Saturday sprint race

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Saturday sprint race

Marca says F1 strategy group is considering if a sprint race in saturday may be posible in F1, moving qualification to that same morning. It quotes Joe Saward as the source

http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b4595.html

It´s spanish, so here´s a summary of the proposal/idea

- New sprint race in saturday, 45 minutes.
- No tire changes allowed
- No fuel restrictions
- Qualifying on saturday morning eliminating last car each 3 minutes
- Sunday race will be limited to 90 minutes (fuel restriction would remain the same, so fuel flow could be increased on sunday race too)
- GP winner will still be sunday race winner
- Saturday race winner would score 7 point

Surprinsingly, I like the idea

jericho

Re: Saturday sprint race

Just don't. Go back to 1 hour unlimited driving in qualli and no tire restrictions in qualli. The race should be with refuelling, the fastest they can, so more fuel use and unlimited tire use! Points like Motogp.

FrukostScones

Andres125sx wrote:Marca says F1 strategy group is considering if a sprint race in saturday may be posible in F1, moving qualification to that same morning. It quotes Joe Saward as the source

- No fuel restrictions
- Sunday race will be limited to 90 minutes (fuel restriction would remain the same, so fuel flow could be increased on sunday race too)

surprisingly me too. (and I came in fuming)

but I see a lot of problems regarding fuel/fuelflow/(qualy)/tyres/PU-usage (also true potential vs. GPpotential, eyeopening how good it could be...etc.)
Last edited by FrukostScones on 24 Jan 2016, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ME4ME

Andres, I agree. Those plans sounds pretty decent.

I like the 3 minutes elimination qualifying especially. It requires top teams to be more alert, go and and do laps, and offers greater chance of people being out of natural position for the race.
jericho wrote:Just don't. Go back to 1 hour unlimited driving in qualli and no tire restrictions in qualli.
With unlimited driving for 1 hour, no one-lap wonders would make a difference anymore. Driver would have so much time to perfect their lap, the final order would just be the cars competitive order.

Tim.Wright

They've had unlimited qualifying in the past - obviously you don't remember it. Everyone sat in the garages while the Minardis cleaned, rubbered in and warmed up the track then they came out in the last 5min to do their lap. That's why the current format was such a step forward in terms of on track action as it ensured the top guys perform at least 3 runs as a minimum.

Now with engine and gearbox changes restricted theres even more reason to sit in the garage - theres no point wasting engine milage cleaning the track.
Not the engineer at Force India

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:Marca says F1 strategy group is considering if a sprint race in saturday may be posible in F1, moving qualification to that same morning. It quotes Joe Saward as the source

- No fuel restrictions

RED: HELL TO THE NO
BLUE : I could live with that
PINK: On first thought, i think i'd like the idea of making the battle for qually more spectacular by giving additional points to the 1st pos qually sitter. on second thought, that could lead into other 'tactical' benefits by simply finishing second in the main race, and accepting the second place because the difference in points will be nullified. thus, you can get P1 on qualy and P2 at race, and get the same points as the P1 finisher that did not qualify P1.

i'd encourage to tackle that problem by spreading points over the first 3 qually sitters. perhaps even the first 6.

Saturday : Q3 [ option 1 ]

P1 : 6 points
P2 : 4 points
P3 : 2 points

Saturday : Q3 [ option 2 ]

P1 : 6 points
P2 : 5 points
P3 : 4 points
P4 : 3 points
P5 : 2 points
P6 : 1 point

add to that fastest overall lap over Q3 : 2 poitns
add to that fastest lap op the race : 2 points

This would result in the following in race 1 :

P1 qually + P1 race + fastest lap qually + fastest lap race = 35 points
P2 qually + P2 race = 23 points

or

P1 qually + P2 race = 24 points + fastest lap Q = 26 points
P2 qually + P1 race = 23 points + fastest lap race = 25 points

it would also open up and improve the entire field from achieving something during qually or the race,
for example: a midfielder can now compete to achieve fastest overall lap during qually and get those 2 points.
it can also try and set the fastest lap of the race and get additional 2 points.

if he then qualifies and finishes 6th and gets those fastlaps: thats 13 points in the bag in a race weekend.
if the guy in the race that finished 5th but did not qualify top 6, and does not achieve fastest laps, he 'only' gets 10 points.

that means even though the driver finishes in front of him, pointswise, he's behind.

i'd say that opens up the possibilities by a whole bunch and would make it interesting for ANY driver [ including backfielders ] and worthwile to battle for points, as any means is now possible for any team to gain championship points.

it would make battle for q3 much more interesting even when there is a dominating untouchable team.

it would cause the potential of gainin a total of 160 points during the season if the driver were to get every race weekend P1 on qually, get the fastest overall lap during qually, and get the fastest lap during race, in a 20-race season.

