Drivers helmets 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Morteza

Re: Drivers helmets 2016

Rosberg again with Bell helmets. I don't know why keeps switching between Schuberth and Bell
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Jolyon Palmer's helmet for British GP

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

flickerf1

Morteza wrote:Rosberg again with Bell helmets. I don't know why keeps switching between Schuberth and Bell
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmxXLJBWcAAg0qB.jpg
I read somewhere that he signed a contract with Bell a week or two ago.
The Wicked + The Divine.

Jolle

flickerf1 wrote:
Morteza wrote:Rosberg again with Bell helmets. I don't know why keeps switching between Schuberth and Bell
I read somewhere that he signed a contract with Bell a week or two ago.
Well... Can't stay behind on Lewis... :P

But looks like Bell has the edge on helmets right now, more and more drivers going from Arai/Schubert to Bell. The helmet manufactures don't change their lineup so often, so when one does, it's probably quite a big step in development. Who knows, when Arai and Schubert come with new models the coming years, they all switch again. It's a whole lot different then sneaker deals from footballers or basketball players.

Scuderia1967

Santino Ferrucci's (what an amazing name!) lid

Last edited by Scuderia1967 on 13 Jul 2016, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

ESPImperium

Apparently it is to do with the fact that the Schuberth ones perform poorly in the rain as they mist up more, however the Bell ones are also great performers in the wet and rarely mist. Arai have the anti mist heated visor, Vettel uses that visor when its a wet race. I have also heard that the Bell ones are also the lightest ones on the market right now by quite a few grammes when painted, and Rosberg has a almost bare look and will save more weight with that look.

However there could be another reason for the switch, aerodynamic performance the air intake. Seemingly McLaren said there was as much as a 5% difference in air volume going into Alonsos car to Buttons car last year when Alonso was in his final year of Schuberth to the Arai that Button was using. In other words, Button was getting as much as 5% more air volume to Alonso last year, now Alonso has switched back to Arai he is on the same footing there. Thats why Ferrari liked both drivers to be with Schuberth as it meant the aero inside air intake above the drivers head was consistent.

If you look down the grid as it is, there is a theme of helmets:

Mercedes: Bell/Bell
Ferrari: Arai/Bell
Red Bull: Arai/Arai
Williams: Stilo/Schuberth
Force india: Schuberth/Schuberth
McLaren: Arai/Arai
Toro Rosso: Arai/Arai
Haas: Bell/Bell
Renault: Arai/Stilo
Manor: Arai/Arai
Sauber: Bell/Stilo

Most of the top teams are organised and try to get drivers using the same helmet. Some of the others allow drivers to use what they want as its revenue stream for them, as some drivers get paid €100,000 a year with a supply of up to 25 helmets a year for the top drivers (Vettel) and as many as 6-10 helmets for the ones further down the grid.

Scuderia1967

ESPImperium wrote:
Apparently it is to do with the fact that the Schuberth ones perform poorly in the rain as they mist up more, however the Bell ones are also great performers in the wet and rarely mist. Arai have the anti mist heated visor, Vettel uses that visor when its a wet race. I have also heard that the Bell ones are also the lightest ones on the market right now by quite a few grammes when painted, and Rosberg has a almost bare look and will save more weight with that look.

However there could be another reason for the switch, aerodynamic performance the air intake. Seemingly McLaren said there was as much as a 5% difference in air volume going into Alonsos car to Buttons car last year when Alonso was in his final year of Schuberth to the Arai that Button was using. In other words, Button was getting as much as 5% more air volume to Alonso last year, now Alonso has switched back to Arai he is on the same footing there. Thats why Ferrari liked both drivers to be with Schuberth as it meant the aero inside air intake above the drivers head was consistent.

Most of the top teams are organised and try to get drivers using the same helmet. Some of the others allow drivers to use what they want as its revenue stream for them, as some drivers get paid €100,000 a year with a supply of up to 25 helmets a year for the top drivers (Vettel) and as many as 6-10 helmets for the ones further down the grid.
At the end of the day, it all comes to sponsorship: Ferrari has a Bell deal since last year, but Vetell is allowed to use his traditional Arai lid. Aerodynamics are way below in the priorities list ;)

flickerf1

ESPImperium wrote:

K-Mag uses a Bell helmet. :)
The Wicked + The Divine.

ChrisDanger

Rosberg for his home GP.

Click on image for bigger version.

Cuky

Vettel has new helmet too. Same design as he had in all races this season, but this time with green details

domh245

So is Nico staying with Bell then?

Jolle

domh245 wrote:So is Nico staying with Bell then?
Not very German of him :lol: but yes, it appears so. I do like this design much more then his regular one (and I'm not even German).

Most helmet designers these days forgot the "less is more" philosophy, especially at 320kph.

gary123

Nico ditched also JMD design, this one is painted by Bell Racing Eu.

ChrisDanger

Another home GP special for the new kid on the block.

Click for hi-res.

gary123

Bell Helmets owns the F1 grid this year. :)