Ugliest F1 helmet liveries

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Starscreamer

Ugliest F1 helmet liveries

Post here the ugliest F1 helmet liveries

Bernoldi this helmet looks at front of a d*ck:

Jaques Villeneuve, never liked this simple child helmet:

:D
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

prof

Re: Ugliest F1 helmet liveries

seezung

DiogoBrand

Please not Hill's :(

Alboreto's helmet remind's me of today's Sauber, in that it's ugly as hell.

But what liked about the helmets before the 2000's is that you could at least distinguish a pattern, something which was every personal to every driver.
Today, even now that they're not allowing drivers to change their designs throughout a season, there are very few liveries that look iconic, most of them are just weird patterns, like you put three different designs on a single helmet.
The only ones that stand out to me are Rosberg's and especially Vettel's Ferrari helmet, which looks brilliant and may well become a classic depending of his results there.

superdowg316

All the ones above are quiet good though, apart from Bernoldi.

Here are some truely ghastly ones:

Davide Valsecchi

Vitantonio Liuzzi

Eddie Irvine

Lewis Hamilton:
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

skoop

I really dislike all the red bull driver helmet liveries. They're just too shiny and sparkly for me.

OneAlex

How can you have Hill's helmet! It's iconic and easily recognisable in its simplicity; if you ever asked an F1 fan to "describe one driver's helmet" it's probably one of the ones most would go for (along with maybe Coulthard's Scottish flag one). Good luck getting anyone to describe or draw one of Kimi's helmets.

I agree with Diogo that (while some helmets look kinda cool) most helmets today all look a bit of a mess and you would struggle to pick them out easily, particularly over the course of a driver's career. If Vettel had kept his white-with-German-stripes helmet it could have become the iconic helmet everyone recognised him for and remembered as his, but it's already gone chrome.

And we all know Vettel can't resist a bit of added bling:

Gerhardsa

Ugg... Heiki's Angry Birds helmet was @55 ugly!
Same goes for Buttons Brawn GP Helmet

Nicest design I've ever seen is probably Andre Lotterer.

Gerhardsa

skoop wrote:I really dislike all the red bull driver helmet liveries. They're just too shiny and sparkly for me.
Agree with you completely except for this one (sorry i'm hi-jacking the thread now). This is a seriously nice "hat"

krisfx

OneAlex wrote:How can you have Hill's helmet! It's iconic and easily recognisable in its simplicity; if you ever asked an F1 fan to "describe one driver's helmet" it's probably one of the ones most would go for (along with maybe Coulthard's Scottish flag one). Good luck getting anyone to describe or draw one of Kimi's helmets.

I agree with Diogo that (while some helmets look kinda cool) most helmets today all look a bit of a mess and you would struggle to pick them out easily, particularly over the course of a driver's career. If Vettel had kept his white-with-German-stripes helmet it could have become the iconic helmet everyone recognised him for and remembered as his, but it's already gone chrome.

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Seb ... 722261.jpg
It doesn't have to be good looking to be recognisable. Also Vettel's is a tribute in itself to Schumacher's karting helmet.

Mr Brooksy

OneAlex wrote:How can you have Hill's helmet! It's iconic and easily recognisable in its simplicity; if you ever asked an F1 fan to "describe one driver's helmet" it's probably one of the ones most would go for (along with maybe Coulthard's Scottish flag one). Good luck getting anyone to describe or draw one of Kimi's helmets.

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Seb ... 722261.jpg
Damn straight! Hill's helmet (yes it's not encrusted with jewels and has more lines than a telemetry read out) is one of the most recognisable and elegant, along with Senna, Hakkinen and Coulthards. Even Vettels 15 helmet fits in with this crowd, unlike his RB attempts.

Don't confuse pretty with busy. Two very different things.

Helmets today just seem too busy to be classed as good looking. It's almost like they think "how many colours, logos and sparkling things can I cram onto this lid?"
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Just_a_fan

Damon Hill's helmet was in honour of his father - two time champion Graham Hill. Also the only man ever to win the F1 championship, Indy 500 and Le Mans 24hr. The helmet design comes from the London Rowing Club as Graham Hill was a keen rower in early life.

Damon Hill's son raced in a version of the design in his brief racing career.

There's more motorsport history in that helmet design than all of the "pretty" designs put together!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Gaz.

Up until a few years ago, perhaps the mid 2000s or even as late as 2010 helmet liveries would often mean something to the driver, Mansell, Senna & Hill were the obvious ones, same for Alonso and Hamilton's was simple once you had the answer, so with that in mind what was Jaques Villeneuve thinking about with that awful lid?
Forza Jules

Just_a_fan

The best ever helmet design, worn by the best driver ever:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ChrisDanger

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, and some people are obviously much more critical than others. Some see the helmets at face value, others see beauty in the meaning behind the graphics.

I question the balance that this thread brings to the site. Should we really have an "ugliest X" thread just because there was a "best X" thread? I think not. But to me everything is beautiful if you look deeply enough.