New feature in F1 - 15 laps sprint race

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zak
zak

New feature in F1 - 15 laps sprint race

Hello everyone. I wonder if it is possible to create a sprint race in F1 where each driver will drive 15 laps one by one and on TV we will watch 20 ghost cars racing on one track with each others but after a video mounting of all 20 individual races?

Same car for everyone, same grid position for all drivers and a lot of ghost car overtakes. This is what we need - we will find out whos the best on the same car and we will see a lot of overtakes(battle) but with no touches

There is a disambiqulation of a track temperature, weather and different factors but it s more fair racing as slow drivers will not hold up fast drivers and we will see more overtakes.

What are your thoughts about the idea? Thank you
Last edited by zak on 08 Jan 2016, 23:56, edited 2 times in total.

Facts Only

Re: New feature in F1 - 15 laps sprint race

So it's just a time trial? That's what qualifying is.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

zak
zak

Facts Only wrote:So it's just a time trial? That's what qualifying is.
Time trials but videos will be superimposed on each others so we will see 20 cars overtaking each others at the same time

Plus point of this feature that they will start from the same grid position - both Mercedes and Manor, etc

Ghost car feature was used in free practices of 2015 so they know this technology

proteus

Problem number 1: Each driver needs on average 85 seconds to complete a lap, which means for 15 laps 1275 seconds which translates to roughly 21 minutes of running. 20 cars individually run for aproximetly 420 minutes, roughly 7 hours. even if they would send two cars together (when one would be on the half way trough the lap) it would still last for more than 3 hours.
Problem number 2: The drivers would not have equal track conditions.
Problem 3: In case of an incident on track, the whole thing would be held for even longer + what to do with the remaining car on track.
Problem 4: How to make this work with changing weather conditions
Problem 5: How to make this work in the countries with narrow optimal lighting window.

I personally would like to see a leaders ghost car in live broadcast, when someone atacks his time to be able to see the gap between the cars live, not only trough time information.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Manoah2u

@ this i can only say this:

HELL TO THE

no
no
NO
NO
no
no
NO
NO
no
no
NO
NO
no
no
NO
NO
no!
no!!
NO!!!
NO!!!!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan

proteus wrote:Problem number 1: Each driver needs on average 85 seconds to complete a lap, which means for 15 laps 1275 seconds which translates to roughly 21 minutes of running. 20 cars individually run for aproximetly 420 minutes, roughly 7 hours. even if they would send two cars together (when one would be on the half way trough the lap) it would still last for more than 3 hours.
Both of these problems could be solved by having all of the cars on track at the same time...

:wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zak
zak

Just_a_fan wrote:
proteus wrote:Problem number 1: Each driver needs on average 85 seconds to complete a lap, which means for 15 laps 1275 seconds which translates to roughly 21 minutes of running. 20 cars individually run for aproximetly 420 minutes, roughly 7 hours. even if they would send two cars together (when one would be on the half way trough the lap) it would still last for more than 3 hours.
Both of these problems could be solved by having all of the cars on track at the same time...

This is what we dont want to see how force indias are holding up half of the cars that could fight for better positions and do it with all cars. But because of this phenomena we see just individual(not group) battles that is not entertaining

:wink: :lol:

zak
zak

Manoah2u wrote:@ this i can only say this:

HELL TO THE

no
no
NO
NO
no
no
NO
NO
no
no
NO
NO
no
no
NO
NO
no!
no!!
NO!!!
NO!!!!
Wanna see boring races? You are in heaven i guess cause we have them enough

zak
zak

Problem 3: In case of an incident on track, the whole thing would be held for even longer + what to do with the remaining car on track.
Problem 4: How to make this work with changing weather conditions
Problem 5: How to make this work in the countries with narrow optimal lighting window.

I personally would like to see a leaders ghost car in live broadcast, when someone atacks his time to be able to see the gap between the cars live, not only trough time information.
I have mentioned those problems in the title message but there could be a solution. For example - putting cars on a track each 2 minutes by 10 cars in a group. In total 2 groups. It s possible to make i guess if they will accept such idea. The main reason is - there will not be individual battles as we see nowadays, but there will be group battles that is much more entertaining
Last edited by zak on 09 Jan 2016, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach

It would be really helpful if posts like this were framed "Suggestion: XXXXX".

And i don't like it btw.

zak
zak

Sevach wrote:It would be really helpful if posts like this were framed "Suggestion: XXXXX".

And i don't like it btw.
Reason please. What is better? Watching boring races because of inequality and unfair or watching how the best drivers taking part in a group fights with the same conditions?

I have my point of view - entertainment and fair.

What is your point of view and the reason that you dont like this idea, mister?

bdr529

15 consecutive crash free laps out of Maldonado might be interesting to see :o

Manoah2u

ah look at the attitude.
'comply to my views or it is boring'. and socially provocatively slightly agitating replys.

it's simple.
it does not belong in F1 it belongs in other GP categories. leave it for the demised A1GP and the GP2-etc like series.

F1 is not boring, it has races which are boring and it has races whis aren't. if any, there could be the issue of having too much races. less races and more engines would solve a lot of the 'boredom'. would be cheaper and easier to realise compared to a new race format added to the already busy schedule.

second of all, there were many races not at all boring this year. i guess people nowadays have a attention span of a goldfish if not every minute a mario-kart upgrade or explosion happens. probably due to redbull drinks and Grand Theft Auto games.

also, people glorify the past as if it wasn't boring. yeah right. he performed amazingly but schumacher constantly winning was dead-boring.

people just realised the boredom less because
1) they watched the races on free cable tv wich included many ADS where you had commercial breaks thus missing parts of the race and got excited waiting to see what you missed
2) then you actually missed something and you got excited by the replays
3) or you missed nothing and something exciting happens when you watch
4) or nothing happens but you still got excited waiting
5) you got a drink and chips running to the kitchen hoping to miss nothing [more active less sleepy time]
6) the tv stations only showed 15 minutes before the race and perhaps the driver interview immediately afterwards, opposed to being able to get unwantedly bored by the full hour preview, then the race, and then the boring aftermath. simply a result of becoming lazy and slow after watching too long TV.
7) adless commerciallless tv thus seeing the entire race without breaks giving the illusion of making it more boring
8) explosions and extreme (fake) action on TV every minute on even a friggin cooking show has left the audience addicted adn expecting action every minute [like said before].

F1 does not need no sprint race. especially since the format is already being changed so lets await that fun.

and again. you can have your opinion. i can have mine. and others can have theirs. if you only want your opinion, why post? isnt having your opinion enough?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zak
zak

Manoah2u wrote:ah look at the attitude.
'comply to my views or it is boring'. and socially provocatively slightly agitating replys.

it's simple.
it does not belong in F1 it belongs in other GP categories. leave it for the demised A1GP and the GP2-etc like series.

F1 is not boring, it has races which are boring and it has races whis aren't. if any, there could be the issue of having too much races. less races and more engines would solve a lot of the 'boredom'. would be cheaper and easier to realise compared to a new race format added to the already busy schedule.

second of all, there were many races not at all boring this year. i guess people nowadays have a attention span of a goldfish if not every minute a mario-kart upgrade or explosion happens. probably due to redbull drinks and Grand Theft Auto games.

also, people glorify the past as if it wasn't boring. yeah right. he performed amazingly but schumacher constantly winning was dead-boring.

people just realised the boredom less because
1) they watched the races on free cable tv wich included many ADS where you had commercial breaks thus missing parts of the race and got excited waiting to see what you missed
2) then you actually missed something and you got excited by the replays
3) or you missed nothing and something exciting happens when you watch
4) or nothing happens but you still got excited waiting
5) you got a drink and chips running to the kitchen hoping to miss nothing [more active less sleepy time]
6) the tv stations only showed 15 minutes before the race and perhaps the driver interview immediately afterwards, opposed to being able to get unwantedly bored by the full hour preview, then the race, and then the boring aftermath. simply a result of becoming lazy and slow after watching too long TV.
7) adless commerciallless tv thus seeing the entire race without breaks giving the illusion of making it more boring
8) explosions and extreme (fake) action on TV every minute on even a friggin cooking show has left the audience addicted adn expecting action every minute [like said before].

F1 does not need no sprint race. especially since the format is already being changed so lets await that fun.

and again. you can have your opinion. i can have mine. and others can have theirs. if you only want your opinion, why post? isnt having your opinion enough?
İ just want people to explain their reasons. Not just writing - i dont like it.

I agree with your thoughts but it is unfair to see one team beating everyone so i want to see who s better with the same conditions for all for 15 laps. F1 is not as entertaining as can be so i can ask at least for such mini race. Also, there are no explosions. We just see real life overtakes and find out whos the best in a real way.

I dont find it not just entertaining but even fair how Trulli were holding up the half of the grid.

Moreover, you are a part of an F1 community meaning that you are a true fan. But we should consider 90% audience desire, not avid fans desires

Facts Only

zak wrote:
Sevach wrote:It would be really helpful if posts like this were framed "Suggestion: XXXXX".

And i don't like it btw.
Reason please. What is better? Watching boring races because of inequality and unfair or watching how the best drivers taking part in a group fights with the same conditions?
If they are all driving at seperate times that's not a fight, it's a time trial.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver