New qualifying format...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316

New qualifying format...

I don't know if this is discussed elsewhere, if so please feel free to merge.

But anyway:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/ ... g-overhaul

I think this sounds completely awful. Really don't know why they have to keep tinkering - particularly since it's always with the wrong things.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with qualifying that wouldn't be fixed if the cars were just close on outright performance. Doing this makes no difference to the competitive aspect whatsoever, but just continues down a road of sideshow 'spectacle' for those of short attention spans.

hemichromis

Re: New qualifying format...

That will only make it less interesting!

Don't we all enjoy when 3 cars are close to the drop zone chequered flag is out and they are all rushing to improve the lap time?

dans79

No wonder I hate the average fan so much, they have the attention span and intelligence of a gnat, so crap like this is thought up to keep them happy/engaged.
197 104 103 7

ME4ME

I like the proposal. It's not artificial like reversed grids, but still offers a greater possibility for front runners to be caught out, which will make the race more interesting. I think the format is worth a try.

bonjon1979

I've no real qualms with it, I just don't expect it to make too much difference. The frontrunners are still going to go out and set a time that sees them safely through the first danger times so they're not the last to be dropped out. Then in Q3 everyone will do a first run on new tyres, come in and then go again. I like the idea that it forces people to go out and set a time in Q3 and it's interesting that if you make a big cock up and don't set a time, you pay the price. It'll certainly make wet qualifying more interesting as teams will be forced to go out, even if they think it's too wet to do so.

wesley123

I don't see the point of this, the grid order is fairly solid, thus the dropout will be fairly similar as it is now. Plus, teams wont attempt a quicker lap because they know it will probably only give them 1 or 2 grid positions, just to eat through a set of tires and push an engine/gearbox that has to last a few races.

It changes nothing and makes the whole idea(which essentially just comes out to be exactly the same as it is now, you just know a few drop outs a little quicker) more complicated as you'll have to keep up with a new drop out every 90 secs.

I don't really get this, nor the current format. It all sounds so fun on paper, but it constantly forgets one thing: It is being presented to(and by) competitive teams that will simply just play the rules, because that is what teams do in a competitive environment.
dans79 wrote:No wonder I hate the average fan so much, they have the attention span and intelligence of a gnat, so crap like this is thought up to keep them happy/engaged.
And that is why communities like these exist.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

horse

It might add some more randomness just from the confusion. There will be a massive rush to get out in the first few minutes of the session and then, once the dropouts start happening, slowing down cars everywhere. I hope they are going to give the stewards a raise.

I do wonder what peoples strategies will be? Do you keep lapping or just play it like before. This could be a play just to make sure Mercedes come out of the garage twice per session (maybe).
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

CBeck113

I'm soooooo glad that they're putting so much effort into simplifying the sport, since that's been the major complaint since the new formula was introduced....and this qualifying format is soooooo much clearer for "casual" viewers.... /sarcasm, the F&$ktards
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

enckboaz

horse wrote:It might add some more randomness just from the confusion. There will be a massive rush to get out in the first few minutes of the session and then, once the dropouts start happening, slowing down cars everywhere. I hope they are going to give the stewards a raise.

I do wonder what peoples strategies will be? Do you keep lapping or just play it like before. This could be a play just to make sure Mercedes come out of the garage twice per session (maybe).
This
I think this is a mess to understand Also considering that we have a new rule on the tires.. I immagine an over complicated strategy in quali now... Am i wrong?

Hairp1n

I cannot see any good reason why it should be done. Like... Why add more circus like stuff to this sport? Why mess with something I never heard anyone complain about? Why use artificial spectacle enhancers like DRS? Why not bring back the V8s as the oldman said and throw away millions of dollars to the trash because two teams owned buy a energetic beverage company didn't get the dominant engine? Sorry for the rant but this makes me really annoyed. The only thing Bernie could say that would make me happy would be a bigger and better distribution of the money through all teams because this sport without the smaller teams wouldn't surely be the same or even be profitable.

bhall II

I say, --- the bullshit. Make the drivers joust one another to determine the starting grid!

strad

re-arranging the deck chairs on a sinking ship. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Gatecrasher

If I understand the new rule, the intent is that you will never have an empty track which may be good for TV. I just don't see that the general public viewers will enjoy keeping track of what is going on. Nobody enjoys change, I will wait to see how it actually works before skipping just to the races.

strad

Well according to my better half it will be more exciting. I think she really just means more busy. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Robbobnob

From a technical point of view, I don't believe this is going to provide more competition, rather make it more of a balancing act.

Firstly Tires; the rubber is often only good for 1 quick lap, meaning that there is a disadvantage for doing two back to back laps, as you have to carry more fuel weight on the first lap, and the second lap the tire is likely to expire (thermally degrade). Couple this tendancy with the qualifying engine modes, (No harvesting, and using the MGU-H to free spool the turbo to reduce lag, waste-gate open to provide less back pressure and MGU-K Torque assist) the cars are limited to a finite distance of qualifying mode before they need to recharge.
Some teams who struggle to get the tires in the zone do a slow out lap and slowly bring the tire on, where as others typically over heat the tires and have one lap to get it right, but they are still limited but the MGU assist.

Couple this with the elimination at certain time points, we are going to see a premium for track position during those segments, and thus we are going to see a highler likelyhood of a Manor obstructing a Ferrari or a Haas obstructing a Mercedes, it will become more of a lottery. Faster teams are likely to put bankers in early on fresh sets of rubber and the lower end teams are going to duke it out.

All being said and done, I dont think its actually going to stop the top order teams putting their car on poll, particularly if they have a good margin over the field. Might jazz up the mid field, and the back markers might strike hot more often, though if they are still 2-4 seconds off the pace, its highly unlikely.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna