2016 Pecking Order Speculation and Fantasy Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: 2016 Pecking Order Speculation and Fantasy Thread

ferkan wrote:Don't hold your breath :mrgreen:
I assume your speaking to the tifosi, if so I agree! :D
197 104 103 7

seezung

full analysis from f1metrics:

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2016/03 ... orm-guide/

1 merc
2 ferrari
3/4/5 str redbull williams
6 force india
7 renault
8 mclaren

f1316

I think it's probably also fair to speculate that Ferrari will bring a bigger package to Melbourne than Mercedes. Being so far ahead in terms of baseline reliability has meant that they had plenty of time to bed in new parts at the test - which is obviously preferable - but there is the chance that Ferrari throw an upgrade package on in Australia that just works out of the box and brings them even closer.

We should also note the difference in track characteristics between Melbourne and Barcelona; from what I've heard, the Ferrari is very good in traction and high speed corners, so you would tend to think Barcelona would be fairly good for them. Still, it could be that a different track either condenses the field or spreads it out more; I'd tend to think the former.

continuum16

Looking more in-depth, it seems like this year will be a tiered formula

Mercedes-Ferrari
(+0.6-0.8) Williams-Red Bull-Force India-STR
(+1-1.2) McLaren
(+1.2-1.8) Renault-Sauber-Haas-Manor

McLaren is the loner because they'll move from the bottom tier to the second by the end of the year.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

FrukostScones

Final one:

1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Red Bull (very close)
4. Toro Rosso
5. Williams
6. Force India
7. Renault
8. Sauber
9, Haas
10. McLaren
11. Manor
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dans79

f1316 wrote: but there is the chance that Ferrari throw an upgrade package on in Australia that just works out of the box and brings them even closer.
This would be something new, because this almost never happens, at least for Ferrari.
197 104 103 7

f1316

dans79 wrote:
f1316 wrote: but there is the chance that Ferrari throw an upgrade package on in Australia that just works out of the box and brings them even closer.
This would be something new, because this almost never happens, at least for Ferrari.
Fair point - I certainly understand the scepticism.

But the general development over the course of last year was actually pretty good and this is a different set of engineers/designers than a few years ago. I'm willing to bet that Ferrari's equipment (e.g. Wind tunnel) is as good as anyone - it just depends who's using it.

dans79

f1316 wrote: But the general development over the course of last year was actually pretty good and this is a different set of engineers/designers than a few years ago. I'm willing to bet that Ferrari's equipment (e.g. Wind tunnel) is as good as anyone - it just depends who's using it.
It would be a nice change compared to what we saw during Alonso's tenure.
197 104 103 7

flickerf1

dans79 wrote:
f1316 wrote: But the general development over the course of last year was actually pretty good and this is a different set of engineers/designers than a few years ago. I'm willing to bet that Ferrari's equipment (e.g. Wind tunnel) is as good as anyone - it just depends who's using it.
True. Aren't they also using Haas' Wind tunnel that was special for some reason and possibly gave them some advantage on their aero?
The Wicked + The Divine.

Peter1919

flickerf1 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
True. Aren't they also using Haas' Wind tunnel that was special for some reason and possibly gave them some advantage on their aero?
No you have that backwards. Haas use Ferrari's wind tunnel and there is speculation that Ferrari have been able to use some of Haas wind tunnel time and results to their own advantage

flickerf1

Peter1919 wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
No you have that backwards. Haas use Ferrari's wind tunnel and there is speculation that Ferrari have been able to use some of Haas wind tunnel time and results to their own advantage
Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me. :)
The Wicked + The Divine.

PlatinumZealot

seezung wrote:full analysis from f1metrics:

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2016/03 ... orm-guide/

1 merc
2 ferrari
3/4/5 str redbull williams
6 force india
7 renault
8 mclaren
Wondeful! :mrgreen:
We are clear ahead! =D>
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

f1316

What i think is very positive is that every team - even Manor, I would suggest - think they can score points at some stage or another.

Obviously not everyone can at every race - and I'd be surprised Renault and Haas achieve their points target in Melbourne unless there are massive dnf's - but we do not necessarily know who will be on the back row for example.

Therefore, if Ferrari are within the 0.2 that some are predicting (and I grant it's a big if), we'll have battles all the way through the field, which would be great.

PlatinumZealot

After qualifying conforence i can surely say that Vettel handles disappointment much better than Fernando. lol The car is no net gain in qualifying this year (at least on this track) another tough hill to climb, but I think with Ferrari's Number 1 driver policy Vettel is a huge threat till the very end.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Fulcrum

I think its going to depend substantially on how many tracks force Ferrari to run with Medium, or harder, tyre compounds.