Radio regs for 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Radio regs for 2016

ringo wrote:The drive can read the pitwall, like the good old days.

https://surensennaf1.files.wordpress.co ... ooper1.jpg

I also think the team can use a series of beeps to inform the driver when to pit, It's not going to be hard at all.
In fact i think Nico or Vettel or was it Alonso use Beeps for communication?
For years now they have "shift beeps". When they hear a beep, they shift up.

bhall II
bhall II

At one point in the race, Raikkonen's engineer told him that he'd be "racing quite a few cars during this stint. We know you can do it." The way it was all stated made that last bit sound like a coded message to say Raikkonen could turn up the power if needed.

Henk
Henk

I think they should put a wall between radio messaging and data send from the car. This would make it impossible to see details coded messages.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

As expected:

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/07/ ... n-control/
Although F1 team radio has been massively restricted in 2016, McLaren’s engineers can still be heard giving orders in codes. These are changed for every event, just in case another team is listening in – secretive indeed.

FrukostScones

Motorsport.com ‏@Motorsport 54s54 seconds ago

FIA revises F1 radio communication limits from Hungarian GP: http://bit.ly/2awKWEM #F1

From now on, if a team warns a driver that there is a problem with the car it must include an instruction that forces the driver to come into the pits for necessary repairs.

This will automatically result in a hefty time penalty that would discourage any team using a potential safety issue for performance benefits.

The new FIA note says that a permitted message is: "Indication of a problem with the car, any message of this sort must include an irreversible instruction to enter the pits to rectify the problem or to retire the car."
posted on autosport forums
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

livinglikethathuh
livinglikethathuh

Isn't this getting out of hand?

The driver can't be fiddling with data pages to monitor temperatures, voltages and pressures through the car; that's the engineers' job.
The radio messages also give us insight on the strategies and also how much of a tech masterpiece these cars are.

I mean, Nico had a gearbox problem and was kinda stuck into 7th, and he flipped some switches and FIXED IT. How cool is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrukostScones

livinglikethathuh wrote:Isn't this getting out of hand?

The driver can't be fiddling with data pages to monitor temperatures, voltages and pressures through the car; that's the engineers' job.
The radio messages also give us insight on the strategies and also how much of a tech masterpiece these cars are.

I mean, Nico had a gearbox problem and was kinda stuck into 7th, and he flipped some switches and FIXED IT. How cool is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
diabolic, for the purists this is pure blasphemy.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

This is what gets me, quote from BBC F1 article

"But the FIA is concerned that the cars are too complicated, and do not need to have such complex control systems.

Part of the intention of the radio ban was to force teams to simplify the cars, but this has not happened."

If making them simpler was their intention, why not just limit engine modes to 2, race & qualifying, with the only other variable to adjust being brake balance, and that's it.

dans79

hollowBallistix wrote: If making them simpler was their intention, why not just limit engine modes to 2, race & qualifying, with the only other variable to adjust being brake balance, and that's it.
Because the FIA is run by idiots!
197 104 103 7

markc

dans79 wrote:
hollowBallistix wrote: If making them simpler was their intention, why not just limit engine modes to 2, race & qualifying, with the only other variable to adjust being brake balance, and that's it.
+1 for you!
Why do the simple things when it can be super complex and cost lots and be politically manipulated.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

markc wrote:
dans79 wrote:
+1 for you!
Why do the simple things when it can be super complex and cost lots...
Because engineers.

ojlopez
ojlopez

dans79 wrote:
I totally agree with you dans79 and Ballistix. PU's should be autonomous enough to "self fix" whatever problem appears. The steering wheel should only have these buttons:
-Pit Lane Speed Limiter
-Drink
-Brake Balance
-Overtake
-Dry/Rain/Qualy modes
-DRS

And that's it. No more fiddling with the differentials or the SOC or the engine mode or whatever. The software in the PU should self manage the harvesting and deploying, fault correction (for example, in ROS case, to skip 7th gear and just display an error message so the driver is aware).

Pilots are focusing more on optimizing the PU and less on driving.

dans79

ojlopez wrote:Pilots are focusing more on optimizing the PU and less on driving.
Just yesterday, Alonso unabashedly explained why that is, and it's not the engines fault.

roadandtrack.com
"I'm not at all happy for some things that are happening: we can never drive the cars to their real limit; we can never attack as much as we would like because the tires don't allow you to...
Personally I've got no problem with the complexity of the engines, or what's needed to maintain them. What irritates the **** out of me, is the governing bodies complete inability to write clean, concise rules, stick to them, or apply them consistently.
197 104 103 7

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

So, the teams hate the restrictions, the drivers hate them, the pundits hate them and the fans hate them. What does the FIA do about it? Double down on the rules and make the penalties worse.

This sport is being ruined from within by out of touch egotistical morons.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

What we had in previous seasons with one driver asking what (and how) their teammate was driving in order to gain advantage over them is just wrong on so many levels; the most important being driver skill and moral levels (both of which negatively affect fairness and fan enjoyment of F1). Radio messages used in this way is cheating by another name.
It is in F1's interest not to have radio transmissions that can be interpreted as driver coaching.

With the FIA's latest enhancement of radio ban rules, they seem to be insinuating that Nico was trying to get better performance from the car rather than having a gearbox problem. This might not be so, but it is difficult to know the truth (either way) without the telemetry though.