F1 Camera Streaming Technology

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AdvancedF1

F1 Camera Streaming Technology

Hi guys

I've got a project whereby I need to mount cameras on A1 racecars and to be honest struggling quite a bit in getting the information to have this implemented.

First off, does anyone know a company that supply and have the necessary knowledge and expertise for this type of implementation?

Secondly, to describe the current scenario - I need to mount two cameras on the racecar whereby it needs to transmit the video footage and telemetry wirelessly to a receiver of some sort. I would assume that sector radios to be installed across the track so the internal transmitter within the car can send the data / footage to them, and from there to the end point devices to have it viewed on demand and live. Other factors I'm concerned about are the following:

* Cameras - Analog or IP?
* DVR or switch to be installed in the racecar? Also, the option chosen needs to have the correct power output so it can be powered by the car.
* What type of transmitter / radio to be used to send out the data.

Any advice / suggestions as to how and what type of technology to be used would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

tinhouse

Re: F1 Camera Streaming Technology

AdvancedF1 wrote:Hi guys

I've got a project whereby I need to mount cameras on A1 racecars and to be honest struggling quite a bit in getting the information to have this implemented.

First off, does anyone know a company that supply and have the necessary knowledge and expertise for this type of implementation?

Regards
Extreme Facilities do this kind of stuff: http://www.extremefacilities.com/

They do hire or sales depending what you need.

<Caveat: I've worked with them on other types of filming but not car-mounted so I can't recommend them for that from personal experience, but they have a great reputation for it.>

strad

Go-Pro is the go to camera of choice. With all kinds of mounts they are what guys like Ken Block use as well as many of the exhibitions runs by F1 teams.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

About video transmision..... HD?

Then Amimon Connex, or even Connex Mini (new, not released yet) is your best choice.

There are more digital video trasnmitters wich support 1080 60p, but not without lag at an affordable price. It also provides a serial link wich could be used for telemetry

About latency, this vtx have zero latency, but the camera itself will have some, and the display you use to watch the image will probably have some too

About cameras, gopro is great for the size, but there are much smaller cameras if you need it.

BTW, I have no relation with Amimon, but I have a drone I use for aerial filming, and Connex is one of the first items on my wish list.

Cold Fussion

If you go with something like a gopro then you will need a good vibration damping mount otherwise your image will be a jello mess.