Alfa Romeo return?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316
f1316

Alfa Romeo return?

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/id ... 4?irpc=932

Would personally love to see it. I wonder if Marchionne is eyeing a move to take Torro Rosso off Red Bull's hands if their interest in the sport continues to wane?

Joseki
Joseki

Re: Alfa Romeo return?

Marchionne has no interest in buying a second F1 team, Ferrari is just a tool to serve FCA for him, winning it's a way to make more money.

PlatinumZealot

I agree. I think he would rather build another factory the same way Porsche built one for the 919.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

FW17

Or put an Alfa Romeo in Indy Car as a factory team and help develop Indycar into an absolute beast of a series in north and south america

zeph
zeph

I'm an ignoramus, but if it was my money, I'd sooner do that.

Alfa Romeo is returning to America, and participating in one of the American series seems like a logical choice for brand building.

rgava
rgava

What they can easily do is to rebrand customer engines as Alfa Romeo and keep Ferrari only for the works team. :D

Facts Only
Facts Only

Isnt there going to be a V8 RWD version of the new Alfa saloon as? NASCAR programme sureley beckons... who do Ferrari/FCA know who have a successful NASCAR programme already? Hmmmm...

I dont think there is any use in just rebranding a customer engine for a mid-field team as an 'Alfa Romeo' thats the sort of crummy half-masure that has allowed Afla Romeo to slip way down the automotive pecking order already. The only way it would be of any benefit was if they did have a NASCAR programmme with HAAS they could run similar livery on the NASCAR and F1 cars and brand that (F1) engine as an Alfa' to spread the name.

There could be some legs in an Indycar programme and Indy really needs a third manufacturer. An engine and aero kit programme surely could be run out of Ferrari's F1 operation? Or farm the engine out to Judd (and actually pay them so they can do the job properly), AER, Gibson etc etc.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

kptaylor
kptaylor

So which of the customer teams do you think would be up for being an Alfa-branded team? Sauber (needs the $$), STR (might be interim unless they buy them), Haas?

Alfa won't be anything more than a rebranded Ferrari PU, just a marketing exercise. I see them doing F1 and Indy cars, but marketing only.

mkable1370
mkable1370

kptaylor wrote:So which of the customer teams do you think would be up for being an Alfa-branded team? Sauber (needs the $$), STR (might be interim unless they buy them), Haas?

Alfa won't be anything more than a rebranded Ferrari PU, just a marketing exercise. I see them doing F1 and Indy cars, but marketing only.
Maybe these Alfa Romeo comments a veiled threat to Arrivabene and the Ferrari boys? Wouldn't it be like Marchionne (the consummate businessman) to sponsor a second FIAT-backed team (or at least threaten to do so) with the idea that competition breeds success? Light a fire under Arrivabene and the team?

Within FIAT, Ferrari really hasn't had any competition, no comparative yardstick against which to measure there performance. I can see the reasoning for Alfa in F1.

Demetrius
Demetrius

I really hope so. I've been saying for a couple of years that F1 needs more manufacturer teams. Let's be honest, what is an Force India? what is an Toro Rosso? What is an Sauber?

In this year, Force India did a great job with the 5ยฐ place in the world championiship, and what repercussion it have in the global media? none. People simply don't care, because they are irevelant for the aumotive industry.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Alfa Romeo will return in F-1 only if Ferrari quit... :lol:

More likely Alfa Romeo will power an LMP2 in 2017 in the USA.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/124472-i ... 7-p2-entry

Jolle
Jolle

Alfa Romeo already is back in F1 last year, as a sponsor of Ferrari (or more like helping your older broke brother with a LinkedIn like)

But as a manufacturer, makes marketing wise more sense to rebadge some of the client PU's into Alfa's or Fiats. Ferrari themselves get little to none extra marketing valu out of them. This could also open the door for more brand exposure like: Nissan, Smart, Acura and Chysler. Just like Toyota did with Williams and the Lexus brand a couple of years ago.

It works both ways. If, for instance, Sauber can make the Alfa deal, their car (with their sponsors) will be featured in Alfa marketing, making Sauber more desirable for sponsors. With the current Ferrari branding, there is none of that.
So...
Haas-Chrysler
Toro Rosso - Alfa Romeo
Sauber - Fiat

Racer X

Facts Only wrote:Isnt there going to be a V8 RWD version of the new Alfa saloon as? NASCAR programme sureley beckons... who do Ferrari/FCA know who have a successful NASCAR programme already? Hmmmm...

I dont think there is any use in just rebranding a customer engine for a mid-field team as an 'Alfa Romeo' thats the sort of crummy half-masure that has allowed Afla Romeo to slip way down the automotive pecking order already. The only way it would be of any benefit was if they did have a NASCAR programmme with HAAS they could run similar livery on the NASCAR and F1 cars and brand that (F1) engine as an Alfa' to spread the name.

There could be some legs in an Indycar programme and Indy really needs a third manufacturer. An engine and aero kit programme surely could be run out of Ferrari's F1 operation? Or farm the engine out to Judd (and actually pay them so they can do the job properly), AER, Gibson etc etc.

I have agree completely it makes sense now all of it ..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Joseki
Joseki

mkable1370 wrote:
kptaylor wrote:So which of the customer teams do you think would be up for being an Alfa-branded team? Sauber (needs the $$), STR (might be interim unless they buy them), Haas?

Maybe these Alfa Romeo comments a veiled threat to Arrivabene and the Ferrari boys? Wouldn't it be like Marchionne (the consummate businessman) to sponsor a second FIAT-backed team (or at least threaten to do so) with the idea that competition breeds success? Light a fire under Arrivabene and the team?

Within FIAT, Ferrari really hasn't had any competition, no comparative yardstick against which to measure there performance. I can see the reasoning for Alfa in F1.
Absolutely no, Marchionne is literally doing anything he can to win SOON, he's burning bridges with anyone in the paddock to regain political power and many other things are happening inside Ferrari. Alfa is not going to have any team in F1.

bhall II
bhall II

Joseki wrote:...and many other things are happening inside Ferrari.
It's kinda surprising how Marchionne's machinations seem to be flying under the radar in terms of public perception. While he's clearly an astute businessman, he is not working for Ferrari.

I think everyone recognized the Ferrari IPO as a cash grab for FCA. But, that's not all...
Bloomberg, October 12, 2015 wrote:In addition to nearly $1 billion in proceeds from an initial public offering, Ferrari will pay Fiat Chrysler 2.8 billion euros ($3.2 billion), according to a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The payout, called the FCA Note, was 2.5 billion euros in a Sept. 22 document on the transaction and was originally supposed to be 2.25 billion euros.
And that's largely borrowed money.
Autoblog, November 30, 2015 wrote:Ferrari announced Monday that it is borrowing about $2.6 billion to finance its spinoff from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

Here's how it breaks down: Ferrari NV, the automaker's parent company based in the Netherlands, is taking out loans totaling 2.5 billion euros. That's equivalent to $2.64 billion at current exchange rates, and is divided between a term loan of $2.12 billion and a revolving credit facility of $529 million. The larger term loan "will be used to refinance indebtedness owing to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles," among other purposes. That ought to constitute the lion's share of the $2.38 billion which the Prancing Horse marque was, according to reports last year, slated to pay its current parent company in order to help FCA fund its ambitious growth plans.
He's effectively raiding his own company. Given that, it's not difficult for me to envision a scenario whereby Ferrari assets are leveraged to provide exposure for FCA in the form of an Alfa Romeo race team.