sx

One of the most boring seasons ever, agree. IMO these are the reasons they´re breaking new records on boredom

1- Most dominant car ever

2- Artificial overtaking advantage (DRS) wich prevent drivers from taking any risk for overtaking, no reason to fight around the track when you can pass easily at the straight. They ruined the most exciting part of racing, the battles. They´ve achieved what seem imposible, now even overtaking is boring.

3- Crappy tires wich do not allow drivers to push hard so since all of them drive at maybe 90%, there are no mistakes and everything becomes even more predictable

4- Rules wich do not allow development, so Mercedes advantage is secured, and Honda and Renault disadvantage is set on stone for the whole season. You know the result after pre-season... what a exciting championship

Basically F1 is becoming some sort of competition to find new ways to make racing boring. They´re doing a great job if that´s the target, any of these four reasons would upset fans in any other sport, but in F1 we must suffer the four togheter #-o

CHT
CHT

Andres125sx wrote:One of the most boring seasons ever, agree. IMO these are the reasons they´re breaking new records on boredom

1- Most dominant car ever

2- Artificial overtaking advantage (DRS) wich prevent drivers from taking any risk for overtaking, no reason to fight around the track when you can pass easily at the straight. They ruined the most exciting part of racing, the battles. They´ve achieved what seem imposible, now even overtaking is boring.

3- Crappy tires wich do not allow drivers to push hard so since all of them drive at maybe 90%, there are no mistakes and everything becomes even more predictable

4- Rules wich do not allow development, so Mercedes advantage is secured, and Honda and Renault disadvantage is set on stone for the whole season. You know the result after pre-season... what a exciting championship

Basically F1 is becoming some sort of competition to find new ways to make racing boring. They´re doing a great job if that´s the target, any of these four reasons would upset fans in any other sport, but in F1 we must suffer the four togheter #-o
Spot on. And lets not forget the boring track side entertainment with that vacuum machine sounding engine noise. Been following F1 since the V10 days, never missed watching a race from the grandstand or subscribing to F1 racing until V6 came about. To be honest, F1 today is so bad that I felt bad for the commentators who were trying so hard to make a boring season interesting.

Phil

My personal opinion is that most people have no fricking clue what they want. They clinch on to something they think is the cause without realizing that what they are criticizing has actually been put there to make the sport more interesting.

Lets take the tires for example. Lots of people, drivers included, are criticizing the tires for being so 'crappy' and that this results in them not having to push that might lead them to making more mistakes. Okay, although I don't really get that logic. Mistakes are usually a consequence of driving at the limit or when a certain element of unpredictability enters. That precisely happens with sensitive tires. The tire has a limited life span, when it's used up, the tires become more unpredictable as they lose grip. Which results in the car becoming harder to drive.

This has indirectly lead to some of the most exciting battles in the recent years; Situations where a driver on old tires desperately defends against cars further behind with more grip because they are on fresher tires. Or a situation like Bahrain 2014, where two identical cars are offset by a performance differential exaggerated by the fact both cars were on different tires.

People want more genuine racing, but ignore that more genuine racing means more progression. Take away DRS and you get trains of cars following each other. Yes, we have that now too, but to a lesser extent, because cars at least have the chance to get passed one another. More durable tires will only lead to cars driving off in the distance as they'll be more or less flatout with lesser management. And I'm unsure how a more durable tire would result in more mistakes too; the sheer fact that the tire is more durable means that it is also more predictable. Making mistakes isn't a function of driving quicker - it's a function of driving closer to the limit. If that limit is at velocity x or velocity x+10kmh in a corner matters little really. In fact, we can already look at it now; Drivers start making mistakes mistakes not when the tires are at their freshest and the grip levels at maximum, but when it's the other way around.

So... it's all good to wish for less crappy tires and no DRS, but we should at least be aware of what happens when we ban them in favor of something else.

I'll say it again; Motorsports is inherently boring. You are never going to end up with a spectacular sport if the quickest car qualifies in front and remains in front, driving off into the distance. DRS and crappy tires were introduced to bring some of the spectacle to the sport, not to decrease it.

What I find ludicrous is that Mercedes dominance is a problem. Welcome to F1. You either have a technological sport where you end up with cars that are not equal and then domination of one team over others is the logical consequence, or you end up with a spec series where all cars are equal and then you have the unpredictability in the drivers... But you can't have both at the same time... Not when the car accounts for 95% of the performance.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

strad

DRS and crappy tires were introduced to bring some of the spectacle to the sport, not to decrease it.
But they didn't work and only made things worse.
The clag alone is a huge problem created by these crappy dictated tires.
Sir Stirling Moss