Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Thanks for the clarification there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

basti313

GPR-A wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Kvyat celebrated his F1 career extension with trademark performance ;-) : bad Q, bad start, collision, penalty and last but not least race pace. I'm sorry I couldn't help myself but that's reality not I like blue colour he should be in team X.

Noticed how they tried the old trick of making up interest through helpful media (Force India link) seconds before keeping him?
During the last races Kvyat´s peformance has been much better. I am sure that TR has taken into account this when they have confirmed the Russian. They are not so stupid to bu fooled by a hypothetical negociation between Kvyat and FI.
Based on what I heard on Sky F1, it was not so exciting performance by Gasly in the just concluded tests that made the Red Bull management feel that he is not ready yet to for F1 and have gone ahead with retaining Kvyat.

May be they are worried about repeating the mistakes of pushing Kvyat too soon in to F1 and into Red Bull Senior team. The question is, what is Gasly going to do next year. Will he become redundant if some other young kid rises?
I think this is the point. They have spoiled Kvyat with a much too early promotion and Ves is showing as well, that some time in a youth series would have helped.
Additionally Kvyat is good for the Russian market, so I guess they use this and go for giving Gasly time for experience outside of F1.

I do not see him at another team, as this would make no sense. They would not have the full data and could not really judge his performance there. This is not the usual way of the RedBull program.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Vasconia

ChrisDanger wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:At the same time, it's reported that Gasly did not get on the best side of the RB camp by claiming he'd be getting Kvyat's TR seat.
Reporters are full of crap. He was asked by a "reporter" about possibly replacing Kvyat mid-season, to which he responded favourably, of course, albeit surprised. This was then twisted into him claiming that he would replace Kvyat. Which is totally not what happened. The media like to make things up then report them as truth. Don't perpetuate the lie.
The art of taking sentences out of context and make headlines that dont have anything in common with the reality. :(

PlatinumZealot

iotar__ wrote:Kvyat celebrated his F1 career extension with trademark performance ;-) : bad Q, bad start, collision, penalty and last but not least race pace. I'm sorry I couldn't help myself but that's reality not I like blue colour he should be in team X.

Noticed how they tried the old trick of making up interest through helpful media (Force India link) seconds before keeping him?
For once I agree with you. Is Jesus coming tonight?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

iotar__

PlatinumZealot wrote:

For once I agree with you. Is Jesus coming tonight?
That's OK I prefer reality as a reference point. Let's start with Rosberg when three years ago it was so obvious it would be like Button. Only if you ignored speed and other things.

As for Kvyat 'usual bad Q' comment was rather unfair, he was often quick over one lap before '16. He may be quicker than Gasly, I don't know, but let's not pretend he got the second chance. More like fourth or fifth ;-).

OneAlex

Here's one: They extended his contract to next year... is that a certain drive though?

They delayed making the announcement until the last few races as he had to prove himself, and he was on a "last chance" warning. We saw how quickly he was dropped from Red Bull, so I assume RB's contracts are flexible enough that they can kick a driver out of his seat without him managing to sue them for a "promised" seat (as we've seen some drivers attempt to do for the lower teams).

What if he really screws up the next 3 races? Could TR and RB reconsider and give it to Gasly over the Winter break?

Or if he struggles in the opening races with the new car next year, will they stand by him, or shove him into a reserve driver role?

Manoah2u

Watch Kvyat drive up until Sochi 2017 then get dumped in favour of Gasly, then see Sirotkin get a Sauber drive in 2018 and no more Kvyat.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sniffit

Manoah2u wrote:Watch Kvyat drive up until Sochi 2017 then get dumped in favour of Gasly, then see Sirotkin get a Sauber drive in 2018 and no more Kvyat.
After Sirotkins rather poor performance this year that will only happen if he comes with some rather large purses of Russian gold.

edu2703

My sources in Manor says Antonio Giovinazzi probably will make his F1 debut with Manor next year. Pascal Werhlein probably will sign with Haas.

My sources at Force India says Felipe Nasr is only waiting a 'OK' from his sponsors to sign the contract with the team. The official announcement will be next week.

iotar__

Sniffit wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:Watch Kvyat drive up until Sochi 2017 then get dumped in favour of Gasly, then see Sirotkin get a Sauber drive in 2018 and no more Kvyat.
After Sirotkins rather poor performance this year that will only happen if he comes with some rather large purses of Russian gold.
I didn't watch a lot of GP2 but true Sirotkin didn't really deserve F1 seat but neither did/does Nasr and he is still here and a candidate for every team. Although Kvyat stays I wouldn't worry about Russian gold too much since at the moment it's clearly inferior to:
- Swedish gold - Ericsson,
- Brazilian gold - Nasr,
- British gold - Palmer
- German gold - Vehrlein
- French gold(?) - Ocon
- Canadian gold - Stroll
- Mexican gold - Gutierrez (can we spare Perez?)
- international/Italian gold of marketing x3 - ah never mind.. =P~
edu2703 wrote:My sources in Manor says Antonio Giovinazzi probably will make his F1 debut with Manor next year. Pascal Werhlein probably will sign with Haas.

My sources at Force India says Felipe Nasr is only waiting a 'OK' from his sponsors to sign the contract with the team. The official announcement will be next week.
- 2/3 don't make sense to me from performance point of view but whatever,
- Giovinazzi: no idea, for free or is anyone paying? Ferrari?

edu2703

My source didn't give me many details. If Werhlein leaves, which can happen because there are negotiations between him and Haas, Giovinazzi will get the seat. Ocon will stay.

basti313

edu2703 wrote:My source didn't give me many details. If Werhlein leaves, which can happen because there are negotiations between him and Haas, Giovinazzi will get the seat. Ocon will stay.
This sounds crazy to me. All Wehrlein needs to do is to keep his head down and stay in the Merc family. Like this he will get a Merc Works team seat in 2018 or 2019.
Why should he start to go crazy with a Haas seat???
Don`t russel the hamster!

Sniffit

iotar__ wrote:I didn't watch a lot of GP2 but true Sirotkin didn't really deserve F1 seat but neither did/does Nasr and he is still here and a candidate for every team.
To be quite honest I think that you are a bit unfair, not just to Nasr and Sirotkin but to alot of other drivers. If you get to F1 these days you are a pretty damned good driver, sure we make fun of drivers like Maldonado and so but that doesn't take from them that they are among the best there is for track racing. If we just wanted the absolute best, irrespective of any sponsorship money half the teams would have to quit, just because you join a smaller team and gets economic backing it doesn't mean that it's undeserved.

ME4ME

Fernley has stated, though, the team's financial situation is strong enough that a driver with considerable sponsorship is not a necessity.

"You are never going to turn away talent that has support with it," added Fernley.

"But at the end of the day, Nico hasn't brought money in, so it's not going to make a difference to us for our plans for next year.

"It's a clean sheet of paper and Vijay will look at each person on merit."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... r-for-2017

Great to hear. Hopefully they do as they say. I wouldn't mind seeing either of the Manor drivers getting a chance in next years Force India.

edu2703

Very ironic a team that hires Alfonso Cellis Jr. and Nikita Mazepin as test drivers say they don't hire drivers only based on their money.

As Fernley said, the decision will be taken by Vijay. And he has already decided, influenced by Ecclestone. It's only a matter of time until Nasr be announced. As my source said:"next week"