Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
cramr

Re: Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

djos wrote:They would still risk getting dust and debris in their eyes in a crash so not going to happen ringo.
True, even in LMP (completely closed cockpit) they all wear fully closed helmets

WaikeCU

I think the idea is alright, but the aeroscreen atm is a bit too high. It would be better aesthetically if the height of the aeroscreen would be similar height as the stepped headrest, but then it doesn't cover the full front of the driver's head.

zac510

WaikeCU wrote:I think the idea is alright, but the aeroscreen atm is a bit too high. It would be better aesthetically if the height of the aeroscreen would be similar height as the stepped headrest, but then it doesn't cover the full front of the driver's head.
I think they are concerned about visibility where the track is undulating, eg Spa and the driver has to look upwards from his seating position.
No good turn goes unpunished.

dobbster71

Although I'm personally against F1 going down this route I have to admit that this solution is aesthetically more pleasing than the halo, in my opinion. Good job by RB to come up with an alternative solution. Would be good to hear views from the drivers perspective.
If nothing else, I can imagine Indycar going down this route. The "fighter cockpit" style would suit that series.
Last edited by dobbster71 on 29 Apr 2016, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

Webber2011

I like it a lot more than anything else that's been presented so far.

Hamilton's "riot shield" comment is valid to me though, because it does look a little like one.

The first thing that I noticed was the way the screen is held to the frame.
Great big bolts that really stand out, and in my mind make it look quite primitive compared to the rest of a F1 car.
Even something as simple as having those bolts coloured black would be much more pleasing to the eye.

I know this is a very small detail, but when I picture it, I feel it would make a big difference.

Steven
Owner

Obviously this is just a prototype so see how it looks on the camera, and how it affects visibility.

The height of the screen can probably not be reduced if you can't to prevent all flying objects from hitting the helmet.
I would however think that it's possible to make the frame a little different so that it would impact driver visibility even less.

The remaining questions for me are still dirt, and perhaps solar glare.

I would also combine the introduction of this system with a minimum size car number, given that we'll see the helmets even less.
Perhaps the frame could be coloured with driver helmet colours to improve recognition as well.

notsofast

F1Tec hnical wrote:Red Bull's Ricciardo slotted in just behind after the team removed the windscreen and reverted the car to its race specification.
Apparently the windscreen has enough of an impact on performance that RBR didn't want to finish FP1 with it. Any thoughts on whether constructors could redesign parts of the car to get around the performance impact? Or will everyone simply need to accept that cars with windscreens will be slower?

notsofast

Steven wrote:I would also combine the introduction of this system with a minimum size car number, given that we'll see the helmets even less.
Perhaps the frame could be coloured with driver helmet colours to improve recognition as well.
Or, relax the rules and give sponsors the ability to sponsor just a single car if they want to.

Thunder

@notsofast: According to Red Bull it affected Cooling and fresh Air Feed to the Engine to much as to run it for the whole FP1. Cars are just not designed for it yet.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Webber2011

Thunders wrote:@notsofast: According to Red Bull it affected Cooling and fresh Air Feed to the Engine to much as to run it for the whole FP1. Cars are just not designed for it yet.
Red Bull also said well in advance that they would only run it for the instal lap.

Does anyone know how many laps they did with it ?
I missed the first half of Practice..

turbof1

Some thoughts put in simple illustrations:

-First off, the issue with airflow to the airbox in the roll hoop. This might be solvable by adding vortex generators on top of the screen, which for me is the least intrusive solution:

Other solutions might require extensive changes in the regulations. You could raise the roll hoop and airbox, you could split the airbox and put them more sideways,... .

-Second, there is some criticism to why the aeroscreen is that high. But I think it's logical:
The image shows a truly worse case scenario where a loose wheel -aligned perfectly with the longitudal axis of the car- penetrates the cockpit. Given this axis, this is the deepest a wheel could reach with the aeroscreen. As one can, see it still overlaps with the head, so it's not a perfect solution. However, probability of this scenario is very low, and you can definitely see if the wheel hits the car a bit more to the right or left, the tyre will not come into contact with the head. Of course, the tyre could from a different angle and a different axis from where there are more probabilities for the tyre to reach the head. Still, it's a massive improvement.

The thought behind is to avoid situations like these:

An aeroscreen like the Red Bull, coupled with the bigger head protection bulges aside the driver's head, would more then likely have deflected that tyre away from Henry's head.
#AeroFrodo

stefan_

It would be nice if we can give pertinent oppinions about not agreeing with someone rather than a blank, negative vote.

But that's the level, I understand.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

djos

stefan_ wrote:It would be nice if we can give pertinent oppinions about not agreeing with someone rather than a blank, negative vote.

But that's the level, I understand.
What are you talking about? There isn't a single negative vote in the last 4 pages.
"In downforce we trust"

turbof1

I took care of that. Friendly reminder btw that everybody is entitled to a constructive opinion. Stefan's opinion was constructive, so no reason to use the voting system as a dislike button.
#AeroFrodo

f1316

Webber2011 wrote:I like it a lot more than anything else that's been presented so far.

Hamilton's "riot shield" comment is valid to me though, because it does look a little like one.

The first thing that I noticed was the way the screen is held to the frame.
Great big bolts that really stand out, and in my mind make it look quite primitive compared to the rest of a F1 car.
Even something as simple as having those bolts coloured black would be much more pleasing to the eye.

I know this is a very small detail, but when I picture it, I feel it would make a big difference.
Hamilton said in the same article (apparently) that a complete fighter style closed cockpit would be better but the halo was no good because Alonso couldn't have got out of his car.

Hello? Not so much with the consistency, that one