Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

turbof1 wrote:There's something about this that gives me a smile, a smile which has not been for a while in F1. Does anybody know why?

The why is that we have something new in the sport, something which opens doors. We start dreaming about the possibilities, like we used to in F1.

:D
Too true! =D>

Btw it occurs to me that one advantage of the aeroscreen is going to be a less cramped cockpit for the drivers, especially around the steering wheel where they currently have the smallest possible cutouts that only just allow the drivers hands to miss the cockpit sides when he's turning the steering wheel.
"In downforce we trust"

ringo

What would be cool is if the drivers can now wear open faced helmets since the windscreen will provide frontal protection.
For Sure!!

djos

They would still risk getting dust and debris in their eyes in a crash so not going to happen ringo.
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

Part 2 coming soon

Chuckjr

If they can figure a way to keep it clean, it's not a bad looking design. =D> Certainly better than the nasty appendage they attached to the Ferrari. :shock:

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... ot_shield/

Hamilton is sour on it.
"That screen looks like something from a, I mean jeez, it looks so bad. It looks like a bloody shield from the policeman, the riot shields, it's like a bloody riot shield." #-o
Watching F1 since 1986.

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

FrukostScones

what have they done :cry:

RIP F1
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

WaikeCU

djos

From front on it does look a little odd but the other angles look good imo.

That test is impressive, almost no deformation at all compared with the ugly halo.
"In downforce we trust"

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

zac510

I don't mind it. It'd be nice if it could taper a bit at the sides of the driver's helmet, but a final, integrated design might resolve that.

One thing (which is probably just a problem for me), even with the coloured stripes on the camera and helmet differences I struggle to tell the drivers apart. With this windshield we can barely see the helmet at all. It'd be great if they loosened up the livery regulations a bit so that each team's car could have a slightly more varied livery and this would make up for not being able to see the helmet very well. For example Red Bull could reverse the yellow and red on each driver's car.
No good turn goes unpunished.

stefan_

Looks better than the halo, but it is still a piece of crap.

Mind my harsh language, but I truly believe that the essence of F1 is open wheels and open cockpits racecars that are driven by men who understand danger and who know what they are signing up to when they decide to be racing drivers. We can see where the level of safety has reached by looking at Alonso's crash, and nowdays a fatality or a serious injury is a freak accident, something that would happen in one-out-of many many chances due to misfortunate elements combined in one moment.

I think other issues are more urgent and need to be adressed, because Formula 1 nowdays is sick. Very sick.

I have raced go-karts for 7 years - I had wheels in my face/head, other racers crash into me and climb on me, spin me, throw me in walls at various speeds. It was dangerous, I could have sustained serious injuries, but it was damn fun and I'll do it all over again if I had the chance.

Keep this in mind:

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

cramr

zac510 wrote:
One thing (which is probably just a problem for me), even with the coloured stripes on the camera and helmet differences I struggle to tell the drivers apart. With this windshield we can barely see the helmet at all. It'd be great if they loosened up the livery regulations a bit so that each team's car could have a slightly more varied livery and this would make up for not being able to see the helmet very well. For example Red Bull could reverse the yellow and red on each driver's car.
Agree, maybe they can allow to paint the top black stripe of the windshield in different colors each drives or something

cramr

mmm not sure about that. Of being like you show the current RBR car would have had some important engine problems (cooling and air intake) during the lap he did