New qualifying format...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Re: New qualifying format...

mikeerfol wrote:Good, with FIA you never know until the last moment :lol:
Better to wait until Q3 is finished.

Vasconia

Juzh wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:Good, with FIA you never know until the last moment :lol:
Better to wait until Q3 is finished.
Will the changes be made for this race or Barcelona?

I cannot wait to see a real qualy again!! sure Mercedes will be the fatest ones but we will see a more accurate image of each teams pure speed.

Thunder

Vasconia wrote: Will the changes be made for this race or Barcelona?
China
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Vasconia

Thunders wrote:
Vasconia wrote: Will the changes be made for this race or Barcelona?
China
Thanks!! I am even more excited now! :D

nevill3

Return to OLD qualifying format...

There we have it, the old qualifying format in the title :wink:
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

siskue2005

was it just me, or was the Q1 just boring with the old format???

edit: typo
Last edited by siskue2005 on 16 Apr 2016, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

Henk

siskue2005 wrote:was it just me, was the Q1 was just boring with the old format???
Q2 and Q3 also. The first laps in any session don't matter any more. Also Q1 and Q2 laps by the Ferrari or Merc don't matter at all. The first 10 minutes of every session you can easily go make that cup of tea Brundle was talking about in Australia.

siskue2005

yeah i didnt feel the urgency with which they used to lap in knock-out session
and the top cars are back to using slower tyre compound for Q1 and surprisingly Q2 also

jknights

I think that a reverse grid thought of winner to the back would make for a best solution. Sometimes the current system is just too predictable. Also by having a reverse grid would definitely make for more overtakes and the drivers have to drive flat out. Races with Mercedes on the front of the grid are processional.

There could also be a replacement of the current qualifying session to have a fastest lap session. This would be unlimited and have a points scoring system like races. The aim of this would be to allow drivers to drive unlimited by fuel and tyre use to genuinely produce the fastest possible lap.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

I sort of begin to think about the Formula Rookie qualifying rules... I think there was something about your two fastest qualifying laps determine your starting position for the two races that follow.

What about if qualifying was a sort of 20 lap shoot out to the line of no pit stops? Then, perhaps, your 5-10 fastest laps would be averaged together to determine your main start position for the main event in a reverse order? Points could be awarded for position finished in both races, but within the qualifying event, perhaps additional 3, 2 and 1 point bonus for the top 3 fastest lap times or something; to give some sort of an incentive to not just have teams "coast" round the track. A "107%" type of rule could be imposed based on the track record.

Of course I could be missing something fundamental here :mrgreen:
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

gkendell64

I have an idea for qualifying although I'm OK with current form. If Bernie and Toto are adamant about trying to shake up the order and since most fans agree that reverse grid is not the way to go here's my idea. Keep the Q1 and Q2 the same with slowest drivers dropped. For Q3, when the top 10 is decided you then have a lottery. Using the current point system for final placing in a race, the fastest lap time would have a 25% chance of getting pole position. Second an 18% chance of pole, third a 12% chance and so on.
A reverse grid will give no incentive to set the fastest lap, as the driver would be at the back. With a weighted lottery the fastest lap would on most occasions retain pole but for a few races there might be a shake up in the order. All drivers would still try hard to set the fastest lap to get the best odds.
This idea is along the lines of NHL hockey. They have a lottery for draft picks based on where you finish in regular season. Lowest team gets best odds for first pick. This lottery was put in place when teams would tank and try to finish last to guarantee first pick if they didn't make the playoffs.

gkendell64

With reference to reverse grid..
What driver would waste tires to set fast lap and start at back of grid with tire disadvantage. Slow lap and pole. What am I missing here

gkendell64

With reference to reverse grid..
What driver would waste tires to set fast lap and start at back of grid with tire disadvantage. Slow lap and pole. What am I missing here

strad

It's called sand bagging and you can have rules against it.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

siskue2005

how can u police it?