Mercedes proposes 20hp boost for trailing rivals

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dot235
dot235

Mercedes proposes 20hp boost for trailing rivals

A surprising proposal by Mercedes could help solve the issue of Mercedes' seemingly endless domination in the new 'power unit' era. As many predicted a third consecutive season of regular silver-coloured one-twos this year, the so-called 'Power Unit Working Group' was this week meeting in London.

The group has been tasked with tabling proposals for the future of the engine regulations at the Bahrain grand prix in early April, with the headline problem being the big performance difference between Mercedes and the other three power unit suppliers. Germany's Auto Bild Motorsport claims that a proposal made by Mercedes is that Ferrari, Renault and Honda be allowed to turn up their 'fuel flow' by a factor of 2 per cent.

With Mercedes standing still, that would give the trailing three almost 20 extra horse power, and potentially satisfy the F1 Commission's demand for 'performance convergence'.

If Sebastian Vettel was in charge, however, the Ferrari driver would probably scrap the current restrictions on fuel flow and usage altogether. "As a sportsman, I think formula one should be about who can drive his car the fastest, not who is best at saving fuel," the German told Sport Bild in a pre-season edition. (GMM)

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/20948 ... ing-rivals

--------------------

What's going on with F1? This is starting to turn into a one big circus.

turbof1

Re: MERCEDES PROPOSES 20HP BOOST FOR TRAILING RIVALS

Can we please do that without caps? This is not facebook. Rewritten in normal characters.
#AeroFrodo

toraabe
toraabe

Ok but mercedes will still be ahead because they will have less fuel in their car so they will be lighter ... :)

bhall II
bhall II

dot235 wrote:What's going on with F1? This is starting to turn into a one big circus.
It's always been a circus. Now it's becoming a freak show.

turbof1

Re: Mercedes proposes 20hp boost for trailing rivals

The source, f1today, isn't the most reliable one. I wouldn't bet on it.
#AeroFrodo

GPR-A duplicate2

This is total apathy! If Mercedes is coming out and offering this kind of suggestion, it means they are quite a lot ahead of others and even by offering a 20BHP boost for others, they don't feel threatened. This is mockery of other manufacturers. Even if this is a great idea, it's a shame on the state of affairs in F1.

bhall II
bhall II

GPR-A wrote:If Mercedes is coming out and offering this kind of suggestion, it means they are quite a lot ahead of others...
Not necessarily. The last thing Mercedes wants right now is wholesale change, because it's far from guaranteed that the team's current advantage would hold. At the same time, they're also aware that boring races led by the same team week in, week out do nothing but amplify calls for wholesale change.

By proposing a solution on their own terms, they're trying to ensure that the worst possible outcome is parity with others, not falling behind.

But you're right; this is an absolutely pitiful indictment of the sport.

turbof1

So apparently f1today got it from auto bild. Auto bild has been wrong on many occasions before. I'm taking this with a pinch of salt for now. Especially since it already got agreed black boxes and tokens get scrapped next year, making room for free development within the boundaries of 4-5 PUs a season. That should give the competition enough room to make up more then 20hp.

It might have been misunderstood and the 2% could apply on all manufacturers, Mercedes included. That sounds quite reasonable within the pursuit of more speed in 2017.

Let's not get into a mass hysteria just because one questionable source quoted another questionable source on something in the off season. If other more reputed sources also start to report on it, then you can be worried.
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

turbof1 wrote:Let's not get into a mass hysteria just because one questionable source quoted another questionable source on something in the off season. If other more reputed sources also start to report on it, then you can be worried.
Ten years ago, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with that. These days, nothing surprises me, as it seems no idea is too stupid for F1.

Gaz.
Gaz.

In 65 seasons can anyone remember a team offering a leg up to a rival before? I'm not counting things like Mclaren obtaining a supply of engines to Brawn as Mclaren didn't think Brawn/Honda would be rivals for the following season, I'm talking genuine offers of assistance between expected title rivals.
Forza Jules

FrukostScones

AMUS also reported that alledged Mercedes Proposal

bloody idiotic...

if those PU manufacturers can't close the gap with development freedom let them suffer.

only because RB is crying and secretly have taken over F1 (just check what Horner is talking)...

Bloody awful.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jolle
Jolle

It's a very smart and political statement of Mercedes. Bit arrogant, but it amuses me. The 2% increase is meaningless for races. The reason for that is the 100kg of fuel, so over a race distance you still have the same amount of energy. Raising your fuelflow to 102% in some parts of a race might even make you slower. It does give you a slight boost during qualifying, where Mercedes was really head and shoulders above anybody else for the past two seasons.

If they, like Vettel wants, would remove the flow rule all together, with turbo charging, you'll get, technically, unlimited power, what would make it even more boring because the strategy would be like a bicycle sprint race. Waiting for the last few laps to give it all the boost.

Chene_Mostert

Jolle wrote:It's a very smart and political statement of Mercedes. Bit arrogant, but it amuses me. The 2% increase is meaningless for races. The reason for that is the 100kg of fuel, so over a race distance you still have the same amount of energy. Raising your fuelflow to 102% in some parts of a race might even make you slower. It does give you a slight boost during qualifying, where Mercedes was really head and shoulders above anybody else for the past two seasons.

If they, like Vettel wants, would remove the flow rule all together, with turbo charging, you'll get, technically, unlimited power, what would make it even more boring because the strategy would be like a bicycle sprint race. Waiting for the last few laps to give it all the boost.
I'll pick the bicycle sprint race rather than the current "keep the gap at 2sec Nico, we will attack on the last corner of the last lap" economy run.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Jolle
Jolle

Chene_Mostert wrote:
Jolle wrote:It's a very smart and political statement of Mercedes. Bit arrogant, but it amuses me. The 2% increase is meaningless for races. The reason for that is the 100kg of fuel, so over a race distance you still have the same amount of energy. Raising your fuelflow to 102% in some parts of a race might even make you slower. It does give you a slight boost during qualifying, where Mercedes was really head and shoulders above anybody else for the past two seasons.

I'll pick the bicycle sprint race rather than the current "keep the gap at 2sec Nico, we will attack on the last corner of the last lap" economy run.
That is exactly what you would get. Cars trailing each other as slow as possible and have a 2000hp last lap.

Chene_Mostert

Jolle wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:

That is exactly what you would get. Cars trailing each other as slow as possible and have a 2000hp last lap.
But there will be some action and a "sprint", meaning quick laps, potential driver errors... excitement!
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake