one paddle start procedure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: one paddle start procedure

9.2.2 Designs which allow specific points along the travel range of the clutch operating device to be identified by the driver or assist him to hold a position are not permitted
This part rules out the two step single paddle, or "notch" proposed by some posters here.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

jknights

So ultimately the rules are moving towards 'automatic' F1 cars?
When do they add the Scalectrix controllers to each car?

These technical rules are so tedious.

giantfan10

jknights wrote:So ultimately the rules are moving towards 'automatic' F1 cars?

so taking away an electronic aid to the start procedure and making the drivers use feel to start is "moving towards automatic F1 cars"?

ohwell

"Clutch by wire" is the closest thing we'll see to an actual mechanical start. Putting a tactile component into the start procedure has already made grid position almost irrelevant as demonstrated in both races so far.

jknights

giantfan10 wrote:
jknights wrote:So ultimately the rules are moving towards 'automatic' F1 cars?

so taking away an electronic aid to the start procedure and making the drivers use feel to start is "moving towards automatic F1 cars"?
There is no feel as the system is fly by wire so it is more on/off.
Of course you may know better.

Pat Pending

But do you really 'feel' the bite point through the clutch pedal/paddle? I mean, really? I've driven a manual car for 30 odd years & I reckon you discern the bite point through the car's behaviour as a whole, i.e. you can tell drive starts to get to the wheels as the car either starts to move or 'leans' onto the brake. I'm not sure you feel that through the clutch pedal in isolation.

There are plenty of throttle by wire systems out there today and people seem to 'feel' traction points just fine.

Anyway, until any of us have first hand experience of the F1 systems it's all somewhat academic.