Safety Device to prevent cars riding over the rear

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Safety Device to prevent cars riding over the rear

In light of Alonso's crash into the rear end of Esteban Gutierrez and other high profile rear end crashes; I think the most damaging are the ones where one of the trailing car's front wheels hit a rear wheel of the car in the front. From what I can tell, the resulting kinetic energy from the two cars colliding plus the rotational kinetic energy from the wheels can launch the following car into the air and sometimes totally break the suspension of both cars leading to loss of control, flipped cars, flying wheels and just general carnage. I think this can easily be mitigated by equipping the cars with semi-wheel covers, fairings, or trailing fenders on the back side of the rear wheels. I propose using the back-side rather than fully covering the wheel in order to keep the look close to what is there now. I am not sure what the exact term of this sort of fender is but I have posted a photo below. The lateral profile of this bodywork would be shaped to still allow cars to ride wing to wheel for close racing. There might be some aerodynamic benefits of using them too. What do you guys think?

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

machin

Re: Safety Device to prevent cars riding over the rear

Like they have in Indycar.

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Just_a_fan

Small point: Alonso didn't take off over the rear wheel of the Haas. His front wheel folded up over the tub and all was well until the car dug in to the gravel and rolled. Not sure your addition would have changed anything.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

machin wrote:Like they have in Indycar.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... ZbfC6faM1w
Yeah, basically that same thing adapted for F1.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:Small point: Alonso didn't take off over the rear wheel of the Haas. His front wheel folded up over the tub and all was well until the car dug in to the gravel and rolled. Not sure your addition would have changed anything.
He broke the suspension and lost control. Which hopefully will be prevented by this device if designed right.

i70q7m7ghw

He would have broken the suspension even if there was a fairing.