Is there a way to get GPS data from the F1 cars?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Belatti

Is there a way to get GPS data from the F1 cars?

I often hear that its been a while since every team has at its disposal the data from their rivals.
Can we get it? :)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Tim.Wright

Re: Is there a way to get GPS data from the F1 cars?

At a guess I'd say its part of the live feed monitored by FIA/FOM for fuel flow, yellow flag compliance, timing etc so unless you are physically plugged into the track network or have the credentials to connect via VPN it won't be an easy task.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone hacks the F1 live timing app to retrieve some of this information from the races..
Not the engineer at Force India

Juzh

Tim.Wright wrote:At a guess I'd say its part of the live feed monitored by FIA/FOM for fuel flow, yellow flag compliance, timing etc so unless you are physically plugged into the track network or have the credentials to connect via VPN it won't be an easy task.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone hacks the F1 live timing app to retrieve some of this information from the races..
How are you gonna get to the data which is not streamed to the f1 app? Or do you mean just the F1 app itself?

Tim.Wright

Obviously you can't get what isn't there but the fact that it includes a live track map means the data sent might be useful to pull out some speed measurements. Though Id guess the refresh rate is probably too slow for it to be super useful
Not the engineer at Force India

Juzh

Tim.Wright wrote:Obviously you can't get what isn't there but the fact that it includes a live track map means the data sent might be useful to pull out some speed measurements. Though Id guess the refresh rate is probably too slow for it to be super useful
Refresh rate on speed measurements was actually pretty good last year (when it didn't lag). Could be some interpolation involved though to mask potentially low polling rate, but that is speculation.

Pierce89

Surely the GPS data comes from fia/fom. I can't really see Ferrari letting Red Bull stick a GPS receiver on the Ferrari etc.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Cold Fussion

Your only hope would be to try and intercept the data going to F1 app, which may not even be accurate or updated really slowly. If you don't need it in real time you could reverse engineer GPS data by using the onboard video.