2015 Abu Dhabi 12-hour Pirelli test

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nevill3

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

turbof1 wrote:The issue I'm noticing is that the picture with the aero rake clearly shows the red banded super soft, and not the new purple banded ultra soft. I don't know for sure if the other tyres also are being changed.
I thought that the test was blind so the colours of the tyre walls would be meaningless, Pirelli have not informed the teams which tyres were being fitted, although the experienced drivers would be able to guess I am sure.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

F1NAC

Re: 2015 Abu Dhabi 12-hour Pirelli test

ultra soft tires are only non marked tires and there are few version of ultrasoft compounds. Also Pirelli changed tire construction on all types

Edax

stefan_ wrote:That's always a good sign when you have covered half of the car with flow-vis. Not.
Perhaps they are just trying to draw the attention of a new title sponsor.

lio007

If anyone's interested and is able to understand spanish: obviously there's been (a kind of) live coverage
http://directo.laf1.es/

Sevach

Joseki wrote:Stoffel is always in P1 8)
He is used to GP2 engines :lol:

stefan_

Sevach wrote:
Joseki wrote:Stoffel is always in P1 8)
He is used to GP2 engines :lol:
Good one, sir :D
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

DiogoBrand

Can we assume by this test that Vandoorne is 3s faster than Alonso and Button, and that the lack of pace from the car through the year was actually the drivers' fault? :( :o :shock: :? :wtf:

Edit: Seriously now, look at the amount of graining on those tyres. Is pirelli actually capable of making rubber that won't disintegrate after five laps?
From McLaren twitter.

hollus

DiogoBrand wrote:...Is pirelli actually capable of making rubber that won't disintegrate after five laps?
'
It should be obvious, but... apparently not without testing! The purpose of this test was exactly to find this point where the tire falls off the cliff in 10 laps without disintegrating in the first 5. And they get a grand total of 12 hours to do that in which all material has to be brought to the track ahead of collecting any data on any of it and without info or control on the exact performance of the testing vehicle(s). This is totally counter to the logical way of testing that is: test a bit, find trends, change the hardware to follow those trends, test another bit, find the next trend.
I'd cut (pun intended) Pirelly some slack, specially during their only test session of the (next) year.
Rivals, not enemies.

Vasconia

A 12 hour test is a joke. I understand why Pirelli complains so much. They should have much more time to develope better tyres. I hope they give them more time for 2017.

Thunder

Sure the Tire Testing is a Joke but seeing this...
Teams have asked Pirelli to buy or build a proper test rig like it's used by Michelin or Bridgestone. But so far this was rejected by Pirelli for cost reasons.
...makes me just shake my Head.

Full Article to the Quote:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 72203.html
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

Anyone has access to Autosport Plus? There is a interesting text: F1 teams are already counting down the weeks to the start of pre-season testing for 2016. CRAIG SCARBOROUGH looks at what we can learn about next year's cars from the Abu Dhabi GP

If anyone can share some info on the new stuff ''tested'' it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ChrisF1

No new parts would have been tested, it wasn't allowed.

turbof1

ChrisF1 wrote:No new parts would have been tested, it wasn't allowed.
Not during the test, but they were allowed to try out new parts during free practice on friday and saturday. Those parts might actually have been allowed too during the test if they were ran in free practice.

It's another walk with the rules: you aren't allowed to test unrun parts, so you quickly run for a few rounds during FP.
, allowing you to say at the start of the test that the parts were used before.
#AeroFrodo

DiogoBrand

hollus wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:...Is pirelli actually capable of making rubber that won't disintegrate after five laps?
'
It should be obvious, but... apparently not without testing! The purpose of this test was exactly to find this point where the tire falls off the cliff in 10 laps without disintegrating in the first 5. And they get a grand total of 12 hours to do that in which all material has to be brought to the track ahead of collecting any data on any of it and without info or control on the exact performance of the testing vehicle(s). This is totally counter to the logical way of testing that is: test a bit, find trends, change the hardware to follow those trends, test another bit, find the next trend.
I'd cut (pun intended) Pirelly some slack, specially during their only test session of the (next) year.
But isn't that the Super softs they already had? Why would they need testing on a tyre that's already in use to make it 'finally' work?

BanMeToo

Again - Pirelli may change the underlying construction of the 4 existing dry tires for next year, give them a slightly different behavior. Soft tires were tested as well as SS. Plus the different ultrasoft trials, of course.