New starting format

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Birdie 29

New starting format

New idea for a starting grid format.
Award points for qualifying, for example the pole sitter gets 10-15 points, P2 gets 8-10 points etc.
On the starting grid, P1 starts on the 10 position, P2 starts on the 9 position, P3 on 8th etc.
Enough points have to be awarded in qualifying to motivate the drivers to go as fast as possible.
With this format, the passing will be incredible.

FrukostScones

Re: New starting format

Birdie 29 wrote:New idea for a starting grid format.
Award points for qualifying, for example the pole sitter gets 10-15 points, P2 gets 8-10 points etc.
On the starting grid, P1 starts on the 10 position, P2 starts on the 9 position, P3 on 8th etc.
Enough points have to be awarded in qualifying to motivate the drivers to go as fast as possible.
with 2015 quly might be tempting (still blashemy though :mrgreen: )

but with the new 2016, where sometimes the drivers won't be able to set their personal best it would be just bingolottery.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

SectorOne

Birdie 29 wrote:With this format, the passing will be incredible.
And just as fake as a DRS overtake.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

noel

Yeah, it wouldn't be complicated at all... I don't want to study calculus just to enjoy F1. No offence.
44 | 22 | 14

Tim.Wright

I'd rather get rid of qually and start the race in the reverse order of the current world championship standings.

It's a formula you can't fùck and it forces you to be a good racer as well as merely being the fastest.

Effects of DNF's are reduced too as they will often mean an improved starting position for the next race...
Not the engineer at Force India

No Lotus

Tim.Wright wrote:I'd rather get rid of qually and start the race in the reverse order of the current world championship standings.

It's a formula you can't fùck and it forces you to be a good racer as well as merely being the fastest.

Effects of DNF's are reduced too as they will often mean an improved starting position for the next race...
How about that system in a "qualifying race" on Saturday? Reverse order the qualifying race with order of finish of that race determining order of start on Sunday.
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1

zac510

Birdie 29 wrote:New idea for a starting grid format.
You're right, the drivers can't be bothered to drive as fast as possible on Sundays. It should be their day off.

Did you join just to post this? Just post it in the "New qualifying format" thread where we can ignore it along with the 35 pages of other golden bullet miracle solutions.
No good turn goes unpunished.

NL_Fer

I think the single paddle clutch is giving allready some exiting starts.

cmF1

I've never been a fan of reverse grids. You'll get teams purposely manipulating the grids by going slow on Saturday to be higher up the grid for Sunday.
プラスとマイナス

Tim.Wright

Unless the grid is reversed by the championship standings. Thats a system you can't mess with.

DiogoBrand

I'm thinking there's one thing that can't be changed in Formula 1: The best must be awarded, not penalized.
If you take the one that was best in qualifying, or in the driver's championship, or whatever it is you come up with, and penalize him for that just so you can have fun watching him overtake the entire field on your TV, you're killing everything that F1 was ever about.

Tim.Wright

DiogoBrand wrote:I'm thinking there's one thing that can't be changed in Formula 1: The best must be awarded, not penalized.
I used to think like that. But then I realised that it's more important to have a fair, consistent system which can't be screwed with and awards the best driver with the championship at the end of it.

Furthermore, why are fastest cars lined up at the front now? Its an arbitrary decision that everyone go along with because that's how it's always been done. But there is no valid, fundamental reason why the fastest cars should start at the front.

Nowadays (actually for the last 10 years) we have had a situation where the fastest guy starts from pole then waltzes off without having to race anyone. Then when he wins the championship there are inevitabily question marks over his talent due to his car advantage. Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Hill are the examples.

Further more, with the current system, the top few drivers are rarely required to do any "racing" due to their pace advantage. Think about that. A race with very little racing is what we've had for many years now.

I don't like gimmicks which introduce random variables. But a constant and elegantly simple solution like gridding the cars in reverse championship order is the ultimate test of a driver's racecraft and theres no way in hell your world champion will have any question marks over his talent if you think for a minute at what he would have had to have done to win it.

F1Arg

Tim.Wright wrote: Furthermore, why are fastest cars lined up at the front now? Its an arbitrary decision that everyone go along with because that's how it's always been done. But there is no valid, fundamental reason why the fastest cars should start at the front.
I see the point and it's thoughtful.

First corner safety might become an issue with that system

henry

F1Arg wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote: Furthermore, why are fastest cars lined up at the front now? Its an arbitrary decision that everyone go along with because that's how it's always been done. But there is no valid, fundamental reason why the fastest cars should start at the front.
I see the point and it's thoughtful.

First corner safety might become an issue with that system
I've seen it argued that qualifying, and sorting the contestants from fastest to slowest, is a substitute for a first lap in the race. If they could all start 22 abreast and race unhindered round the first lap that is the order they would be in.

Like so much of F1 that can be picked apart. If it's a substitute for the first lap they should do it from a standing start. And then have a rolling start.

If a reversed grid resulted in a melee at the start there are many who would welcome it. Just add closed cockpits so that the media don't have to deal with any unpleasantness and I'm sure they'd be very popular. The obligatory re-run of the start after 4 laps could last to the first pit stops.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

tok-tokkie

To me Tim's system has great merit because the starting order can't be fiddled. And the fast drivers have to race everyone.

If there is a qualifying race on Saturday with reverse order starting on Sunday then you get penalized for doing well on Saturday so Saturday becomes a 'slow' race. To avoid that there needs to be significant points awarded for the Saturday race. Say as much as half of Sunday's points for Saturday's qualifying; so 33% for the Saturday race & 66% of the overall points for Sunday.

With reverse order starting it becomes very difficult to know who is going to win. Fans will pay attention to the progress of their favoured driver and cars and watch them progress (or regress) during the race. Will be a very different show. But it will be a lot more interesting than what we currently have. Will take some time for us to get used to it.

The present system is a money arms race. Reverse order starting will bring the poor teams much more into the mix and nullify much of the advantage of the rich teams.