Radio regs for 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316

Re: Radio regs for 2016

bhall II wrote:
f1316 wrote:Right, but the thing is race laps is not apples with apples...
In context, the reasons behind F1's current lack of pace are irrelevant. Slow is less demanding than fast. Full stop.
Broadly, I suppose - it places more physical exertion on the driver- but you could make an argument that pushing older, less advanced cars to their limits was more difficult.

That's very off topic though.

I also don't doubt that next year's changes won't fix the real issues (you need refuelling because then you can have multiple stops without soppy tyres > hence drivers will be able to push - done) but all I was ever saying is they will be faster - potentially record-breakingly so - in response to the MotoGP stuff.

All of which has nothing to do with radios ;)

ringo

I think these rules are just a way for Nico to somehow challenge Hamilton to make the races exciting. Lewis has the occasional brain fart, and without his team keeping him in check; he is more liable to make mistakes or go on the wrong tyres or come in too late into the pits.
Pretty silly way of making the racing more exciting, but i must admit, it will definitely work!
For Sure!!

iotar__

ringo wrote:I think these rules are just a way for Nico to somehow challenge Hamilton to make the races exciting. Lewis has the occasional brain fart, and without his team keeping him in check; he is more liable to make mistakes or go on the wrong tyres or come in too late into the pits.
Pretty silly way of making the racing more exciting, but i must admit, it will definitely work!
Wait a minute, wasn't it Rosberg that was suffering from new radio rules in the beginning of '15 according to some rather weird people/theories here? Now it's suddenly the opposite so I'm putting it the same category of unsubstantial claims or just in case excuses.

The answer is simpler, Ecclestone is flogging some fake changes under the banner of pureness and some people are buying it, the same way they are buying pushing 100%, speed or new aero rules as solutions to F1 problems. When the product is unhealthy and not selling well you pretend to change it, radio, qualifying, start procedures that didn't change anything because they couldn't, double points, UFO cars and so on, these are the new blue bits in washing powder that will make your clothes cleaner.

The product itself stays the same and the solutions to fix it are the same, competitiveness and drivers making a difference. Example, even in a current situation of one engine dominance we could have had three way battle between Lotus, FI and Williams. It was the opposite because F1 is designed like that.

basti313

Now we have two pages of off topic...things like this are not common here...
So maybe we can stop the talk about radio regs not making F1 better/faster/whatever. We all know it will not.

Back to topic:
I am still not sure how it will end up with pit strategy. Anyone more info on this? To me it looks like the driver has to decide when to do a pit stop and what tire to choose. According to the article in the second post, it seems like the pit crew can only call the driver in for "repairs". Is this really true?
Don`t russel the hamster!

ringo

The drive can read the pitwall, like the good old days.

I also think the team can use a series of beeps to inform the driver when to pit, It's not going to be hard at all.
In fact i think Nico or Vettel or was it Alonso use Beeps for communication?
For Sure!!

bhall II

If they're going to be this anal about "alone and unaided," they should make drivers change their own tires.

Just_a_fan

How to tell a driver when to pit when you're not allowed to?

"Lewis, just a reminder to tell us before you enter the pit lane so we can get the tyres ready. Thanks mate".

20 seconds later...

"Guys, I'll be pitting this lap"

Easy. Just a version of the old "Fernando is quicker than you" trick really.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313

If I see it correctly, than the rule is not only about the radio. It is about communication at all. So if they are not allowed to call the driver for a pitstop via radio, then they are also not allowed to do it with coded messages, beeps, "reminders" or pitwall messages. So the question is rather if they are allowed to call the driver or not for a pitstop.
Don`t russel the hamster!

ChrisDanger

iotar__ wrote:Wait a minute, wasn't it Rosberg that was suffering from new radio rules in the beginning of '15 according to some rather weird people/theories here? Now it's suddenly the opposite so I'm putting it the same category of unsubstantial claims or just in case excuses.
The previous restriction was about driver coaching, this one is more about race strategy. No "weirdness" here...

AliMadsen

As I read it, the only changes for 2016 are regarding the start. Not the race.

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... races.html
During races teams are still allowed to use the radio to warn the driver of any on-track dangers, such as track conditions - weather, oil or debris, etc; to inform him if his car has a critical problem, such as a puncture or an overheating engine; to do likewise if rival cars are similarly affected; to issue instructions if the driver needs to pit or retire his car; and to inform him of situations such as marshalling flags in certain corners, race cessation or any instructions they have received relating to the driver from race control.

f1316

bhall II wrote:If they're going to be this anal about "alone and unaided," they should make drivers change their own tires.
the driver shall drive the car alone and unaided".
;)

bhall II

How far do you reckon someone can drive like this without assistance? :lol:

Of course, it's a silly proposition. (This whole thing is a silly proposition.)

ironrose

These new radio reg should favour Kimi.. :D

remember .. "Just leave me alone, I know what I'm doing " & "Yes, yes yes, yes, I'm doing all the time. You don't have to remind every second."

Mr.G

I wonder who will be the first to parse text messages to the steering wheel and let them read out by TTS (text to speech) engine? :D
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

jknights

I am all in favour of less 'help' from the pits but....
Please can someone explain why these are NOT permitted?

7. You may not tell the driver to drive through the pitlane.
8. You may not tell the driver to make his way to the back of the grid.
10. You may not tell the driver to turn off the car.

What advantage does a driver gain from this help?
Thanks.