BBC to lose F1 coverage from 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Re: BBC to lose F1 coverage from 2016

Just_a_fan wrote:
CHT wrote:Here is a statement from Chairman taken from BBC Worldwide Annual report.
BBC Worldwide is not the BBC. It is an off shoot of the BBC that exists solely to sell programmes to other countries. The Royal Charter was altered to allow for the formation and operation of BBC Worldwide. The BBC itself is funded by the TV licence which is collected from the viewing public. Any profit from Worldwide is allowed to be used to help fund the BBC itself which nicely reduces the need to increase the TV licence fee.

I can only assume that you are not British or you would be well aware of the role and status of the BBC in the UK.

Don't know why people are down voting you. Wasn't me I hasten to add.
You keep talking about the Royal Charter, when no part of the Royal Charter mentioned BBC is not supposed to be a commercial entity that generate profit growth so that they can reward themselves with bonus and justifying paying their key executive over million pound a year. Isnt its as good as saying there is moral obligation for doctors, hence we shouldnt expect doctors to be rich?

Like I said the decision to cut F1 is a commercial decision and the reason why its call cutting "cost" is because its not making money. If F1 is making tens of millions of pound profit a year for BBC, you wont call that cutting cost would you?

Just_a_fan

I give up. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

CHT wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
CHT wrote:Here is a statement from Chairman taken from BBC Worldwide Annual report.
BBC Worldwide is not the BBC. It is an off shoot of the BBC that exists solely to sell programmes to other countries. The Royal Charter was altered to allow for the formation and operation of BBC Worldwide. The BBC itself is funded by the TV licence which is collected from the viewing public. Any profit from Worldwide is allowed to be used to help fund the BBC itself which nicely reduces the need to increase the TV licence fee.

I can only assume that you are not British or you would be well aware of the role and status of the BBC in the UK.

You keep talking about the Royal Charter, when no part of the Royal Charter mentioned BBC is not supposed to be a commercial entity that generate profit growth so that they can reward themselves with bonus and justifying paying their key executive over million pound a year. Isnt its as good as saying there is moral obligation for doctors, hence we shouldnt expect doctors to be rich?

Like I said the decision to cut F1 is a commercial decision and the reason why its call cutting "cost" is because its not making money. If F1 is making tens of millions of pound profit a year for BBC, you wont call that cutting cost would you?
I know lots of doctors, NONE of them are rich.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

hemichromis

CHT wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

So if the Royal charter doesn't say that the BBC is not a commercial entity you assume it is?

That's some logic!

CHT
CHT

The reason media companies get into sports is because of advertising, and the reason for selling advertising is to make money. Do you get to see TV commercial on BBC F1 broadcast? Yes, plenty.

hemichromis

CHT wrote:The reason media companies get into sports is because of advertising, and the reason for selling advertising is to make money. Do you get to see TV commercial on BBC F1 broadcast? Yes, plenty.
You don't!

i70q7m7ghw

CHT wrote:The reason media companies get into sports is because of advertising, and the reason for selling advertising is to make money. Do you get to see TV commercial on BBC F1 broadcast? Yes, plenty.

But the BBC don't receive any revenue from any of that? Don't get me wrong, I can see where you're coming from, but the problem with the BBC is the royal charter and the fact it can't make a profit. My personal view is the TV licence should be scrapped and the BBC should be allowed to offer sports such as F1 on pay per view channels.

Just_a_fan

No! The BBC does not carry adverts.

BBC Worldwide might do in the US, but that is not the BBC. FFS, will you please just listen to people who actually know what the BBC is. Not what BBC Worldwide is but THE BBC.

andylaurence

No, the BBC in the UK is a public service like the National Health Service and the police force. It is funded by taxation whereby it's illegal to watch TV without paying your TV licence, which directly funds the BBC. There is no advertising on the channels, nor on the BBC website, nor the radio channels.

R_Redding

CHT wrote:Do you get to see TV commercial on BBC F1 broadcast? Yes, plenty.
As a foreign viewer to the BBC website and iplayer , you may see adverts and advert clips.

But viewers in the UK see no adverts or clips in any BBC output be it TV , Radio , web.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc.com/faq/

Just_a_fan

Indeed, in the UK we can't watch BBC Worldwide stuff online precisely because Worldwide is not funded by the licence fee.

SiLo

I hate that they pressure you so much for a license fee. What if I don't want to watch any BBC channels?

As such, I don't buy one and just watch stuff later on iPlayer.
Felipe Baby!

i70q7m7ghw

SiLo wrote:I hate that they pressure you so much for a license fee. What if I don't want to watch any BBC channels?

Well the licence fee money goes to the BBC, but the licence fee itself is required purely for watching live TV, it has nothing to do with what channels you watch and how you watch it. The rule is, if you watch live TV, you need to buy a TV licence. You can, however, watch in black and white and save a bit of money on your licence fee :roll: Watching programmes on-demand via services such as BBC iPlayer is currently a loop hole which allows you to avoid the TV licence providing you don't make use of the live streams.

It looks like F1 is in relatively safe hands with Channel 4 now, they'll be able to monetise the coverage without putting adverts during the race coverage, and I really hope it works out for them. Who know's, they might get an option to take the full coverage back from SKY when their contract ends, we can only hope!!

ScottB

Diesel wrote:
SiLo wrote:I hate that they pressure you so much for a license fee. What if I don't want to watch any BBC channels?

Well the licence fee money goes to the BBC, but the licence fee itself is required purely for watching live TV, it has nothing to do with what channels you watch and how you watch it. The rule is, if you watch live TV, you need to buy a TV licence. You can, however, watch in black and white and save a bit of money on your licence fee :roll: Watching programmes on-demand via services such as BBC iPlayer is currently a loop hole which allows you to avoid the TV licence providing you don't make use of the live streams.

It looks like F1 is in relatively safe hands with Channel 4 now, they'll be able to monetise the coverage without putting adverts during the race coverage, and I really hope it works out for them. Who know's, they might get an option to take the full coverage back from SKY when their contract ends, we can only hope!!
As I mentioned earlier, some of the fee also goes to ITV and Channel 4.

If, hypothetically speaking, the BBC switched to a set up like the aforementioned, the license fee would still exist, it would be less, most likely, but it's a misnomer to view at as all going direct to the Beeb.

turbof1

Channel 4 reveals its broadcasts:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122520
#AeroFrodo