2016 Engine sound Improvement

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

For 2016, the wastegate exhaust has been separated from the main exhaust pipe in a bid to increase the volume of engine sound. It should be an increase in loudness of 12% according to Pat Symmonds. From the testing videos, I for one can't detect the increase in loudness of the sound for obvious reasons, but for sure the sounds are better in quality.

My ears detect more throatiness, more rasp, and for good measure, a few farts and fizzles into the turns. Hopefully someone trackside (Scarbs?) or even someone at home with the requisite software can analyse for us what is the base sound from the main pipes and what is from the wastegate.

Here is the Ferrari on day one. What do you guys think?

Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 22 Feb 2016, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Gridlock

Re: 2016 Engine sound Improvment

I think they should work out how let them rev to 15K :roll:

Pitlane reporting has the Honda as the loudest, which perhaps isn't surprising given the difference in their noise last year.

dmjunqueira

Re: 2016 Engine sound Improvement

From the few videos I saw, only McLaren sounds louder...But as rumored on Honda Power Unit thread, they are running with a "B-spec" 2015 engine. So it's hard to evaluate if the wastegate exhausts really serve to the sound increase purpose. I think so.

bhall II
bhall II

PlatinumZealot wrote:It should be an increase in loudness of 12% according to Pat Symmonds. From the testing videos, I for one can't detect the increase in loudness of the sound...
It's doubtful anyone will hear a difference if the change is only 12% louder. That's maybe 1 dB.

DiogoBrand

I really doubt we can expect those engines to get much louder than this. You have to remember that the noisier the engine, the more energy it must be wasting, and if even during the 80's the turbos weren't that loud, now that the engines are much more efficient energy-wise you can't expect more noise than they're producing as it is.

Postmoe

bhall II wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:It should be an increase in loudness of 12% according to Pat Symmonds. From the testing videos, I for one can't detect the increase in loudness of the sound...
It's doubtful anyone will hear a difference if the change is only 12% louder. That's maybe 1 dB.
Oh, but audiophiles can.

strad

Flatulent.. sucks even worse.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Add six more cylinders and drop the turbo and electric bollocks and then let's chat..

PlatinumZealot

After more listening... the sound is a bit better but it still doesn't make my spine tingle like the old NA engines.

bauc

PlatinumZealot wrote:After more listening... the sound is a bit better but it still doesn't make my spine tingle like the old NA engines.
Agreed, and we kinda get used to this type of sound which is the most sad part of it :(
Π€ΠΎΡ€ΠΌΡƒΠ»Π° 1 Π½Π° МакСдонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Italiano
Italiano

There is none and there will be none.

End of pointless thread.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

PlatinumZealot

Such a pointless post and we haven't even had a qualifying session yet. Why bother post if you have nothing to add?

Anywhoo...took a post from the testing thread. The Mercedes Engine has a nice pitch to it. Still nothing amazing but it's better than last years. Honda is God awful.
gandharva wrote:

Italiano
Italiano

PlatinumZealot wrote:Such a pointless post and we haven't even had a qualifying session yet. Why bother post if you have nothing to add?
Since this thread is mostly on life support or to just say it "dead" there is obviously no point in beating a dead horse.

As long as there is a fuel flow limit and such a low rpm limit, there will be no good sounds to hear. The V6 CAN sound very good, just listen to hillclimb Alfa Romeos.

Also there is very, very little difference this year compared to 2015. Everyone attending testing said so. So yes. There really is nothing good to add.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Ozan
Ozan

there's some burring sound added and off throttle blowing but not much improvement.

PlatinumZealot

A very nice comparison video of 2015 and 2016 engine sounds. You can increase the quality to 720p 50fps if you wish: