New chicane to be added at Monza?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

djos

Re: The F1 news FUD topic!

Lol, are they serious?
"In downforce we trust"

Per
Per

I haven't read the original story in Gazzetta dello Sport, but this one is explaining what Gazzetta wrote: https://www.road2sport.com/2016/01/23/f ... formula-1/

According to this article the reason for this additional chicane is so that LMP1 and SuperBikes can go straight at the first chicane, which is a bit too tight for them now. Currently if you send them straight through the first chicane, they are too fast at Curva Grande to be safe.

The current layout of Curva Grande will not disappear, this chicane will just be the 'alternative route' for some classes. So basically F1 would have the choice to use the new layout, without first chicane, or the old one.

Facts Only

Per wrote:
According to this article the reason for this additional chicane is so that LMP1 and SuperBikes can go straight at the first chicane, which is a bit too tight for them now.
This sort of thing really naffs me off (not the post but the sentiment of certain people in Motorsport), if the chicane is too tight then the car hasn't been designed properly. Its not the tracks fault is it? Monza has been like this for years and on the calender long before the cars/bikes in question were designed. The cars should be designed for the competition they are entering, not the other way round.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Tim.Wright

Re: New chicane to be added at Monza?

I don't necessarily buy that as a reason eithet. There is so much room at the first chicane now that if they wanted to open it up they could.
Not the engineer at Force India

theblackangus

Tim.Wright wrote:I don't necessarily buy that as a reason eithet. There is so much room at the first chicane now that if they wanted to open it up they could.
+1

Why change another part of the track if the 1st chicane is the issue?
I always thought it was too tight anyway! Just fix the 1st chicane.

FW17

A nice uphill chicane.

Not a bad idea.

I wonder what the transition from the regular circuit to the new section would be like

Per
Per

Facts Only wrote:
Per wrote:
According to this article the reason for this additional chicane is so that LMP1 and SuperBikes can go straight at the first chicane, which is a bit too tight for them now.
This sort of thing really naffs me off (not the post but the sentiment of certain people in Motorsport), if the chicane is too tight then the car hasn't been designed properly. Its not the tracks fault is it? Monza has been like this for years and on the calender long before the cars/bikes in question were designed. The cars should be designed for the competition they are entering, not the other way round.
The concern about the current first chicane is not the technical challenge for car and driver, but the funnelling effect especially at the race start. In F1 it's already one of trickiest first corners of the season, and LMP1 cars are an even worse nightmare for wheel-to-wheel racing.

Just explaining the rationale behind this possible new chicane, not saying I agree with it.

Moose

Looks like about the worst possible place you could put a chicane for F1. A tight overtaking corner immediately after a high downforce curve doesn't typically work, because the overtaking cars wash out through the prior corner. Hopefully F1 uses the existing layout rather than the alternate one.

DiogoBrand

Well, they say they want to make this layout to eliminate the first chicane, and the new chicane seems so close to what is now the second that they'd probably be able to go straight on that one too, so they'd actually be turning two chicanes into one, which would be a good thing. In general I'd still prefer the current layout, mainly because they'd be eliminating the fastest turn in the circuit, but if this chicane means they'd be eliminating the other two it wouldn't seem that bad.

Vasconia

Per wrote:I haven't read the original story in Gazzetta dello Sport, but this one is explaining what Gazzetta wrote: https://www.road2sport.com/2016/01/23/f ... formula-1/

According to this article the reason for this additional chicane is so that LMP1 and SuperBikes can go straight at the first chicane, which is a bit too tight for them now. Currently if you send them straight through the first chicane, they are too fast at Curva Grande to be safe.

The current layout of Curva Grande will not disappear, this chicane will just be the 'alternative route' for some classes. So basically F1 would have the choice to use the new layout, without first chicane, or the old one.
Well, it doesnt sound so bad. I mean, if drivers can try both and decide, with some common sense , which one is better it could be interesting. But common sense is a treasure In F1 those days... :roll:

strad

The cars should be designed for the competition they are entering, not the other way round.
Couldn't agree with the sentiment any more.
For far to many years the constructors have demanded changes to tracks to suit their cars rather than building cars to handle the tracks they have.
BTW I dislike the idea of this new chicane. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

langwadt

Vasconia wrote:
Per wrote:I haven't read the original story in Gazzetta dello Sport, but this one is explaining what Gazzetta wrote: https://www.road2sport.com/2016/01/23/f ... formula-1/

Well, it doesnt sound so bad. I mean, if drivers can try both and decide, with some common sense , which one is better it could be interesting. But common sense is a treasure In F1 those days... :roll:

mandatory joker laps in f1? . . .

Cold Fussion

Obviously it makes far too much sense to address the problem of the first chicane being too tight (so long as you ignore the illogical stance of cars not being designed for circuits they intend to race at) and to instead install another chicane arbitrarily. I would actually be in favour of the first chicane being re-profiled, perhaps to be more similar to the original first chicane at Monza, or the old bus stop at Spa.

strad

or take it out entirely. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss