Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Manoah2u wrote:aeroshied, provided there is no avoiding on this device becoming installed, is imho the only way to go. canopies at this point are simply too dangerous.
Simply too dangerous?
Can you point me to some dangerous situation in LMP1, DTM, WTCC or WEC?

People talk like if closed cockpits would be new to racing cars and we´d need to figure out posible unintended consequences #-o

I´ve seen several situations were open cockpits were VERY dangerous, Alonso Spa12, Kimi Silverstone14?, Massa with the spring, Wheldom death, De Villota death....

Can you point me to any death caused by closed cockpits? You´ve stated they´re simply too dangerous, so if open cockpits caused two deaths and several close calls only in past 5 seasons, I guess if you said closed cockpits are too dangerous they must have caused several deaths and a lot more dangerous situations, haven´t they?

Can you provide examples proving they´re more dangerous than open cockpits or it was just bashing something you don´t like?

turbof1

The issue with these half open canopies is that they do not provide enough rigidity for the moment. During the tests, the canopy flexed under impact and hit the test dummy's helmet. In LMP1, the canopy is fully enclosed, giving it enough structural support.

And of course: there is still the issue to extract a driver quickly and safely from the cockpit regardless of the orientation of the car after the crash.

I am all for a canopy; I'd pick it over the halo any day. However, it has to be implemented right. No half arsing over driver safety. The Halo atleast is an improvement for now without compromising on other safety aspects. The canopy will replace it once adequate solutions have been found.
#AeroFrodo

Jolle
Jolle

turbof1 wrote:The issue with these half open canopies is that they do not provide enough rigidity for the moment. During the tests, the canopy flexed under impact and hit the test dummy's helmet. In LMP1, the canopy is fully enclosed, giving it enough structural support.

And of course: there is still the issue to extract a driver quickly and safely from the cockpit regardless of the orientation of the car after the crash.

I am all for a canopy; I'd pick it over the halo any day. However, it has to be implemented right. No half arsing over driver safety. The Halo atleast is an improvement for now without compromising on other safety aspects. The canopy will replace it once adequate solutions have been found.
A LMP1 canopy is more or less a "covered" rollcage/halo. The covering by itself is more esthetics and aero then safety.

A halo would add a few kg to a F1 car, a fully covered cockpit would ad a lot. O2, aircon, extra measures for fast release, etc etc.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:aeroshied, provided there is no avoiding on this device becoming installed, is imho the only way to go. canopies at this point are simply too dangerous.
Simply too dangerous?
Can you point me to some dangerous situation in LMP1, DTM, WTCC or WEC?

People talk like if closed cockpits would be new to racing cars and we´d need to figure out posible unintended consequences #-o

I´ve seen several situations were open cockpits were VERY dangerous, Alonso Spa12, Kimi Silverstone14?, Massa with the spring, Wheldom death, De Villota death....

Can you point me to any death caused by closed cockpits? You´ve stated they´re simply too dangerous, so if open cockpits caused two deaths and several close calls only in past 5 seasons, I guess if you said closed cockpits are too dangerous they must have caused several deaths and a lot more dangerous situations, haven´t they?

Can you provide examples proving they´re more dangerous than open cockpits or it was just bashing something you don´t like?
can you stop the harassmant? seriously.

i have explained it clearly in the post.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mrluke
mrluke

There's really easy answer here.

Give the team safety tests vs the drivers head that they have to pass to race and let the teams come up with solutions.

Can guarantee its going to look and function better than a roll bar designed by committee.

Thunder

Maybe we will get a Video soon to show how the visibility really is. https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/752812969965318144
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Good news for most I think:
"It's an inelegant solution to the problem it is trying to deal with," said Horner, when asked about the halo following Sunday's British Grand Prix.

"I would prefer there to be more research time taken to do the job properly rather than rushing something through that may have other consequences.

"I'm not a big fan of the halo and the limitations that it has.

"I certainly wouldn't vote in favour at the moment."

Although the FIA is determined to see the halo on all cars in 2017, it still has to be voted through by the teams at Strategy Group and F1 Commission levels given its introduction requires a change to the regulations for next season.
From autosport.com

kooleracer
kooleracer

I would be in favor of closed cockpits instead of the halo. The canopy would allow for some interresting camera angles. I hope the FIA makes the canopy with the possibility of new camera positions in mind. We could some great cockpit view footage.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Steven
Owner

ChrisDanger wrote:Good news for most I think:
"It's an inelegant solution to the problem it is trying to deal with," said Horner, when asked about the halo following Sunday's British Grand Prix.

"I would prefer there to be more research time taken to do the job properly rather than rushing something through that may have other consequences.

Although the FIA is determined to see the halo on all cars in 2017, it still has to be voted through by the teams at Strategy Group and F1 Commission levels given its introduction requires a change to the regulations for next season.
From autosport.com
Actually, the FIA can push whatever regulation through, without a vote, based on safety grounds. And by coincidence, the Halo aims to do just that... improve safety.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Steven wrote:
..."I certainly wouldn't vote in favour at the moment."

From autosport.com
Actually, the FIA can push whatever regulation through, without a vote, based on safety grounds. And by coincidence, the Halo aims to do just that... improve safety.
Right you are! From an article in the FIA publication Auto (about cockpit protection):
In theory, from a regulatory perspective, rules need to be set before 1 March for the following season. But they could still be changed following unanimous approval from the teams or on safety grounds by the FIA.

Jolle
Jolle

Steven wrote:

From autosport.com
Don't forget, RedBull is still miffed that the FIA doesn't like their plastic screen option

Jolle
Jolle

Pierre Gasly stated on a Dutch website that from the cockpit he was pleasantly surprised that the halo didn't have any effect on the driving.

(Removed the T from mr Gasly's name)
Last edited by Jolle on 13 Jul 2016, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Pierre Gasly* offcourse is an experienced F1 driver........

'it doesnt change much of the visiblity' , 'but its odd seeing something above your helmet'.
other words, thats a contradiction.

Its Gasly, not Gastly, the same as its Sainz, not Saintz.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
Steven wrote:

From autosport.com
Don't forget, RedBull is still miffed that the FIA doesn't like their plastic screen option
There was mention that the Red Bull screen had a big impact on airflow around the roll hoop inlets. This was likely to have a big impact on teams that use that area for e.g. intercooler inlets. RedBull don't benefit so much from this sort of inlet design so, of course, they would like a system that affects others more than them.

As is usual with Horner, you have to think about the politics behind everything he says.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.