Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Vasconia

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Manoah2u wrote:
Button-Hamilton was a nice pairing BUT that race in canada where they collided and Button in the end brilliantly won, did cause the
'friendship' to cool a fair bit and cause some controversy.

I don't think however that Alonso would actually use his car in such a way as Rosberg has against Lewis. Like Schumacher nearly squashed
Barrichello in the wall in 2010.

But i'm really in for some more excitement.
Every drive who can be as fast as Hamilton and fight against him will have some controversy with him. It happened with Alonso, with Button(even if he is a very calm guy) and it happens with Rosberg. The only chance to prevent this is to choose a clearly slower driver than him. But I dont see Mercedes doing this.

Well both incidents are rather different. I am Schumi fan but what happened in 2010 was too much, even that Rubens was too stubborn and stupid to try to overtake when he saw Schumi closing the other in that way. And I personally see Fernando doing exactly the same as Nico did. He is a tough guy to overtake.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

No, i don't see Alonso overtaking, i rather see Alonso getting heated because Hamilton won't move for 'faster' Alonos. "Lewis, Fernando is faster than you. can you confirm?"

Alonso brings marketing to Mercedes and more exposure and is a more complete, capable driver than Rosberg. For this reason alone Mercedes would take Alonso over Rosberg.
Meanwhile, i think Hamilton's days @ Mercedes are numbered either way. Not because he will get sacked, but because HE might want to leave for a new challange.
if he makes this WDC again, he's a 4-time world champion where he managed 3 times with Merc. I am doubtfull whether Merc will be as dominant in 2017 as they have been since 2014.
Hamilton COULD be looking for a Ferrari seat, as imho, that would be the final team he'd go to to complete his 'F1 career'.

It could be as crazy as

Vettel-Hamilton @ Ferrari,
Alonso-Wehrlein @ Mercedes
Verstappen-Ricciardo @ RedBull
Button-Bottas @ Williams
Palmer-Rosberg @ Renault
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GPR-A duplicate2

Manoah2u wrote:It could be as crazy as

Vettel-Hamilton @ Ferrari,
Alonso-Wehrlein @ Mercedes
Verstappen-Ricciardo @ RedBull
Button-Bottas @ Williams
Palmer-Rosberg @ Renault
McLaren quits F1? And you want Alonso to be a champion without any opposition, either from inside or outside. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would love to see Alonso become champion one more time, before he hangs his helmet.

Kiril Varbanov

One thing is for sure - Alonso has to leave Mclaren if he wants to fight for podium and/or WDC.
Ron and co placed their bets on a limping horse with no potential.

erlik
erlik

Similar thinkig of mine:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/5658 ... los_Sainz/

Anyway I don't believe in Rosberg -> Ferrari and Alonso -> Mercedes moves. I think they will stay where they are . Somehow I don't see Rosberg fits in Ferrari environment and I am not sure how is his relationship to Vettel. In case that Rosberg is fired by Mercedes, Rosberg will need more Ferrari than Ferrari will need Rosberg. On the other hand, Alonso will bring more disharmony in Mercedes (if Hamilton stays). Wehrlein would be better option as he will be good enough to develop new car but not to jeopardize Hamilton. We will see.

EDIT:

To my previous comment:
erlik wrote:I would like to see Carlos Sainz Jr in Ferrari / Merc or other top team at the time. This would make nice duel between Max and Carlos in time to come. I don't see Carlos in RB as RB will be bound to Max and there were already too much tension between two of them...
someone gave negative vote because it was: " most rediculous envy-fueled reply i've seen" :) Yes, I am envy on every single F1 driver because I am not one :) Other than that I just want to see both of them doing great in their careers and to watch interesting races ... who wins is less important, believe me. Cheers ;)

FrukostScones

Kiril Varbanov wrote:One thing is for sure - Alonso has to leave Mclaren if he wants to fight for podium and/or WDC.
Ron and co placed their bets on a limping horse with no potential.
I think 2017 could be different: New rules (McLaren inspired), new Honda PU, new everything.

I think ALO well advised to stay put, to save face and maybe too harvest the fruits of bitter patience.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manu_Forti

I can see JB going to Williams. He nearly went there last year apparently. I think Ron wants him gone, he was overuled before when he preferrred to keep Magnussen over JB and I think he wants to partner Vandoorne with Alonso. That would be a good partnership for McLaren and I am JB fan.

Would be nice to see him finish where he started too.
"In times of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act" .. George Orwell

SR71

Cold Fussion wrote:So you are proposing that Mercedes dump Rosberg because his relationship with Hamilton is poor, so he can be replaced with Alonso? I'm sure having the two biggest prima donna's in F1 will really make Mercedes management life much easier.
I'm not proposing anything, just adding some new information. I hope that is ok.

