2016 Engine sound Improvement

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ME4ME

Re: 2016 Engine sound Improvement

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analy ... ow-676431/
Williams technical chief Pat Symonds added: "I am not sure. It is a very subjective thing. I think that is the trouble. We have got a 2015 car running out there, haven't we? Can you pick it up? I couldn't."

djos

Ok so I do think the sound has improved, not dramatically but enough to notice.

I'm hoping I can go to the Melbourne GP in March on at least one of the days with the company I work for, so it'll be interesting to hear then in person.
"In downforce we trust"

ARF1
ARF1

The only thing they changed was to separate the wastegate exhaust from the main exhaust, with it's own exit(s) (i.e. a screamer pipe). It would be noticeably louder when the wastegate is open, as the exhaust travelling through the wastegate doesn't get worked by the turbine (energy extracted).

But if your wastegate is opening, it means your MGU-H is not working, or not working properly. The MGU-H controls the compressor speed and the wastegate ideally never opens (it's just there incase the MGU-H fails/doesn't work/overheats etc). It's the MGU-H that extracts excess energy from the turbine and thereby controls compressor speed (and thus boost pressure, airflow etc.).

The only difference now is that the wastegate exhaust pipe doesn't act like an expansion silencer, as it's separated from the turbine exhaust pipe. This is a very minor change, hence the lack of detectable sound increase.

PlatinumZealot

In qualifying mode when they "free load" the PU, the MGU_H is not harvesting and they open the wastegate to release back pressure from the engine. Only then will the true difference be heard.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

horse

Lawrence Barretto wrote: I spent some time at the pit lane exit this morning and the cars are noticeably louder. The majority of people around me put their fingers in their ears as the cars passed down the pit straight. I don't think I ever saw that happen last season.
Barcelona second F1 test day one
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

djos

PlatinumZealot wrote: Only then will the true difference be heard.
Not true, last year most teams used a single large wastegate pipe into the exhaust like below, AIUI this acted as a resonator/muffler for the exhaust itself. Removing this makes the PU louder regardless of if the wategate is active or not.

"In downforce we trust"

ARF1
ARF1

djos wrote:
Not true, last year most teams used a single large wastegate pipe into the exhaust like below, AIUI this acted as a resonator/muffler for the exhaust itself. Removing this makes the PU louder regardless of if the wategate is active or not.

http://i.imgur.com/VJIiUID.jpg
It does, but it's not a huge improvement. I imagine the teams designed the connection of the wastegate and the main exhaust to minimize expansion of the main exhaust gases (which is what causes less noise), as that is detrimental to exhaust flow. So the effect of separating them is minimal. The real change will be when the wastegate opens, which it only does sporadically (when the MGU-H is fully charged).

PlatinumZealot

djos wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/VJIiUID.jpg
Still will make a difference.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Radley
Radley

The exhaust pipe is still out in "free air". It doesn't have a "boundary" to bounce off of, which would make it louder .

Edax
Edax

Radley wrote:The exhaust pipe is still out in "free air". It doesn't have a "boundary" to bounce off of, which would make it louder .
I am a noob when it comes comes to sound, so I gladly be educated. I noticed that the noise level of the current cars depends a lot on your position respective to the car. You barely hear them except when you're facing the rear of the car and then the sound is ( for me ) actually OK.

Would the sound experience improve if we would go to the old arrangement, two exhausts to the side?

I can imagine that if you improve on the directionality of the sound you would be able to hear more cars at the same time and over a wider stretch of the track.

MattyT
MattyT

Can't wait to hear the difference!

I've been to Singapore in '14 and '15 and there was a definite difference between the two years, most obviously noticeable between the '15 and '14 spec Ferrari engine (comparing Marussia vs Ferrari).

I do have to say though the cars sound fine around Singapore when running between the buildings, but out by the bay they are very quiet. I do however not miss having to wear ear protection, so the lower volume does actually make for a more enjoyable experience on track. I remember being in Melbourne in '12 and sitting on the front straight, you couldn't talk to anyone for the whole GP.