Alfa Romeo return?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: Alfa Romeo return?

According to Radio Le Mans Toro Rosso could become in 2017 the Alfa Romeo works team.

Also doing rounds is that it will be a different engine. Makes sense as Sergio Marconi wanted just 30 million from red bull for a new Ferrari Frankenstein engine

CBeck113

Why Toro Tosso? Ferrari already has a B-team they could easily rename: HAAS. Gene will have his fill after two to three years, and Ferrari basically designed that car anyway, so why not reduce Haas to a sponsoring contract and rename the team? Wouldn't be difficult, and wouldn't cost them much, if anything.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

ChrisDanger

CBeck113 wrote:Why Toro Tosso? Ferrari already has a B-team they could easily rename: HAAS. Gene will have his fill after two to three years, and Ferrari basically designed that car anyway, so why not reduce Haas to a sponsoring contract and rename the team? Wouldn't be difficult, and wouldn't cost them much, if anything.
I'd like to see you suggest that to Gene Haas! :o I doubt he's anywhere near as negative about the prospects of his team as you are. Do you think he came to Formula 1 on a whim?

OneAlex

Gene Haas has already said that he understands as a new team you have to "pay your dues" and work your way up from the back of the grid over a number of years before you can expect to start winning, so as long as he doesn't go bankrupt or disillusioned with the politics of F1 (I suspect NASCAR politics are at least somewhat more about racing and less about power plays) I wouldn't want to wait around for him to give up if Torro Rosso was in the offering.

CBeck113

We also do not know what Haas is paying (or not) Ferrari for their windtunnel, engineering & design, or intellectual property, so even if he was very optimistic about designing as little as possible while buying omst of the car finished from Ferrari, he still has to pay for it. I am not negative about Haas, I see this venture as a business exercise and can very much imagine that he could break even financially wiht world-wide exposure for his company in about three years, after that I believe he'll start to bleed cash, unless one or more teams fold (such as Sauber or Force India) and aren't replaced so Haas doesn't have to fight for the TV revenue. Otherwise they will have to develop, and then it gets expensive.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail