Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
namao
namao

Re: Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Thunders wrote:
namao wrote:https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4698797056

With this halo, drivers will not make Eau Rouge or Mónaco. A shame.
And why would that be? Visibility has already been tested.

hollus

Come on, that pic is a terrible hack-job. It put the halo almost at eye level, when it is not.
Rivals, not enemies.

Thunder

Really? Not Even a real Photo? Tray harder please.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Sevach
Sevach

They said version 2 would be streamlined and look better... but it looks the same to me honestly.

I guess it can save someone from something like a nosecone (can it deflect a bouncing tire?), smaller objects still a big problem.

namao
namao

hollus wrote:Come on, that pic is a terrible hack-job. It put the halo almost at eye level, when it is not.
Thunders wrote:Really? Not Even a real Photo? Tray harder please.
(So nice the way you debate with others user with that tone, I'm only expressing my opinion respectfully). Here it is.

Cuky

that is again not the real photo. You can clearly see white and red reflections on the HALO.

namao
namao

Cuky wrote:that is again not the real photo. You can clearly see white and red reflections on the HALO.
Let's try this one. We can see the "idea". I still think that with the halo will be very difficult and dangerous Eau Rouge or Monaco. In my opinion the solution for safety would be aeroscreen or nothing.

Jolle
Jolle

namao wrote:
Cuky wrote:that is again not the real photo. You can clearly see white and red reflections on the HALO.
Let's try this one. We can see the "idea". I still think that with the halo will be very difficult and dangerous Eau Rouge or Monaco. In my opinion the solution for safety would be aeroscreen or nothing.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcndzUCXEAAojWA.jpg
I think these photoshop efforts are nice, but forgetting a few key things. A driver already looks at the track trough a letterbox, his helmet with a "sun strip". They prob won't even see the upper ring of the Halo and the front bit falls away because of stereo view.

namao
namao

Jolle wrote:
namao wrote:
I think these photoshop efforts are nice, but forgetting a few key things. A driver already looks at the track trough a letterbox, his helmet with a "sun strip". They prob won't even see the upper ring of the Halo and the front bit falls away because of stereo view.
Last one is not photoshop. Hope with the new evolution drivers can get more visibility.

Jolle
Jolle

namao wrote:
Jolle wrote:
namao wrote:
Last one is not photoshop. Hope with the new evolution drivers can get more visibility.
Cool pic then! But that's not the point, although it's visible on pics, or renders, it's outside of the divers vision.

Cuky

namao wrote:
Jolle wrote:
namao wrote:
The last one is a photoshop too. First, you can see that there is no shadow at all on the car or steering wheel coming from HALO even though sun is in front (as evidenced by shadow under the corner marker on the right and shadow from the right rear view mirror just on the edge of the picture (not the reflection on the cockpit side)). Also, you can clearly see that the car is all red around the cockpit area, while reflection on the HALO still has white and red around cockpit like on SF16-H. You can also see that rear edge of the HALO mount on the car is not parallel with the front edge of the cockpit and that there are some jugged edges on the bottom left part of the HALO screaming that it was badly cut from different image. If I am not mistaken, helmet cam picture was taken from video where Brundle drove F10 at Fiorano for SkyF1.

Even though we can get an idea how it would look from this pic, I wouldn't take it seriously because of two reasons:
1. Driver's eye level is lower than that seen in the picture since camera is mounted on top of the helmet
2. It is clearly a bad photoshop and by that we can't be sure if proportions of the HALO device are correct (eg. we can't know if it's height, position and size are correctly shown in that picture)

FW17

I thought 2 supports as with the Aeroscreen would have been a good option that could have been tried

Jolle
Jolle

FW17 wrote:I thought 2 supports as with the Aeroscreen would have been a good option that could have been tried

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... uammgh.jpg
Because a "beam" right in front of you won't bother you, but a beam in sight if you look at an apex does.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i'm rather sure that in the end, there will be a unanamous decision that the call for halo comes just too fast and that windtunnel effects are greater than imagined and would prove problematic for stability, disruptance of pre-calculated airflow, the mention that this device is implemented despite there having been an agreement for the 2017 design in which development progress has been made for years, but there has been no definitive decision back then regarding a halo, so it would influence the sport negatively, be a cause for fuel usage, for mirror visibility, and lastly but not least, visibility for the driver. - and to top it all off, there might be also mention regarding the device has been developed by Ferrari which had driving experience with it thus causing a potential 'advantage' over the rest of the field. not to mention there's still the danger of not being able to escape when upside down - Alonso could not have gotten out of his vehicle.

based upon all the above, i'd say that, despite the alarmbells ringing that this might really happen in 17, i still say in the end it will not happen until 2018 or 2019, when a more thoroughly researched path has been done by an independant manufacturer that is able to use a donated / loaned older-spec F1 vehicle to use data without the halo/aeroscreen and data with the halo/aeroscreen, visibility, and more thorough crash tests, where 2 options will be researched,

the halo and the aeroscreen. in the long run, the aeroscreen has the biggest benefits both safety as aesthetically.

in the end again, there is a 'current' 'agreement' regarding the halo device, but not a regulated rule. since there simply is no rule yet enforced regarding this device, there is simply no way the teams can be mandated to make use of the device, so in the end no single team will make use of it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

last but not least, is there no possibility to put pillars in the position where the mirrors are located at the sides? it would imho be less obstructive and immediately a decent position to (mandate) mirror position....know what, i'll see if i can hack a photoshop up.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"