Add weight to faster cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hurril

Re: Add weight to faster cars

henry wrote:
hurril wrote:
henry wrote:
I think many more people care which driver wins rather than which car. In my proposal all the Constructors would race for their championship and the drivers theirs. To help find the best driver the cars would be handicapped to keep them, the cars, closer in capability. I wouldn't agree that the list would be as static. Right now just 2 drivers have the opportunity to be WDC and another 2 on the podium. I think by handicap we might get another 3 or 4 into contention.

But all this is just we fans tinkering with a broken system. I have proposed before, (http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ng#p605270 ), that the drivers should each drive one race in each of the cars so separating the two championships, albeit not perfectly. So this was another try a bit less perfect. You didn't like it.
Right but my criticism remains since you're negating any technical development; nothing in it for the constructors then. An optimum strategy for them would be to save the money since there's no return on investment marketingwise.

If you want to testo only the drivers, then standardize the cars. That is a different sport.
No, my proposal was to separate WCC from WDC. Saturday WCC, Sunday WDC. If you want to win one and be the team for the latter there are a lot of reasons to continuously improve.

The problem is that the general public only care about WDC. Try asking people for a list of names of F1 world champions since 2000. I'd be surprised if more than 10% mention a team as opposed to drivers.
That's a non sequiteur though as your proposal keeps that the way it is then. People will still not, if you are right, recognize the brand of the car. F1 is not for everyone and nothing can be.

You are describing two different sports that already exist. Question is why you want them both to be called F1.

Jersey Tom

Adding a ballast penalty to a fast car sounds ridiculous to me.

As for the "spec series" debate... it's varying degrees. No series is completely open. Spec Racer Ford is about as spec as you get. NASCAR is middle ground - there's more that's open than you might think.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

henry

hurril wrote:
henry wrote:
hurril wrote:
Right but my criticism remains since you're negating any technical development; nothing in it for the constructors then. An optimum strategy for them would be to save the money since there's no return on investment marketingwise.

If you want to testo only the drivers, then standardize the cars. That is a different sport.
No, my proposal was to separate WCC from WDC. Saturday WCC, Sunday WDC. If you want to win one and be the team for the latter there are a lot of reasons to continuously improve.

The problem is that the general public only care about WDC. Try asking people for a list of names of F1 world champions since 2000. I'd be surprised if more than 10% mention a team as opposed to drivers.
That's a non sequiteur though as your proposal keeps that the way it is then. People will still not, if you are right, recognize the brand of the car. F1 is not for everyone and nothing can be.

You are describing two different sports that already exist. Question is why you want them both to be called F1.
You're right. F1 is an anachronism. A technical team sport that is treated by most people as a simple contest between the drivers. The OP was, I think , trying to find a way to make that fiction reality.

I doubt that will ever happen but it is interesting to debate.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus