Bernie Ecclestone hints he could fund development of new F1 engine

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mycadcae

Bernie Ecclestone hints he could fund development of new F1 engine

An alternative F1 engine could still be on the cards after Bernie Ecclestone suggested he would pay for its development.

Late in 2015 the FIA called for an expression of interest in providing F1 with a budget engine from 2017 onwards after Ferrari vetoed proposals to impose a cost cap on customer supplies of the current V6 hybrid unit.

Those proposals appeared to have been shelved after the manufacturers agreed in January to reduce the price they sell their engines for and guarantee all teams a supply to avoid a repeat of the Red Bull saga of 2015.

However, the subject looks set to return after Ecclestone hinted he would be willing to pick up the development tab for a new engine to ensure a closer and more competitive F1 grid.

"I've proposed that we would engage with a manufacturer to make a power unit that would develop the same kind of power as the current power units are developing," he told Sky Sports News HQ.

"We will contract for whatever it costs and we will supply it to the teams for £7m rather than the £26m or £28m that they pay now.

"So that hopefully will be a big help and it will certainly stop them having an inferior engine. So I hope that happens."

Force India's chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer is all for reducing costs, but isn't sure that a new engine is the route to take.

"He hasn't discussed it with me specifically, but obviously I heard about it last year," Szafnauer told Sky Sports when asked about Ecclestone's comments.

"I have reservations as to what that is going to do to the sport. We can't have a two tier power train, although we are all for lower cost engines. In the days of the V8 we had engines at €8m and now they are twice that.

"We should look at ways of reducing the cost of the power train which will help everybody in F1 from a financial stand point. But I think that could be achieved without having to introduce two separate regulations.

source skysport
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

Peter1919

Re: Bernie Ecclestone hints he could fund development of new F1 engine

Bernie seems to be obsessed with this idea which is a total non starter as it would be impossible to ensure a level playing field between the hybrids and non hybrid powertrains nevermind the fact no team even manufacturer teams are going to be happy paying double the costs for no advantage in races.

toraabe

Since he don't like Mercedes for one or another reason, he cannot stand that their engine is the best one.
The result if this happens, can be that most of the factory teams leavs F1 alltogether ...

bhall II

toraabe wrote:Since he don't like anything that reduces revenues for one or another reason, he cannot stand that a prolonged and near-complete lack of on-track competition seems to be driving fans away from the sport.

The result if this happens, can be that most of the factory teams leavs F1 alltogether, possibly opening the door for F1 to reclaim its status as the "pinnacle of motorsport" instead of the "pinnacle of motorsport marketing."
I couldn't agree more. :wink:

Unc1eM0nty

This is pure bu11 $hit from Bernie, the man is a tight as a Gnats Chuff, apart from the idea being totally unworkable its inconceivable that he would pay for it, this is the man who screws track owners into near bankruptcy, now we're supposed to believe he's into wealth distribution, joke!....... a very bad joke!

mycadcae

cost today very high

" "I have reservations as to what that is going to do to the sport. We can't have a two tier power train, although we are all for lower cost engines. In the days of the V8 we had engines at €8m and now they are twice that "
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

Just_a_fan

It's just another attempt to scare Mercedes. Bernie wants his ball back!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

rjsa

bhall II wrote:
toraabe wrote:Since he don't like anything that reduces revenues for one or another reason, he cannot stand that a prolonged and near-complete lack of on-track competition seems to be driving fans away from the sport.

The result if this happens, can be that most of the factory teams leavs F1 alltogether, possibly opening the door for F1 to reclaim its status as the "pinnacle of motorsport" instead of the "pinnacle of motorsport marketing."
I couldn't agree more. :wink:
Hear Hear! [-o<

FrukostScones

It's no secret that Bernie E. and Dietrich M. have teamed up to make F1 great again. ; )
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jolle

he will just deduct it from the prize money as extra expenses... so, despite the teams getting a cheaper engine, they will be worse off :P (and bernie got the money)

Xwang

Well Mr Ecclestone, Mr Red Bull and all the others (if any) customer teams can (if they want) choose to pay someone to create a new engine which fulfils the regulations and which is better than Mercedes and Ferrari ones.
Mr Red Bull in particular has spent a lot of money on aero and chassis, he can spend money also to create an engine if he is not satisfied by the actual ones.

Andres125sx

I´d prefer is he fund his own retirement

bhall II

Regardless of Ecclestone's true motivation here, the idea isn't without merit.

Formula 1 has become a sport in which only the works outfits of major manufacturers have a legitimate chance to compete for Championships, and the rules are so convoluted and restricted that there's little incentive for new manufacturers to join the fray, especially given the struggles experienced by Renault and Honda.

What boardroom in its collective right mind would ever approve undertaking a marketing - "sporting" - endeavor that's guaranteed to cost a f*ck-tonne of money, but is not at all guaranteed to deliver positive results?

Teams need horsepower; certain automakers want hybrids. From my point of view, it's easy to recognize where the sport's attention should be focused, and I'm in favor of damn-near anything that has a shot to wrest away control from shortsighted manufacturers.

Seriously: what does it say about the sport's health if one Bernard Charles Ecclestone is willing to pay for something, a situation more uncommon than unicorn sightings?

Raleigh

Unc1eM0nty wrote:This is pure bu11 $hit from Bernie, the man is a tight as a Gnats Chuff, apart from the idea being totally unworkable its inconceivable that he would pay for it, this is the man who screws track owners into near bankruptcy, now we're supposed to believe he's into wealth distribution, joke!....... a very bad joke!
Bernie isn't generous, but he's perfectly prepared to spend (or give up) money to get his own way...

dans79

Andres125sx wrote:I´d prefer is he fund his own retirement
I'd probably throw a party if that was announced!
197 104 103 7