You know who is proposing Mercedes being ok without Rosberg? Toto Wolff.

"“Fernando is one of the best drivers in history, I love his character, but our priority now is Nico,” Mercedes motorsport boss Wolff told Spanish paper El Mundo.

“If he does not want to renew, then we will consider other options, like Fernando. [His age is] not a problem – his speed and his motivation are still there.”

http://www.planetf1.com/news/merc-will- ... rg-leaves/

Sounds like Mercedes are giving Nico ZERO pressure to resign.

ME4ME

Manu_Forti wrote:I can see JB going to Williams. He nearly went there last year apparently. I think Ron wants him gone, he was overuled before when he preferrred to keep Magnussen over JB and I think he wants to partner Vandoorne with Alonso. That would be a good partnership for McLaren and I am JB fan.

I see no reason why Jenson would go to Williams. He would be were Mclaren are today - in the midfield. Williams has been near the top because the bigger, more well funded teams have underperformed. Next year, it is likely that both Mclaren and Renault will be in front of Williams. That would make them the 6th fastest team, i.e. outside of the points in normal conditions. I think that Jenson would rather end his F1 career.

Manu_Forti

ME4ME wrote:
Manu_Forti wrote:I can see JB going to Williams. He nearly went there last year apparently. I think Ron wants him gone, he was overuled before when he preferrred to keep Magnussen over JB and I think he wants to partner Vandoorne with Alonso. That would be a good partnership for McLaren and I am JB fan.

I see no reason why Jenson would go to Williams. He would be were Mclaren are today - in the midfield. Williams has been near the top because the bigger, more well funded teams have underperformed. Next year, it is likely that both Mclaren and Renault will be in front of Williams. That would make them the 6th fastest team, i.e. outside of the points in normal conditions. I think that Jenson would rather end his F1 career.
Years with regulation changes are anyones guess as to form, its the best chance for teams to move forward or back and for a team to make a massive improvement. I think you are writing Williams off a tad early there. But its all hypothetical, I have a feeling JB will retire and go race WEC.
"In times of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act" .. George Orwell

SR71

Manu_Forti wrote:
ME4ME wrote:

Years with regulation changes are anyones guess as to form, its the best chance for teams to move forward or back and for a team to make a massive improvement. I think you are writing Williams off a tad early there. But its all hypothetical, I have a feeling JB will retire and go race WEC.
Given the increase in DF for 2017, isn't power going to be more important than ever?

Would you say that Merc are still the front runner due to this? I mean, technically we still dont know where they stand with regards to peak power. They could have even more up their sleeve. I dont think this is true for Renault or Honda.

Thoughts?

Jolle
Jolle

The whole discussion of "who goes well with who", all top rated drivers (Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel) go along fairly well with their team mates as long as they are faster and if they themselves are the most important part of the team. This is not a negative but an essential part of their ruthlessness which makes them a multiple WC.

ME4ME

Manu_Forti wrote:
Possible. :) But money speaks in F1. Williams, however effective they are with the budget they have, in the long haul they aren't going to beat the wealthy teams. I think Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari and Mclaren-Honda will all be in front of Mercedes in 2017. 3 of the 4 already are. Renault, well it might be too early for them, but in time they will go forward.

Manu_Forti

SR71 wrote:
Manu_Forti wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
Given the increase in DF for 2017, isn't power going to be more important than ever?

Would you say that Merc are still the front runner due to this? I mean, technically we still dont know where they stand with regards to peak power. They could have even more up their sleeve. I dont think this is true for Renault or Honda.

Thoughts?
Yeah, your right there and I hadnt really considered that as my post was just concerning JB. Merc are probably going to be in front for 2017 considering their dominance in the last three years but I can see Honda stepping up next year with the token system going. No one stays on top in F1 forever so they would be my bet as Merc's rivals engine wise as its all they do, 2017 will be better but 2018 I think will see them as a supplier being courted. Just my humble view.

SR71

Manu_Forti wrote:
SR71 wrote:
Manu_Forti wrote:

Thoughts?
Yeah, your right there and I hadnt really considered that as my post was just concerning JB. Merc are probably going to be in front for 2017 considering their dominance in the last three years but I can see Honda stepping up next year with the token system going. No one stays on top in F1 forever so they would be my bet as Merc's rivals engine wise as its all they do, 2017 will be better but 2018 I think will see them as a supplier being courted. Just my humble view.
I agree with you Honda is poised to be a real threat... 2017 still feels like it's merc's year as far as PU performance goes.

I think 2017 Renault and Honda will be no further than the way the 2014 season played out, they'll have their new tokenless PU's but they wont be working 100% right out of the bag therefore turning 2017 into another year long test session.