for 2015 season that would result in the following [ taking into account fastest race lap, fastest qually lap and q3 qually position points]:

Hamilton = total 485 points
Rosberg = total 384 points

it would better represent Hamilton's dominance during the 2015 season

and on top of it all, make Monaco double-points for the race.

which would have resutled in:

Hamilton : 500 points total
Rosberg : 409 points total
vettel : 358 points total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

TAG

There would be way more in it for the fans should they instead do a Saturday kart race or like was pitched last year a Procar or IROC type support race with a single marque. Doesn't need to have any association with F1, just feature past & current F1 drivers.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:On first thought, i think i'd like the idea of making the battle for qually more spectacular by giving additional points to the 1st pos qually sitter...
I´m afraid you didn´t get it right, no points for qualification, the 7 points go for the saturday race winner, not for poleman

May I ask the reason you don´t like the saturday sprint race idea?

You don´t want to see cars on track pushing hard without worrying about fuel or tires?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i did understand, i just dont like to have a sprint race at all in F1.

offcourse i'd love to see F1 go all out. but saturday sprint races , or morning sprint races belong in lower formula or gp classes.
it does not belong in F1 and it should stay that way.
F1 should be a demanding game of stamina, endurance, skill and dare. though f1 today is not up to the level it once was,
a sprint race imho would only kill the sport even further. we have GP2 doing that already. there is zero need for that to be in F1.

thats why i suggest the qualy points system, as i do see some benefits and good points in the sprint race concept.

it would make drivers go all out during qually more worthwile as there is more to gain and more to lose.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Facts Only
Facts Only

Seems like a bad idea for getting new fans in. With the current format you only really need to watch the race to know whats going on. You see the starting grid which tells you what happened in Quali' and then watch the race, which is the only place to score championship points.

If you have a sprint race and points scoring quali' people need to watch all 3 to see all of the championship action. Imagine people tuning into the final race showdown only to find out that Hamilton/Vettel/Whoever won the championship yesterday morning when you were taking th kids/dogs/rubbish/missus to football/swimming/ballet/training/the tip/shops?

I dont think that there is anything wrong with the current format. The race is ~ the same length as a Football match and the quali' is entertainment for those who want to watch but doesn't exclude people who dont have the time.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

krisfx
krisfx

I fail to see how adding more racing is a bad thing, sounds like a good idea to me, especially considering ticket prices. I've been to a few GPs and Saturday can be boring.

mrluke
mrluke

I think the only shakeup qualy needs is for the top 10 from Q2 to be given one lap with free tyres one at a time. A proper top 10 shoot out where we can actually watch the whole lap.

Its always an anticlimax to sit watching the finish line for the last 3 minutes of qualy rather than watch the two pole contenders battle it out across the lap.

Yeah sure weather / debris whatever could play an impact but thats racing.

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:offcourse i'd love to see F1 go all out. but saturday sprint races , or morning sprint races belong in lower formula or gp classes.
it does not belong in F1 and it should stay that way.
F1 should be a demanding game of stamina, endurance, skill and dare.
Exactly, and lately it is just an endurance race, wich F1 had never been before. It has always had an endurance part, but while pushing to the limits or close to. Now they can´t get close to the limits because of crappy tires, so pure speed is irrelevant lately.... pure speed irrelevant in F1!. Crazy.
Manoah2u wrote: though f1 today is not up to the level it once was, a sprint race imho would only kill the sport even further. we have GP2 doing that already. there is zero need for that to be in F1.
And GP2 is much funnier than F1 in most GPs. F1 is becoming boring, sure you´ve hear/read many complains at the respect, so IMO it actually need something like this to spice up the series
Manoah2u wrote:it would make drivers go all out during qually more worthwile as there is more to gain and more to lose.
I don´t think any driver has any reserve on qualifying currently, only the usual to prevent a mistake wich would harm him a lot more than a slow lap, but they even can do more than one attempt, so there´s no reason to be conservative. That will not change with or without scoring points on qualifying

f1316
f1316

I personally don't like any of the ideas to 'improve' the weekend that I have heard so far - sprint races/mixed up grids etc.

I would suggest though that you could completely eradicate practice in favour of a non-championship race (as f1 used to have back in the day) and this would be teams' only chance to run ahead of quali. Financial incentives for winning/placing should be sufficient so that smaller teams gain a lot from winning and they could also be extended to be held away from race weekends - charging admission and creating a more financially viable form of testing.

Maybe that's also rubbish, haven't really thought it through - but really don't like the idea of a sprint race that carries any kind of championship implications .

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

f1316 wrote:I personally don't like any of the ideas to 'improve' the weekend that I have heard so far - sprint races/mixed up grids etc.
I agree the actual format of our weekend is fine.